Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Did I jus find a rarity in my penny jar??

Hey everyone!! I was bored tonight and searching my penny jar,, and this 1976 d which is usually nothing special has a very strange 6 on it,, lemme know what you guys think! I posted this by accident on the q and a,, sorry

Comments

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2019 10:58PM

@SilverEagle420 " I posted this by accident on the q and a,, sorry "

No need for sorry, that is the best board for questions. I will post an answer over there.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23, 2019 1:22AM

@SilverEagle420 said:
    I posted this by accident on the q and a,, sorry

That is great! As all such questions that seek an answer should be posted there.

Thanks for using the Q&A Forum FOR Questions and Answers!

https://forums.collectors.com/categories/q-a-forum

Edit to add: I see you purposely posted to both forums. You will get the same answers from both ends.

Enjoy!

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin shown has post-mint damage to the "6" in the date. It is not an error and has no numismatic interest or value.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23, 2019 7:13PM

That was caused by a coin wrapping machine that crimpes the coin roll.

• Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2019 10:23PM

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GotTheBug said:
    It may be PMD but it takes a good and patient eye to spot irregularities in something so common as a modern Lincoln cent. For that the original poster should be commended. Now, on to the next roll, or jar, or handful of pocket change....

I gave you an agree but there is one exception for newer collectors: don't over-examine the coins. Obsessing over damage, minor errors, etc. uses up valuable searching time.

• Options
    SilverEagle420SilverEagle420 Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:

@SilverEagle420 said:
    I posted this by accident on the q and a,, sorry

That is great! As all such questions that seek an answer should be posted there.

Thanks for using the Q&A Forum FOR Questions and Answers!

https://forums.collectors.com/categories/q-a-forum

Edit to add: I see you purposely posted to both forums. You will get the same answers from both ends.

Enjoy!

Actually I tried to close the q and a one thinking I wouldn't get responses,, but it wouldn't let me close the discussion

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SilverEagle420 I am not an expert on Lincoln varieties and errors, so I hope others weigh in. But as far as I know,there is no misshapen number that is ever an error. There are varieties where the number is different than the norm, but not misshapen. And all of those will be in a cherrypickers guide, varietyvista, etc.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is PMD... excellent pictures though... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file