Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Comissioning your own line of tokens/coins/medals...

Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 22, 2019 4:47PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Have you ever wondered, as I have, how much it would cost to have your own coins made?

I was digging around the moonlight mint site and found an great cost break down on this very subject!
A full pice break down is here
http://moonlightmint.com/services.htm

Looks like the least expensive most basic low mint run would come in Around $1,000-ish

A larger more complex design low mint $3,500-$4,000ish

One day there will be and Aspie Rocco / Dan Carr coin series... one day.

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the $$ will not be the hard part. The hard part will be designing the coin. A design that one can be proud of for a long time.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Roccon Aspie :smile:
    I believe you will have your own coin someday.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are not "coins" but medals or tokens. To be a coin, you would have to have monetary authority.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat idea.... Expensive, at least to do it right.... Would be very cool to hand out a personal coin... much better than a business card...Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    Neat idea.... Expensive, at least to do it right.... Would be very cool to hand out a personal coin... much better than a business card...Cheers, RickO

Actually, wooden nickels are more cost effective...downright cheap.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@ricko said:

Patrick Mint tokens are fairly inexpensive as well. I’ve seen clubs use Moonlight Mint and individuals use Patrick Mint.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@ricko said:

Patrick Mint tokens are fairly inexpensive as well. I’ve seen clubs use Moonlight Mint and individuals use Patrick Mint.

Yes. If you use aluminum, the cost of the tokens is pretty cheap.

The big cost is die preparation. To strike coins in hard metals, these need to be hardened dies. To essentially stamp them in Aluminum in fairly low relief, the dies are laser etched and unhardened. You can usually have those dies made for a couple hundred bucks and the per coin cost of stamping in aluminum is minimal.

The wooden nickels are superfun to do and cheap. I got them for a banquet and a coin show and you can get hundreds of them for under $1 each just by submitting .jpg images of the design you want. Maybe I'll post mine later.

Maybe we should make one for ourselves: "Honored PCGS Coin Forum member//non-Troll verified"

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf ...Good idea... forum member wooden nickels...and a secret handshake... ;) On a serious note... PCGS could make a product line of tokens for forum members...number them perhaps...and leave a blank space for engraving our forum name...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Once you design what you want you can have sunshine or another create the dies then you buy the rounds and get em struck. Cost will need added to that plus ship handling and reject rate. Ask how much you willing to pay above spot for a one off modern. Non denomination coin? Especially if no reputation to market on. Just saying

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's a coin shop in the Orlando area, TNFC, they had 1oz silver rounds made up with their info on them, really cool to be honest...

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Patrick Mint used to make tokens that were roughly cent sized and made of copper. Now they are larger and made of copper coated zinc. :s

I have almost considered having something made by them but the zinc is a deal breaker. Too bad as they do good work otherwise.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    These are not "coins" but medals or tokens. To be a coin, you would have to have monetary authority.

Or a counterfeiter. Most refer to Von Nothaus's pieces as "coins."

• Options
    edited March 22, 2019 11:36AM

@cameonut2011 said:

You need to read the fine print, at least on the newer issues. A huge $1 (or whatever denomination) with a smaller "MSRP" (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price) under it. ;)

He would make the issuers of Hard Times Tokens proud: "Millions for defense but not ONE CENT for tribute", etc.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@cameonut2011 said:

You need to read the fine print, at least on the newer issues. A huge $1 (or whatever denomination) with a smaller "MSRP" (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price) under it. ;)

He would make the issuers of Hard Times Tokens proud: "Millions for defense but not ONE CENT for tribute", etc.

My comments were meant generally and not to a specific design or even specific to the coiner. I agree the examples you listed would be tokens. I took the other poster's post to be more general than perhaps he meant it.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2019 3:04PM

Anyone can have personal medals/tokens made - a lot of coin dealers used to do that. As far as "coins," you'd need to have your own sovereign nation and preferably some sort of economic activity to back the coin values for use by your citizens.

• Options

@RogerB said:
    A As far as "coins," you'd need to have your own sovereign nation and preferably some sort of economic activity to back the coin values for use by your citizens.

Or pay some banana republic to let you issue "coins" in their name,as is often done (with stamps, too). :D

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have gotten a couple from past national dealers that they must have given out at shows and for customers.

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

As RogerB mentioned, there is a difference between coins, medals and tokens. Just as there is between pennies and cents. Ignorance isn't an excuse.

Regency Mint can do them too. They're in Orem, Utah. They are the people that struck Dan Carr's stuff before he got his press.

thefinn

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file