Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Brief Baystate Coin Show report.

1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Left work for a few minutes [the show is about 5 minutes from work] to checkout the show.
As an aside, the only coin shows that I have been to in my entire life are the Baystate shows, the first one was when my mother took me to the show at the Statler Hotel in Boston about 50 years ago.

Anyway, I found the show a little boring although there were plenty of customers roaming around.
Didn't see any Massachusetts Colonials.

Jon @ScarsdaleCoin had many people at his tables, I didn't get to say hello so Hello Jon.

I would guess the coins were about 50% PCGS, 25% NGC and 25% raw.

The highlight of my brief 30 minute visit was chatting with Brian and Tom from my all time favorite Northeast Numismatics @nencoin .

Here is Brian showing me a 1796 half and 1796 quarter.

Northeast also had the 1943 Bronze Cent Discovery Piece on display - AU 53 BN.
This legendary coin, The Lutes specimen, was the first discovery of a 1943 bronze cent, which is considered by many to be the King of Mint Errors.

I know my pics are lousy.
All in all it was a good 30 minutes of my day.

Boston

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Comments

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report!

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice report, thank you for sharing. It must be great to take a lunch and visit a show like that. Some awesome coins you got to view. :)

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report. If you're around at the end of the month @1630Boston you should try to come to CT. Our annual Mansfield CT show (NE part of CT) is on 3/31 starting at 9:00am. A bunch of the members here usually bump into eachother and say hi!

https://www.mansfieldnumismaticsociety.org/coinshow.htm

• Options

Thanks @ShadyDave

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston Thanks for the report and good to out for a bit.

• Options

@Hemispherical said:
    @1630Boston Thanks for the report and good to out for a bit.

Yah...........I do not get out much except for work :smile:

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for your report.

• Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston I wish I knew about this show; I live near Boston. I wish there were more coin shows in and around Boston.

• Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

I miss this show. Used to go when it was downtown and all chopped up in different rooms. I'm sure it's nicer now in this location.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

1/2 an hour at a bad coin show is better than a good full day at work. B)

• Options
    hyf88hyf88 Posts: 294 ✭✭✭

Took my 11-year-old to the show today and we had a great time! Saw some truly stunning coins including the 1943 bronze cent. We saw quite a bit of currency, too which was really neat to see, especially some of the rarer notes. Also got to talk with several very nice dealers who were happy to share their knowledge with a young collector which made him (and me) very good. My son was really into searching through several dealer junk/world boxes and found this coin which he bought for fifty cents. Can't tell if it's a colonial or British and its spent time in the ground but cool nonetheless. Any ideas on what it could be?

• Bill

• Options

@hyf88 Good to hear of the positive experience you and your son had. Thanks for posting.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks.

• Options

@keets said:
    1/2 an hour at a bad coin show is better than a good full day at work. B)

You are absolutely correct :smile:

• Options
    matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 16, 2019 1:24PM

I ended up going as well. Some nice examples for sale and I picked up a nice type Franklin (I also posted this pic in another thread). It looks nicer in hand.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice report for a brief visit......and you saw some great coins... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    KSorboKSorbo Posts: 103 ✭✭✭

I spent a great afternoon there today. I sold off a few of my less favorite coins and put the proceeds toward an AU Arrows and Rays Seated Half for my type set. Not only was I happy with the deals I got, but it was good experience buying and selling in a live environment. Most of my activities are on line so it was much more interesting looking at actual inventory even if I couldn’t afford most of it. Indeetlib’s table was a definite highlight for me as I love early copper, and it was fun to see the 43 copper cent and some other 5 and 6 figure coins Northeast Numismatics had on display.

• Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 17, 2019 5:20AM

@hyf88 said:
    Took my 11-year-old to the show today and we had a great time! Saw some truly stunning coins including the 1943 bronze cent. We saw quite a bit of currency, too which was really neat to see, especially some of the rarer notes. Also got to talk with several very nice dealers who were happy to share their knowledge with a young collector which made him (and me) very good. My son was really into searching through several dealer junk/world boxes and found this coin which he bought for fifty cents. Can't tell if it's a colonial or British and its spent time in the ground but cool nonetheless. Any ideas on what it could be?

• Bill

Similar to a
    UK large cent

Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hyf88 Looks to me like a Connecticut copper. @1630Boston thanks for the report. You really should go to a larger/different show! I've never heard of anyone on their deathbed who said "I wish I had worked more!"

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't make it to the Bay State show until 12pm on Saturday. I was afraid most of the dealers would already be packing up. That wasn't the case, only one or two were packing or gone. The Northeast Numismatics museum was definitely a highlight to see. It appeared they had their own security guard.

I didn't see a lot of money changing hands but it can be hard to tell sometimes. I imagine most of the dealer to dealer business was completed the day before. When asked how the show was going, most said "slow." One said it is going to be his last show. Nothing against the Bay State Show at all here, this is is just the same tired old headwinds story.

As has become the norm for me recently, at this show I sold more than I bought. In fact, I bought nothing but I sold a fair bit of modern stuff (basically bullion) to Steve's Collectibles. He offered a fair price with no hassle that was equal to or slightly better than I could have expected to get on eBay after fees. He was the only bullion guy I noticed, and he seemed busy with buying. I didn't see him selling much.

I am in the market for some 18th c. coppers for my Dansco set. I saw some nice ones at Inde et Lib coins which is a company I was not familiar with before. I need to do a little homework in this area as early coppers seem to have a lot going on with them (most appear to be some form of Details) but I'm glad I came across this firm.

Not unexpectedly the show was completely devoid of nice, better date seated dimes. I've come to grips with that reality. What did surprise me was that I couldn't find a 1873-4 With Arrows half dollar in XF or so. I'm also struggling with finding a With Motto Seated Dollar in a similar grade. Every single one of them looks cleaned to me. Maybe it's just me.

I didn't pay attention to the World Coin dealers but there were at least three ancient coin dealers set up. I'm very excited to finish up my current numismatic projects so I can move in that direction soon.

I definitely recommend this show. I know some folks with take issue with the $7 admission fee. For me it was a couple hours entertainment that was well worth it.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Indeetlib is a forum member here and occasionally posts. He seems to do a lot of eBay biz, and also issues fixed price lists via email.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭✭

Great report

• Options

@KSorbo @savitale Thanks for the reports!

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hyf88 said:

• Bill

I think it is probably a British halfpenny of George II, the elderly portrait was used from 1740-1754. More info here:
    http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk/halfp.html

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file