Home Sports Talk
Options

Huckleberry gone wild, I wonder what he thinks of Bob Feller!!??!!

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rapid Robert pitched in a bygone era and bears some resemblance to Muhammad Ali in regard to the competition he faced, arguably some of the best batters to ever play MLB. To top it off, he actually started to pitch to those HOF Greats when he was 17 years old and had to leave the Team to finish High School!!! In the no radar gun age it is supposed that he had a fastball that topped out close to 100mph and also had a nice change-up and curve ball to go along with the heater.

For anyone who hasn't seen footage of him, he was old school and had a high leg delivery similar to Bob Gibson. I believe the arguement could be made that he was one of the best, maybe the best, RHP of all-time. I should also mention that like Muhammad Ali, Bob Feller also missed a few years in his prime when he enlisted in the US Navy and served during WWII. Ironic isn't it, one man lost time because he served and the other because he wouldn't serve, but both held strongly to their personal beliefs.

Al H.

Comments

• Options

he collected old tractors, how can you not like that!!!

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    he collected old tractors, how can you not like that!!!

As long as they weren't hoyt-clagwell tractors its sounds mighty fine

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

can you even imagine a 17 year old playing MLB today. unreal.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    edited March 15, 2019 9:49AM

the last one i recall that was great would be Al Kaline, he came right out of HS. back to Feller, I think he had like a 24 win season before he was 21 and he had more career complete games than wins!! how did he do that?? :|
    --- a Bob Feller quote i just found: If you believe your catcher is intelligent and you know that he has considerable experience, it is a good thing to leave the game almost entirely in his hands.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Heater from Van Meter

Imagine finishing a major league season and then going back...

....to high school for graduation?!?!?!!?

Crazy stuff. Bob Feller vs Harley Davidson = worth watching

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MLBdays said:
    Feller as a pitcher and a sports card collectible is undervalued.... splendid character guy as well.

Could not agree more. Very under appreciated in the card world. He is critiqued from time to time for his overly autographing of items. But that's what was great about him. Very approachable. Served his country well and performed great on the field. IIRC he supplied the bat to Babe Ruth so the Babe could support himself at the Yankee Stadium on field farewell for the Babe. In that famous photo of a uniformed Babe.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".