Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Irish Gun Money

What do you think about gun money and its collectibility? It does have a cool story behind it.
If you have a piece, please post a photo.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.

Comments

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like them. Would like to get a nice Crown without a visible undertype some day.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pieces without corrosion or with original mint bloom are so rare. There are some amazing collections in England and I have bought several high end pieces from my time in Ireland. There is a new book out cataloging the series which adds lots of new info to the series.

• Options
    ClioClio Posts: 488 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2019 9:34AM

My example :)

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    Nice pieces without corrosion or with original mint bloom are so rare. There are some amazing collections in England and I have bought several high end pieces from my time in Ireland. There is a new book out cataloging the series which adds lots of new info to the series.

Are you referring to the Phillip Timmons book?

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yorkshireman said:

@Boosibri said:

Are you referring to the Phillip Timmons book?

Yep. I met with Timmons in England and he described the new research in the book enabling a more accurate identification of the Dublin vs. Limmerick mints based on identifying the characteristics of the presses which were in service at the mints. In the book it outlines this detail along with all of the varieties in the series.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

With the defeat at the Battle of the Boyne and the Seige of Limerick the previously issued gunmoney lost all value. The beseiged forces in Limerick held out for over a year. Beginning in the summer of 1691 this halfpenny coin was struck, using the small sized gunmoney shillings that no longer had value. Traces of the design of the host coin can be seen. One of the curious aspects of the Limerick besieged issue halfpennies is the reversed "N" in HIBERNIA on the reverse. After holding out for over a year, starvation took it's toll and a negotiated surrender took place in October 1691. The gunmoney coins continued to circulate again, but were reduced to their equivalent in farthing, halfpenny for the sixpences and shillings. They were demonetised by the Crown in the early 1690's and lost all value except for that of their metal content. The 1691 Limerick halfpennies continued to circulate but are scarce today.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21