Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The illusive full step 1954-S Jefferson nickel, will we ever see one graded in our lifetime?

leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 21, 2019 2:13PM in U.S. Coin Forum

A fully detailed full step example is what I'm talking about. Is it out there in someone's collection or has it yet to be discovered? Bern Nagangast, the auther of The Jefferson Nickel Analyst had a nice example pictured in his book, where is that coin? And I'm aware of 2-3 collectors who are very private with their collections. But here is what I have managed to find in 29 years with this series. The first 3 pics are of the same coin. Call them a graduation of my improvement in coin photography over the years. And however one may think it is fully struck, it is not. the very top of Jefferson's head/hair and the side/end steps are not struck up in their fullest detail. I still haven't captured the luster and toning of this coin. The only bothersome mark is on one of the pillars.

This next PCGS MS66 example is not fully struck for the same above reasons but it's remarkably free of any marks. Some folks would grade this much higher but IMO, the strike holds it back....does that make any sense? And one of these days I'll improve its picture.

And the best struck 1954-S I have found is this example. It has a few marks but one can see more details at the top of Jefferson's head and the end steps are there. I also have a raw MS65 lustrous toned example (honorable mention, I guess) not as well struck, fermenting in a coin album. lol

Over the years I have owned 3 other 1954-s coins in Anacs holders, two sold but here's my last one that shows most of the steps but as for the rest of the coin.....yuk! The lack of details in one die pushed/forced the metal into the steps of the other die. This example is not a collector's coin having an incomplete strike, far from it. Oops, I forgot the photo.

One drawback to seeing the greatest 1954-S out there, one must have great photography skills as well to show off that coin or have someone else take that picture. But I think we're in for a long haul/wait before that illusive fully struck example with full steps comes to light/surfaces.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

Comments

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

They already have some .. if you send your best in enough times, you will have one as well.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did not realize that a fully struck '54S Jefferson was such an issue... Admittedly, I do not collect the series, though I like the Jefferson nickels..... I know I have a large group of Jeff's somewhere... I shall have to look at them. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Leo, good to see some of your coins, especially your 1954-S's. Somewhere, someday a roll or two will pop up with that BigDowgie in it! Keep hunting.

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I did not realize that a fully struck '54S Jefferson was such an issue... Admittedly, I do not collect the series, though I like the Jefferson nickels..... I know I have a large group of Jeff's somewhere... I shall have to look at them. Cheers, RickO

For many dates up to 1970, finding fully struck examples is a problem. But the old FSNC, that's how they collected their coins. They had a grading system and methods for everything on the Jefferson nickel including the strike and the number of quarter steps were counted. If a guy had a 54s graded MS64 f/m/str 4.50 4cs steps and another was graded MS 63/64 f/str 4.75 4 cs steps toned, who was considered to have or which of the two coins were the better coin? Of course, those days are gone. There's little guidance or leadership in what constitutes a high quality coin in Jefferson nickels. Seems like a waste of my time here.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file