Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Day 3 report posted: Fort Collins Coin Club - Colorado coin show - March 22-23-24 - Loveland, CO

claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 24, 2019 5:40PM in U.S. Coin Forum

The show is at the Larimer County Fairgrounds complex called "The Ranch" in Loveland, CO. This is my coin club's annual spring show, and we always have a nice mix of dealers.

The complex is right off the I-25 Freeway, and an easy jaunt from Denver.

Free admission and free parking. Look for the "McKee" building, and there is good signage to help you.

Nice local show with local dealers and also some of the better known names from Colorado Springs, etc.

Show opens at 3:00 PM on Friday, and at 9:00 am Saturday and Sunday.

DAY 1, Friday 3/22/19:
Dealer setup commenced at 10 am, with about 1/3 of the dealers already there when I arrived shortly thereafter. Due to long-time dealer cancellation, I got a desirable table at the front of the room. This time I went with a single 8 footer, and I got most of the stuff out except for the Morgan and Peace dollars.

I did some wholesale buying from my buy list, and also sold Jason Flowers a really nice 37-D 3 legger and a flashy proof 1873 arrows seated half. One of my Lincoln cent wholesale buyers was there, and I sold him most of the bulk stuff I brought for him.

Retail was very good. My first sale was to a YN and his Dad, for a whole $10 from the 50c to $4.00 boxes. But, it was a nice talk and a budding YN, so that was good.

I then sold several Lincolns at retail, including an 09-SVDB, a couple of 31-S's, and several semi-keys.

All in all, a very strong start!

DAY 2:
After a strong Friday afternoon start, I was enthused about Saturday, so I got there when the doors opened for dealers at 7:00 am. The dealers who did not set up on Friday soon arrived. I tidied up my table, had a nice leisurely cup of coffee and the show provided breakfast burrito, and thought that the 9 am start would be a barn burner. The initial rush was all of 4 people, but at 9:40, the floodgates opened and I was non-stop busy until 1:00, with both buying and selling. I sold everything from high grade Lincolns down to hole fillers, and all of my 90% silver was sold out by 2:30 in the afternoon. I am not a bullion dealer, but I did get a few hundred face in from a prior deal and another trade-in deal at the show.

By 4:00 it slowed down, so I had a chance to box up the proof and mint set deal I bought in the morning to haul it out on Saturday instead of with all the rest of the stuff on the Sunday teardown.

I would rate Saturday is a good solid B, with a B+ for buying and a B- for selling.

So far, a very good show from my own coin club.

DAY 3:
Definitely a sleepy Sunday, but it was a pleasure to have Rocky Mountain Prospector come by and sell me a small deal. I also bought some "junque" from coin club members and other dealers as they were packing up.

A highlight was my wife bringing my small dog mutt Coco to the show - but sorry, no pics of her with cute paws on the showcase ready to do business.

I packed up around 2 pm and got some prep work done for my next show In Albuquerque in 2 weeks. Hope to see some forumites there!

Overall show grades:
Selling, B+
Buying B-
Overall B

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye

Comments

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Report please.

• Options
    RockyMtnProspectorRockyMtnProspector Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭

@claychaser said:
    The show is at the Larimer County Fairgrounds complex called "The Ranch" in Loveland, CO. This is my coin club's annual spring show, and we always have a nice mix of dealers.

The complex is right off the I-25 Freeway, and an easy jaunt from Denver.

Free admission and free parking. Look for the "McKee" building, and there is good signage to help you.

Nice local show with local dealers and also some of the better known names from Colorado Springs, etc.

Show opens at 3:00 PM on Friday, and at 9:00 am Saturday and Sunday.

It was great to meet you at the last show! I'll try to bring some stuff Saturday morning. See you then!

GSAs, OBW rolls, Seated, Walkers. Anything old and Colorado-focused, CO nationals.

Gonna get me a $50 Octagonal someday. Some. Day.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

This sounds like a good local show... Please give us a show report. Also, note if bullion sales are busy please. Cheers, RickO

• Options

This show has a fairly decent following and the weather should be ok. I'll try to snap some pics and check on bullion as well.

GSAs, OBW rolls, Seated, Walkers. Anything old and Colorado-focused, CO nationals.

• Options

Day 1 report in 1st post.

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@clayirving Thanks for posting your show report. Always like reading/hearing about YN/families involved in the hobby.

• Options
    rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report

• Options

TTT - Day 2 posted

• Options

Thanks for the Day 2 report @claychaser.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a good show, and glad see that my friend Jason is still active and buying the good stuff.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

Had to punt on Saturday but will be there today! Thanks for the reports.

• Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭

Good report. Thank you for posting it.

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't been able to get to a show for a while and I appreciate you making the effort and posting your report. Thank you.

• Options

TTT - day 3 posted

• Options

Thank you again for the Day 3 report @claychaser.

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report. Sometimes the small shows are
    the best.

• Options

Thanks @claychaser good to see you today.

• Options

There was little 90% to be had on Sunday (there was some but it was really expensive). Show was slow after about noon, and dealers were already contemplating closing for the day, though the show was scheduled to close at 4pm.

I found little for me but it's always fun to look at all kinds of coins, raw and slabbed. There was a shortage of "premium" coins in high end slabs and a dearth of CAC stickers. There also seemed to be little in the way of quality toning, which is unusual for local shows out here. There's usually always something that sticks out in a case.

Perhaps coming on the heels of the previous show just two weeks ago, there was little room to breathe or for the most part, dealers' ability to pick up new stuff. That of course isn't a criticism of the show or the dealers, as most of them are friends or at least friendly acquaintances. Material comes and goes, that's the nature of the beast, and quality stuff may have been snatched up yesterday when I was unable to attend.

As I always say, there's not much better than a few hours at the coin show, especially in pleasant spring weather.

• Options
    kbbpllkbbpll Posts: 542 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry I missed it. I'm usually alerted to the dates of this show through another TPG's email blurb. (Am I allowed to say ANACS on here?)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file