Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Railroad Coins

OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

My dad used to tell me if you put coins on a railroad track, when a train goes by, your coins are flattened out and huge! I never did it, didn't have any tracks nearby. Has anybody here done this???? Anybody have a railroad coin?

Comments

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have a R.R. coin but we used to do that when we were kids. Flat Pennies courtesy of the Pennsylvania Railroad.

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭

I had a few - not any longer.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup, I've done it. It flattens them out pretty thin. I had a quarter that looked smeared and a lot of copper was visible.

It makes a bit of noise and I always wondered if the engineer could hear it.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

I know I have them somewhere. I just took a quick look to post pics but can't find them.

• Options
    unspendableunspendable Posts: 127 ✭✭✭

we ran over spikes, 40 lb tie plates and anything else that got in the way, would not notice a coin.

• Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭

Did this all the time growing up in Montana on the old Burlington Northern mainline (ex Northern Pacific).

Pennies and dimes worked best, the dimes would be paper thin.

Tried an Eisenhower dollar once thinking it would end up huge, but the train wheel bounced the Ike off the track before it really got rolled out.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did that as a kid. Had to put lots on the track as most would fall off before the train squashed them due to vibration. I found a flat cent metal detecting and knew it was a railroad coin.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got a bunch of 'em! Used to take the grandkids to the tracks and wait for a train. They loved picking them up after the train passed.

And yes, they make noise when flattened. Not real loud, but kinda like a "Tang Tang" when the wheels smash em.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

We did that many times.... often we could not find the coin after the train passed.... usually just used cents though... money was scarce back then...One guy used a dime... we did not find that either...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

We used to do that. The only coin lost was when my brother put a Silver Dollar on the track! :o

• Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

I live in Los Angeles. and there was a freight yard. We put various things including coins on the tracks, as the trains moved very slowly, so things just got crushed, but did not go flying. Even had a few sandwiched coins and overlapping ones.

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have an 1893 Railroad Track (not railroad rim lol) Morgan.. I'll try to dig it out today and post some pics. She really is a neat piece of, um, well, I guess, exonumia.

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

Somewhere I have a Canadian penny (the large kind) that was run over by a train carrying the Royal couple on a visit to Canada. Then it was counterstamped with those details. If I can find it I will post a pic.

• Options

@ricko said:
    We did that many times.... often we could not find the coin after the train passed.... usually just used cents though... money was scarce back then...One guy used a dime... we did not find that either...

I suppose that was a mercury dime?

@amwldcoin said:
    We used to do that. The only coin lost was when my brother put a Silver Dollar on the track! :o

I guess it would pay to walk the tracks with a metal detector! > @Leroy said:

Here's a few that I have, always found a couple when we tore out road crossings.

Wow! That's almost like a wishing well find!!!!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Onastone....It could very well have been a Mercury dime... I do not remember....However, they were extremely common when I was a kid...just general circulation at the time...Those are great finds you have there... and certainly look like track coins...Based on our experience, many were not found after the train passed. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited March 22, 2019 7:48PM

If I'm not mistaken, I think I recall reading about people putting coins on the track when the train carrying President Lincoln's body passed by.

• Options
    BJandTundraBJandTundra Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:
    If I'm not mistaken, I think I recall reading about people putting coins on the track when the train carrying President Lincoln's body passed by.

Of course they used a Lincoln Cent.

• Options
    LeroyLeroy Posts: 186 ✭✭✭
    edited March 23, 2019 7:35PM

@Onastone said:
    Wow! That's almost like a wishing well find!!!!

Just a benefit from working at CSX, it was interesting being a coin collector and working on the railroad. Once in a while on the Miami subdivision we would find a pile of assorted change laying on the cross ties between the rails. Had something to do with the passing train removing the bad spirits from what i'm told. Of course the same people actually believe that the Chupacabra really exists.

• Options

@Leroy I was going to give you a thumbs up LIKE but then saw the picture....that's just disturbing. Interesting about finding change on cross ties, not so much with the Chupacabra carcass.

• Options
    LeroyLeroy Posts: 186 ✭✭✭

@Onastone said:
    @Leroy I was going to give you a thumbs up LIKE but then saw the picture....that's just disturbing. Interesting about finding change on cross ties, not so much with the Chupacabra carcass.

You're right, I shouldn't have posted that picture, it was disturbing. I was trying to show an image of the mythical Chupacabra so people would know what I was referring too.

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2019 7:34AM

As a kid, when on vacation in Somerset, PA, we would squash pennies (cents) on the railroad track in front of grandma's and grandpa's house.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have some cents somewhere that the SP Coast Daylight 4-8-4 flattened sometime in the early 1980s.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

The SP Coast Daylight 4-8-4

@SaorAlba said:
    I have some cents somewhere that the SP Coast Daylight 4-8-4 flattened sometime in the early 1980s.

I just wanted to see what this locomotive looked like!

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

@topstuf said:

I am convinced there is a coin for everything!!! :)

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ethiopia circa 1893, IIRC.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    kbbpllkbbpll Posts: 542 ✭✭✭✭

It was "common knowledge" as a kid that the caboose guy would shoot you with salt pellets if he saw you near the tracks. We became invisible in the weeds many times, not wanting to know if it was true or not. I used to have a flattened cent from my youth but I can't find it. Most of the time we couldn't find them afterwards.

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file