Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Were we different back then?

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I read about all the debasements and weight reductions in our classic coinage and can't help but wonder if at the time people were pissed at the government for cheating them?

Ever wonder about that?
:/

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

You mean under Nero?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    You mean under Nero?

Major reason why the Roman Empire fizzled away.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:
    I read about all the debasements and weight reductions in our classic coinage and can't help but wonder if at the time people were pissed at the government for cheating them?

Ever wonder about that?
    :/

Yes, people always complained at debasement of currency.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The people do not like it, rail against it, but are powerless to change/effect the issue. I say powerless, not quite true... there is the ballot box, a recourse which is rarely used... too much politics and an electorate without the knowledge to effectively address the issues. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did not notice anything earth shattering. A 1964 quarter and a 1965 quarter would both buy the same amount of stuff. A 1971 half dollar and a 1936 half dollar would buy the same things.

After all, it was just 3 coins that changed material, and it did not affect the vast majority of "money" or monetary transactions.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file