Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Curved Coins and the Opening Day of Baseball + Breaking News: Ichiro to Retire after today's game

northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 21, 2019 5:12AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Today heralds the opening day of Major League Baseball for the 2019 Season as The Seattle Mariners defeated the Oakland Athletics in the opening game of the season. The day was also special for the Mariners in that Ichiro returned to the starting line up for the game being played in Japan's Tokyo Dome. Needless to say there was a huge ovation for Ichiro there in the Tokyo Dome where he played as a player in games there before coming to the United States.

Here is my pair of the two one dollar curved coins from the U.S. Mint which make a matched pair. The one representing baseball and the other Space Exploration. First the baseball curved coin:

And here are the two side-by-side:

And some screen shots of Ichiro at today's game:

Comments

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good game.

Kinda weird watching baseball at 2:30 A.M.

Go Ms

• Options
    edited March 21, 2019 3:17AM

On a personal note it was fun to see Ichiro playing in the same Tokyo Dome today (albeit on TV) that I had taken my son to see baseball played there when visiting Japan years ago. Some say that he (pictured below with his own progeny) actually bears a resemblance to Ichiro.

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wish they would have made some flat ones too. :#

• Options
    edited March 21, 2019 3:59AM

@pocketpiececommems said:
    Wish they would have made some flat ones too. :#

For the Flat Earthers? :)

For anyone up at this early morning hour the second game being played in Tokyo is currently in the top of the 5th inning with Seattle leading 3 - 0 over the A's.

• Options

Breaking Baseball News!

Ichiro to retire after this second game being played in Tokyo. Mariners hold onto a 2 run lead in bottom of the 7th and Ichiro may yet have one more at bat to end his career this morning.

• Options
    edited March 21, 2019 1:16PM

Ended up having one more at bat in the 8th inning - Ichiro's career final. Mariners went on to get the sweep by winning in the 12th inning of today's historic game.

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Special player with a nice way to go out. I got up in the middle of the night for the Dodgers-Dback series in Sydney in 2014.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not follow any ball sports. However, when I lived/worked in Seattle (20 years), I can recall how well liked Ichiro was... He had a huge fan following there....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great player !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2019 2:42PM

The rest of MLB baseball opens regular season play next week. I had no idea this was even happenening

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭✭✭

A true generational talent; hit, run, throw, great public image. I recall his 2004 season where he collected the most hits (262) in a season passing George Sisler's previous record of 257 established in 1920. 5 years and he's a first ballot HOF member.

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go A’s! ;)

• Options
    Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

otsukaresama!

• Options

@LJenkins11 said:
    A true generational talent; hit, run, throw, great public image. I recall his 2004 season where he collected the most hits (262) in a season passing George Sisler's previous record of 257 established in 1920. 5 years and he's a first ballot HOF member.

Agreed on the likelihood of a first ballot HOF entry. Wouldn't be surprised if it is unanimous as well. One of the ESPN commentators added, once he is in the HOF one can expect lots of Japanese to schedule visits to Cooperstown.

Here are some more of the career accomplishments of which we were reminded in the broadcast of Ichiro's final game:

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

My only MLB game I watched in Seattle. It was a real pitchers duel with the Yanks, ie not real exciting. I ended up sitting 1 row back from some friends of mine I didn't know were even attending. (random event as it is a 4+ hour drive for us) Ichiro was on the roster back then.

Cool way to hang up the cleats.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought some also. I only have this one as I gave mine to my grandson.
    I was luck to see Steve Carlton pitch many games as a Phillie

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file