Home U.S. Coin Forum

"Unsearched rolls" in auctions...LOL

I get a kick out of auctions listing UNSEARCHED ROLLs. This is goody... The auction house has several unsearched penny rolls with a quarter eagle at the end. Gee... I wonder if the whole roll is full of gold?

Comments

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2019 7:43AM

imaginative marketing gimmicks like this work to optimize profits.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• zski123zski123 Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

I also get a kick out of the unsearched roll of Morgans with a Carson City at the end. It's amazing they all have a Carson City at the end of the roll. What are the odds? Unsearched means not searched since the culls were placed into the roll.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sandpapered rolls like this are pretty obvious. People don't store rolls of coins in any way that this could happen to the paper on that roll. Such a con.

bob :(

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

I can't find it anymore, but a number of years ago someone posted a spoof image with a big diamond ring crudely edited to be sticking out the end of a bank roll. I got a kick out of that.

• matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sure there are a few 1909 S VDB's in there!

• planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭

What’s the significance of the sandpapering? I see the texture, but I don’t understand why it was done.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Makes the roll appear older than it is.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh my !!!

Timbuk3
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The web is full of these scams.... Perhaps someone's grandfather may truly have an unsearched roll of something.... The odds support that... but not more than one grandpa and one roll.... :D Cheers, RickO

• neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess they technically haven't been searched since the seller put them together...

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

Years ago a woman came to the store of a friend. The woman had 3 $2.5 gold and she asked what they were worth. When told $500, she laughed and told my friend she had just gotten then at the local grocery store as cents in change.

We never did find out whether a few 2 and a half a had gotten into a roll of cents or a roll of two and a half had gotten into a box of cents

• TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mr1874 said:
    unethical scams like this work to optimize profits.

Ftfy

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file