Home U.S. Coin Forum

Saw this Norse at a coin show today.

ajaanajaan Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

Must have been a pocket piece. I had the chance to buy it but passed.

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not seen one this worn.

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

I agree.
    Cool.....how much was it?

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mannie gray said:

@Insider2 said:

I agree.

$80 I didn't know if that was a good price or not.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18, 2019 4:24AM

I would have paid $80 for it. Any contact info? Dealer?

Cheers

Bob> @ajaan said:

@mannie gray said:

@Insider2 said:

I agree.

@Outhaul said:
    I would have paid $80 for it. Any contact info? Dealer?

Cheers

Bob> @ajaan said:

@mannie gray said:

@Insider2 said:

I agree.

PM sent.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are nice medals. Very unpopular, but nice. I’d like to have one if each.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

The "low ball" hype on this forum has clearly caused some collectors to consider making bad purchase decisions. $80 for that? To me it is strictly a melt bucket item in that state of wear. How many medal collectors want items with that much wear? How much traction does the "low ball" hype really have? How long will the fad last?

All glory is fleeting.
  • StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too funny Don - that was at the currency guy's table 2 down from me. He usually doesn't have many coins besides some modern mint items, so I don't typically stop there when I get a chance to leave my table. I did see that medal in the middle of his case walking by though and told myself to go look at it next time, but never made it. I found where he won it on eBay a week before for $51.09 though.

------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

@StrikeOutXXX said:
    Too funny Don - that was at the currency guy's table 2 down from me. He usually doesn't have many coins besides some modern mint items, so I don't typically stop there when I get a chance to leave my table. I did see that medal in the middle of his case walking by though and told myself to go look at it next time, but never made it. I found where he won it on eBay a week before for $51.09 though.

Does that fact that he is looking to make an incredible 30% profit bother you?

may the fonz be with you...always...
  • StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18, 2019 6:01AM

@joebb21 said:

@StrikeOutXXX said:

Not in the least. I have plenty of items I paid 50 and have priced at 80 in my own case, wasn't the point. He's a nice guy, known him for years, plus we have that lovely 8.75% sales tax on stuff we sell in my area, so he wouldn't be netting 30% anyhow.

My point was when I was back at my table, I checked ebay for worn examples to see roughly what they went for so if I did go back and look at it I had a general idea what they go for, and it was only a week old, so was near the top of the sold listings.

Plus there is a general theme of value of this lower end item, and was just pointing out what it went for on eBay.

------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have always liked that medal.. though I do not have one. Might have considered that one. I am not usually a lowball collector, but sometimes a piece like that has a certain attraction. Cheers, RickO

• coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

I owned a lower grade Norse thin planchet that was sold to a premier early Commemorative collector at a time when these were considered to be rare in such condition.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice, I like. if you get a chance to grab do it. jmo

• sjcoinssjcoins Posts: 69 ✭✭✭

How about this DDO

@291fifth said:
    The "low ball" hype on this forum has clearly caused some collectors to consider making bad purchase decisions. $80 for that? To me it is strictly a melt bucket item in that state of wear. How many medal collectors want items with that much wear? How much traction does the "low ball" hype really have? How long will the fad last?

To each his own....I like unusual and well worn stuff...and I have had this affliction well before the lowball craze.
    Call me a trailblazer! :)

edited March 19, 2019 5:05AM

And now it's...........MINE!!!

Thanks @ajaan

• sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Outhaul said:
    And now it's...........MINE!!!

Thanks @ajaan

:o
    Nice work!

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joebb21 said:

@StrikeOutXXX said:

60% and it does not bother me

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you ask dealers about Lowball items and they tell you that's a melt bucket item where have they been. They want to sell you everything new that comes from the mint. If they "actually" have a melt bucket item put it out an see if it sells. The lowball Norse that the OP posted has class B)

The Norse I posted is nicer in person. I was quickly taking a photo with my phone and it didn't turn out so well.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

First things first: This is going straight in my pocket. I love a piece that I can pass around without fear of people handling it

Good heavens, someone made a profit on me. Whatever am I to do? Never buy another truck? Never go grocery shopping? Never buy gas, perhaps? make no more coin purchases? Oh no!

Cheers

Bob

• ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

Id pay $80 for it. Can you please PM me the dealer’s contact info?

edited March 19, 2019 8:21AM

@ilikemonsters said:
    Id pay $80 for it. Can you please PM me the dealer’s contact info?

See my previous posts.

Oh, and ...Neener-neener.

Cheers

Bob

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joebb21 said:

@StrikeOutXXX said:

I suppose if you managed to win a St. Gauden's for $800 at an estate auction that you wouldn't think of taking more than $900 for it when you sold it.

And I suppose if you bought a PCGS 67 slab for $500 and resubmitted it and it got a 68 and was now worth $10k that you would sell it for $600.

Cool!

@jmlanzaf said:

@joebb21 said:

@StrikeOutXXX said:

I suppose if you managed to win a St. Gauden's for $800 at an estate auction that you wouldn't think of taking more than $900 for it when you sold it.

And I suppose if you bought a PCGS 67 slab for $500 and resubmitted it and it got a 68 and was now worth $10k that you would sell it for $600.

My point was that it really is irrelevant what the owner paid.

@joebb21 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@joebb21 said:

@StrikeOutXXX said:

Fair enough, but that's not the way it reads. You seemed bothered by the 30% profit margin.

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like that piece needs to be put back in someone's pocket for a bit. It's not done.

thefinn

@jmlanzaf said:

@joebb21 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@joebb21 said:

@StrikeOutXXX said:

Fair enough, but that's not the way it reads. You seemed bothered by the 30% profit margin.

I was not.

• HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't understand where 30% comes from. Bad math.

@HoledandCreative said:
    I don't understand where 30% comes from. Bad math.

Yes, but read the whole thread

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file