Home U.S. Coin Forum

Are you as interested in this forum as you were in the past?

291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

If not, why not?

My thoughts:

1. The continuing problems with the software. I keep getting a message about enabling javascript, whatever that is.
  2. The flood of posts about micro-errors or micro-varieties are really cluttering up the forum. Now we are also starting to see a flood of "grade my or what is my foreign coin" posts.
All glory is fleeting.

Comments

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sports forum is now where it is at!

• matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes

• stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

it sounds like you need to upgrade. i don't get any errors. i am on an older computer (2015...yes, that is an old computer) and it works fine.

the forum is much better than it was before they changed it. the only threads i am tired of are the ones were we are talking about cac. lame.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love it as much as ever!

• SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, it's still good . Tough dealing with some posts , but overall a nice bunch of people.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

no.

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes of course as this is the best coin forum on earth.

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm up and down on it but that's because of my interest cycling and nothing to do with the forum. Sometimes we need a break from everything, even the things we like.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep.

• CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still like the forum, but it seems to have been left open for just about anyone with a coin question. Not as much solid coin related threads as there used to be. Too many newbies asking about DD Lincolns and the like. I think the board higher ups should do a bit of a vetting process before letting anyone in as a member of the forum.

• TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭

Time and general ebbs and flows with coins causes me to be on here less then at other times.

Natural I would say.

Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19, 2019 9:47AM

Some days it's active and interesting and some days (like yesterday) it is dull. I even tried to stir up some controversy and discussion with little success. It all depends on one's interests.

• cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Overall, I love it here.

I haven't had any software problems, but I will say the constant 'is this damaged coin an error' or 'is this a doubled die' questions are getting annoying. I'm not trying to be a jerk- everyone's new sometime and this forum is a great place to get help. I'm just wondering if a newbie board could be setup so those questions can be asked- there are plenty of people here, myself included, who would be happy to pop over there and help out.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    no.

Al,

Could you please try to be brief. :D

• smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

Yes. This is where the pros are and I'm still learning from all of you. :)

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,553 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. The more I learn about the coin (business) the less I want to know about coins.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if Topstuf knows that a curmudgeon is just an old malcontent?? I think he does and that was a clever post!! B)

• NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. This is the best coin forum, a great mix of the best collectors, researchers, series experts, dealers, authors, newbies, and comedians.

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Sports forum is now where it is at!

I hit agree, though I assume the OP considers the sports forum part of this forum in its entirety.

• TunisTunis Posts: 429 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, I visit at least 5 to 10 times a day to absorb all I can

Successful buys on BST board from NotSure, Nankraut, Yorkshireman, Astrorat, Ikeigwin(2x), Bob13, Outhaul, coinbuf, dpvilla, jayPem, Sean1990, TwoKopeiki, bidask, Downtown1974, drddm, nederveit2

@Insider2 said:
    Some days it's active and interesting and some days (like yesterday) it is dull. I even tried to stir up some controversy and discussion with little success. It all depends on one's interests.

in all seriousness, you do a great job of stirring up conversation. Thank you

@cmerlo1 said:
    Overall, I love it here.

I haven't had any software problems, but I will say the constant 'is this damaged coin an error' or 'is this a doubled die' questions are getting annoying. I'm not trying to be a jerk- everyone's new sometime and this forum is a great place to get help. I'm just wondering if a newbie board could be setup so those questions can be asked- there are plenty of people here, myself included, who would be happy to pop over there and help out.

I remember when I was first getting into collecting maybe four years ago, I naturally had questions and would "google" them. Many times the answers came from a thread in one of the coin forums. That was how I first found out about this forum and a few others. As I started to peruse those forums more, even before joining, it became obvious that this forum was not a place inundated with that sort of question, instead having a different type of discussion prevalent. So anyone wanting to ask that type of question would go elsewhere as their initial searches would point them to other forums. But as more of those types of questions appear here, more will follow.

I hope that makes some sense.

• DiggerJimDiggerJim Posts: 406 ✭✭✭✭

I have no error problems at all (pc or phone). I’m constantly reading something on here it’s great information. I wake up in the middle of the night and check the forum. Right now I’m at work on the crapper typing this comment.

Sorry that was a little too much information.

DiggerJim

BST transactions - mach1ne - Ronyahski - pitboss (x2) - Bigbuck1975 (x2) - jimineez1 - nk1nk - bidask - WaterSport - logger7 - SurfinxHI (x2) - Smittys - Bennybravo - Proofcollector

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

At this time no.

There is an ebb and flow to what I devote my time to. Non coin stuff takes away from hobby time and thus forum time.

However, even when I have time to devote to the hobby I find that I spend less time posting to the forum. When I post threads about coins in my niche area of collecting the responses to same are less now than years gone by. Many fans of this niche area have passed away or moved on. I also learned a great deal in my early years here. So when I look at new threads covering things I already know I am less likely to post.

I still check in daily however.

• dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

Imagine visiting this forum and seeing the majority of the first page having posts with the most recent reply in December.
    Crickets and skeletons.

Now snap out of it!
    This place has lots of action.

We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I enjoy this place. :smile:
    I enjoy that everyone is different in their own way, I accept that.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just now am able to log in from my desktop. I have had issues over past few months and had no time to try to figure out the issue. I will not leave the forum for a bump in a road when the best of the best are here for my reading pleasure.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭

Much better than it was.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. Good place to learn and a very generous group here.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:
    Yes. Good place to learn and a very generous group here.

+1

• AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

No matter what time I arrive I always find something interesting. Thanks to all who comment here. :)

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

its still pretty good around here yes

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

My interest in the forum doesn't really wax or wane. My interest in coins does. This is perhaps the best outlet for all things coin related. I'm here to share, but above all, to learn from the forum members with vast experience. I went ATS for a little while, but the frequency of posters and overall non-use sent me back here.

Sure, there have been newbie questions, but that's on any forum. Some are genuine and really want to learn, whereas others are either not as invested, or just ouright trolls. Every forum I've ever posted to has similar problems.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

For the most part yes, it has been somewhat weird recently what with all the parking lot change questions; however I attribute most of this to the recent social media campaign run by the hosts. I think that the campaign reached a large audience but perhaps more of the get rich quick on pocket change audience than coin collectors, hopefully some will stick around and become collectors.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought I replied earlier, but do not see it.

I am more interested in the forums now than ever, also more active and visiting more frequently too.
    My interests cycle randomly throughout each year, some fade away and some always stay.

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, the new software was barely navigable by my old fossilized computer, but I've bought a new one finally!!!

I'm still concerned by the mess of a search engine (what was wrong with the old one?) and the hard to find PM's but I'll be around a little more now.

Tempus fugit.
  • FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not as active as in the past but I still find it enjoyable.

• FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am really getting into the old curmudgeons polls though.
    That may lure me back!

• bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

I enjoy the forums just as much as I did when I joined. I usually have to weed out threads a little more but other than that, all good. I don't participate as much as I have in the past as my collecting has slowed down a lot. Plus too many irons in the fire of life. Lol

• CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the forums! I usually visit at least several times a day.

My Activity shows 2,755 visits.

• BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. It's obvious.

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

This forum has become a daily part of my life.

Love it!

The software glitches will be fixed soon (I hope).

You're always going to have BS posts, here and there, so I just ignore them.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes! :#

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, even more so. I usually check in every day and learn something new when I do.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file