Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dollar Bank in Downtown Pittsburgh

Love the old, original Dollar Bank Building in downtown Pittsburgh. Gold Dollar in the facade is awesome.

Successful B/S/T transactions: As Seller: PascoWA (June 2008); MsMorrisine (April 2009); ECHOES (July 2009) As Buyer: bfjohnson (July 2008); robkool (Dec 2010); itsnotjustme (Dec 2010) TwoSides2aCoin (Dec 2018) PrivateCoin Jan 2019

Comments

• Options
    RockyMtnProspectorRockyMtnProspector Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's awesome!

GSAs, OBW rolls, Seated, Walkers. Anything old and Colorado-focused, CO nationals.

Gonna get me a $50 Octagonal someday. Some. Day.
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

A very sturdy enduring looking building. Interesting history. More photos.
    Dollar Bank is the largest independent mutual bank in the nation as of March 2016.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollar_Bank

• Options
    CCDollarCCDollar Posts: 717 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way too cool...thanks for sharing...a nice piece of Americana.

CC

Nickel Triumph...My Led Zepps
  • Options
    LuxorLuxor Posts: 410 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful building! They don't build 'em like that anymore.

Your hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need it.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2019 6:37PM

My town has 2 beautiful old banks like that (not quite as tall), one on each end of the same block. They've been vacant for decades until recently one was converted into a mini-mall of sorts. They kept it mostly original and under the thick old paint on the window frames they discovered the frames were actually copper! They cleaned them up nicely.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Raybob15239

Don't you have pictures of another bank with Morgan dollars above the doors?

• Options
    Raybob15239Raybob15239 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    @Raybob15239

Don't you have pictures of another bank with Morgan dollars above the doors?

Yes, in West Newton, PA. Has a 1902 Morgan Obverse and Reverse. The bank was built in 1902. I think that I posted it here as well.

Successful B/S/T transactions: As Seller: PascoWA (June 2008); MsMorrisine (April 2009); ECHOES (July 2009) As Buyer: bfjohnson (July 2008); robkool (Dec 2010); itsnotjustme (Dec 2010) TwoSides2aCoin (Dec 2018) PrivateCoin Jan 2019
  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very neat old building. Thanks for sharing. They do not building things this neat anymore.

I thought the "gold dollar" had a die crack at first, then noticed it was just a power line.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2019 5:20PM

Coin emblems were popular in the later 19th century. They were symbols of stability and financial trust accompanying a bank's Corinthian columns, bronze doors and other "solid" trim. Molds were available from concrete casting firms and usually ordered by architects along with other ornamental details. Companies offered concrete with granite or marble coatings, painted details and other options.

Someplace I saw a book on the subject of these ornaments including eagles, etc. --- maybe at the American Institute of Architects in Washington, DC.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CCDollar said:
    Way too cool...thanks for sharing...a nice piece of Americana.

CC

some thing that I notice is fading fast in this country :(

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love those old historical buildings, they have a lot of character !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very impressive architecture.. and a grand old building indeed. Of course, it was all intended to portray financial stability and security.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is one cool old building!

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    Coin emblems were popular in the later 19th century. They were symbols of stability and financial trust accompanying a bank's Corinthian columns, bronze doors and other "solid" trim. Molds were available from concrete casting firms and usually ordered by architects along with other ornamental details. Companies offered concrete with granite or marble coatings, painted details and other options.

So if coins were symbol of stability and trust in the 19th century, what would (or should) the symbols be today?

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I spent many days down town. Used to go through market square and remember one time have a bird poop all over my leather coat. Might of been last time I cut though that way.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Exbrit -- Today, I think they are represented by credit cards....What do you think?

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭

That's exactly what I was thinking - a big Visa card on the front of the bank just doesn't do it for me. Then there are the banks that are trending to the younger crowd with a cafeteria in it, open kiosks and a bunch of annoying floor people. I went into one and asked about their safe deposit boxes and they said - sorry we don't have those anymore.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file