Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

For those of you (Collectors, not dealers) that have set up a table at a small, local, show

2»

Comments

• Options

Great topic with a lot of great suggestions. Have fun is one of the best, especially if you are only doing this part-time. When business is slow take a deep breath and keep reminding yourself that the next person at your table may just make the whole show.

No good deed goes unpunished

carolinacollectorcoins.com
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

I may have to do something like this in the near future... HINT HINT... Over 90% of my inventory will be in the form of GOLD coins. And some rare private minted ones too...

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

to my way of thinking trying to sell at a show isn't a bad idea. it can be done at a minimal cost, offers an opportunity to sell at retail and any time spent at a coin show is a fun time for me. keeping it safe and sensibly simple seems the most important thing. the suggestion of business cards is a good one. around 10-15 years ago when I attended shows regularly I had a friend with a printing business make me some cards --- with some basic contact info it was easy to look through dealer stock, talk and make contact instead of just a phone number and name on a scrap of paper. it seemed to work.

since I'm getting older and my collection is getting larger it is an eventual thing that stuff needs to be sold. that can be both easy and difficult, fun and frustrating.
    1). I'll sell what I can to a shop.
    2). the BST is a good option.
    3). Great Collections or eBay can move some items, I just don't like the fees.
    4). the Bochiman Show option is a good one.
    5). when all else has been exhausted, the more expensive and stubborn stuff goes either to auction or back to the bank.

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 16, 2019 5:25AM

--**Prices front, or prices on the back? ** I have gone back and forth on this and have settled on prices on the back. If you have prices on the front, people tend to look at those and not at the coins. I'd rather them look at my coins ... after all, 'Life Is Too Short To Buy Ugly Coins'! I do have a printed list with the price I paid and the price I'm asking so I don't have to grab every coin out of the case (hard on the back!) when someone asks the price. I show them the coin (if they want) and look up the price. I had an interesting discussion in Chattanooga with the dealer across the way who had prices on the front. The first thing he said to everyone who approached his table was "ignore the prices"! Hmmm.

Another reason I prefer not to have printed prices on the front is, I have some coins which are quite valuable. For the people whose only motives on being at a show are nefarious (to case the joint, find the weakest links), I'd just as soon they not know which coins they are. I assume that knowledgeable attendees on the whole have better motives. I do not take out more than five coins at a time from my cases. I don't allow people to spread out books all over my cases. And I unobtrusively check when someone hands me back a slab that it is the same one I handed them!

--But beyond just casting a jaundiced eye on those who come to your table, people remember the dealers who were nice to them! (And I don't think they ever forget the ones who weren't.) I usually bring some little giveaways for kids; they are the future of the hobby. And everyone deserves your respect. Don't assume anything about a person's buying power from their appearance. (At one recent show, I sold several high-dollar coins to a man who was a turnip farmer. And he was dressed as--a turnip farmer.)
    --If you do a show, you are going to be mostly on your feet for several hours a day. The advice that Birgit Nilsson gave when they asked her how did she prepare to sing Isolde (a five-hour operatic performance) applies: "Wear comfortable shoes."

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

hey George, how does a turnip farmer dress?? :|

• Options
    jabbajabba Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a word on customer service I’m just a collector who sells on eBay occasionally and had several auctions where I was on had at the end and was able to answer questions online. The fist customer asked about original mint packaging. I had it and threw it in for free and combined shipping he bid and won two of the auctions.The second auction I was asked to combine shipping and the gentleman won four of my auctions and I ended up giving him free shipping. That cost me $10 but he’s was very great full and added me to his sellier list. I may have a repeat customer or I may never hear from them again but the fact I cared enough to be there and answer question got them motivated to bid well enough to win multiple auctions. Customer service in this day and age goes a long way.

• Options
    numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭

This thread is like a college course in boarse! Just filled with great info and pretty much all of it is helpful.Two things I may be able to add...
    1)Give away candy! I find that a $5 investment in a large bag of Life Savers (or some alike candy) draws 'em in! and ........
    2)Be very careful when you turn your back...as sad as it is to say, at a show you are a target for pretty crafty thieves....it's just a fact we have to deal with.Even when you leave the show...be cautious not to put your stuff in your car and then drive to a restaurant and leave your valuables unattended.Thieves have been known to follow dealers from a show to target them then, or even later by following you home.This is not paranoia...it's several times a year that we hear of this happening.Don't be paranoid, just be mindful and unusually alert.

Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency
  • Options

@keets said:
    hey George, how does a turnip farmer dress?? :|

A tuxedo.

• Options
    bobsrbobsr Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

If you're anticipating doing this more than once, you're going to want to establish a customer base. Most more established (older) dealers are not techno superstars like most young people today. Networking is essential for long term. I set up a drawing for something free, Get name , phone number, email, facebook, etc specifically ask if they want to be contacted for something in their collection area, ie specials, bullion and if they have things to sell. You can then follow up later to let them know you have a special deal for them or have a buyer for their excess or when you're going to be at a show and what table you're at. When getting a table, see if end caps are available (3 tables in U ) facing front of hall where people enter. think about TALL signs or flashing blue lights that attract attention. Don't be afraid to spend a little on people selling to you. Be fair, sellers will come back again to someone they trust and LASTLY
    If You're Selling, You are a DEALER !!!!!!!!
    Bob Sr CEO Fieldtechs

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

At shows virtually all of my coins have prices on the front. The really valuable ones don't have prices, I am happy to look those coins up in my list. My reasoning is that a potential buyer wants to know if the price is in the ballpark, if it is, the coin is worth a look, if not, pass.

Another dealer (whose prices are not listed) told me he had a potential customer who asked the prices of about 50 different coins. This required a lot of effort, and the customer ended up not buying anything. I asked him what he had learned from that experience.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

This might sound dumb but i f you set up at a show buy yourself what happens when you have to hit the bathroom? How do you look at the inventory other dealers have?

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@skier07 said:
    This might sound dumb but i f you set up at a show buy yourself what happens when you have to hit the bathroom? How do you look at the inventory other dealers have?

It depends... lol :D

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 16, 2019 9:32AM

@Hemispherical said:

@skier07 said:

It depends... lol :D

I have a urologist friend who can set me up with a Foley catheter. The bag might scare a few folks.

• Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@skier07 said:

Have a bucket or pail available :o

• Options

@skier07 said:

@skier07 All our cases lock and we make sure to lock them beforehand. And we ask our neighbor to keep an eye out (not that I depend on that). All the cases have covers which also lock and you can always leave them covered and locked if you want to shop other folks' wares.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@numbersman said:
    This thread is like a college course in boarse! Just filled with great info and pretty much all of it is helpful.Two things I may be able to add...
    1)Give away candy! I find that a $5 investment in a large bag of Life Savers (or some alike candy) draws 'em in! and ........
    2)Be very careful when you turn your back...as sad as it is to say, at a show you are a target for pretty crafty thieves....it's just a fact we have to deal with.Even when you leave the show...be cautious not to put your stuff in your car and then drive to a restaurant and leave your valuables unattended.Thieves have been known to follow dealers from a show to target them then, or even later by following you home.This is not paranoia...it's several times a year that we hear of this happening.Don't be paranoid, just be mindful and unusually alert.

I agree with the candy idea.
    I have done that for years.
    I also bring a cooler with bottled water and share with other friends/dealers.
    I talk to everyone who walks by, especially kids.
    I will spend a lot of time with them, especially if they show some interest, and even if they don't.
    I dress well and don't have stains on my shirt or BO.
    (Despite the many jokes about mustard stains--you will NOT see any on me.)
    I think that's a cliché anyway.
    I have a "free coins for kids" box that is usually popular, as well as the 1/2 price box, which people love.
    The 1/2 price box is the only place where I put prices on my coins.
    Simply because it does not matter what price you put on them, you will still get hagglers.
    And I have different price structure for different buyers...well-known wholesalers who spend a lot with me get a better deal than the tire-kickers.
    So, no prices.

And if they steal from the 1/2 price box that's OK...just less I have to lug home!

But yes, be careful leaving and while driving home. Try not to stop at all if possible.

Not always possible, I know.
    And check your mirrors for people following you.

• Options

I used to give away candy. All it ever did for me was attract people who wanted free candy in addition to those who wanted free coins. In fact, some of the larger candy-eaters would stand there and block potential buyers.

Not only check your mirrors, check your tires before you start out. I have heard of thieves letting the air out of tires so dealers would have to stop. And yes, absolutely, do not stop on the drive home unless absolutely necessary.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember my very first show.

Many of the other dealers were like vultures circling my table. I sold to them. They took my Morgan Dollar collection. Most likely sold way too low even tho I was up on the coins themselves.

Thing is, I bought my first fishing kayak with the proceeds which changed my life so I won.

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

@skier07 said:

Cover your table and stuff with a tablecloth and then pile a bunch of chairs on top of it. You’ll be fine.

• Options

@DNADave said:

@skier07 said:

Cover your table and stuff with a tablecloth and then pile a bunch of chairs on top of it. You’ll be fine.

Absolutely. This. The ultimate security measure at shows.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buy a Body Bag! Probably a couple hundred bucks but worth the piece of mind!

@DNADave said:

@skier07 said:

• Options
    KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

know/set your expectations. What would you expect to sell or buy at the venue?

First show I did, I made my goal of selling four coins. I made my goal. That was it. All other transactions were gravy. The show was a success

• Options
    RockyMtnProspectorRockyMtnProspector Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've done a couple coin club bourse appearances, selling coins I've upgraded or bought as part of other collections or basically stuff I've decided no longer fits my collection.

But I'm curious, as part of this thread, to get an idea of what one should look for on the buy side--is it a complete crapshoot of whoever happens to be selling, or is there a pretty consistent offering (bullion to slabbed coins) that set reasonable expectations? To be clear, having read stories in this forum there is always that black swan coin or collection that may appear. Wondering what you've been typically offered.

Secondly, what kind of budget should one set for buying? I'm not a dealer in any true sense of the word, having never had a paid table at a show, and I've never bought from the public. Is there a percentage vs. your estimated inventory or some other method? One dealer I spoke to said he typically had $10K on hand and access to much more via check if the right coin or collection was offered. Not seeking any trade secrets but any insight would be appreciated.

GSAs, OBW rolls, Seated, Walkers. Anything old and Colorado-focused, CO nationals.

Gonna get me a $50 Octagonal someday. Some. Day.
  • Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

A very useful thread! I've never had a table at shows, but this thread does have a lot of good info and tips. The only other thing I would add to the loads of great help here is don't loudly harangue potential customers with your political views/gripes. I ended up walking away from a dealer at Long Beach after he went on and on and on about CA taxes and fees after I asked him about payment options for a nice toned Morgan.

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

So how did the OP make out?

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah! How'd it go? I set up half a dozen times in previous years just for the fun of buying/selling. I learned quite a bit and was definitely treated as "fresh meat" on those first couple shows. I learned pretty quick to just say no to lowball dealers. I sold half of my nicest stuff before the show even began to dealers and realized pretty quick that I'd have done better keeping it priced right for real customers.
    photo IMG_0280-1.jpg
    photo IMG_0275.jpg

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't done it, yet, Melty....I have been playing with the idea though, and recalling that you had done it before and some of your comments about it then (the enjoyment and the dealers, as you mentioned again), was one of the points in my mind when I created this thread.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did this once and it is a real learning experience for sure, for the most part it was just as @Meltdown described. The one thing I learned at my local show is that slabs don't sell, small show goers are mostly looking for raw FV-XF material and/or anything to cherrypick, and the dealers are looking to rip the new guy.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file