Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Received a nice 1882 CC, GSA today

AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

But, I was perplexed as to why it was not in an Uncirculated holder. Bright white both sides I thought.
Then while taking pics it pops up......................a 137 year old fingerprint......light, very light but it's there! And very, very light textile toning dots......
See for yourself:

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG Now that looks like a big old thumb print, too.

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cant get past the finger print. Sorry. I think you might see it in your sleep.

• Options
    SliderGuySliderGuy Posts: 27 ✭✭

Nice coin.. Any CC is a keeper.😊

AU55/MS62 My favorites.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice CC Morgan... unfortunately, if it is really a 137 year fingerprint, it will not come off... etched into the surface by now...Cheers, RickO

• Options

I actually do not mind old fingerprints from this mint. I had one (wish I kept) some time ago that the print was black and consensus was it was a palm print and covered the whole obverse. We do know it is a mint employee as the GSA dollars were handled with gloved hands.

bob :)

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

More likely the print was left my a GSA worker back when they packaged these coins. I think it was the 1970's. Im not sure.

• Options

@CommemKing said:
    More likely the print was left my a GSA worker back when they packaged these coins. I think it was the 1970's. Im not sure.

I've seen videos of the process and several have been on these boards to discuss same. I understand that all wore cotton gloves when they handled the coins....so as not to impart their own print and damage the coins (further). Since they were put in bags at the CC mint, and then transported to the east only to be unbagged and encapsulated in the GSA sales, it's unlikely that anyone would have touched them in between.

bob :)

• Options
    RarityRarity Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭✭

I will cherish the coin today, tomorrow, and forever and ever if the finger print belongs to my first love 😀

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file