Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Should I submit my raw 1983 DDR lincoln to PCGS?

When I first bought it in the mid 1980's it was a nice shiny penny. Now it has some bubbles and spotting and it no longer is a nice looking coin. Sorry no pictures. Is it still worth submitting it to PCGS? Will they even grade it? And do I have to pay extra for the Varietal Attribution?

Comments

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good chance the bubbles you are seeing are in the planchet and you just didn't notice them until you started looking closer at the spots. The bubbles are not a big factor in grading, the spots can be. You may have one with an old cleaning. Photos are needed to give you any real feedback.

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 12, 2019 12:13PM

Variety attribution does not cost extra For this coin. grading of $22 minimum and $10 handling, add shipping around $24
    So around $57 will get it slabbed. As for grade, that is your guess.

Lowest eBay buy it now price is $228 in ms64RD...

Edited for information error

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

go Raiders! ;)

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

The bubbles can make a DDR look pretty bad, but some TPG's don't seem to mind. I recently used ANACS for mine and it came back MS-64.

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the coin has a look that you don't like, have it authenticated and graded (assuming it's worth the fees) and sell it. Use the money to buy a coin you like

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    Variety attribution does cost extra an $18. Plus grading of $22 minimum and $10 handling, add shipping around $24
    So around $75 will get it slabbed. As for grade, that is your guess.

Lowest eBay buy it now price is $228 in ms64RD...

You do not need variety attribution for an 83 DDR, it is automatic. Find a dealer to submit it for you and get it slabbed for $25.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the absence of pictures (necessary for any substantial help), the best general advice is given above by @david3142... Just pay a dealer to have it slabbed, then sell it and get a coin you like. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

Quality and cost matters in this situation IMO

I would sell it and find myself a nice already slabbed version.

Paying your grading fees is only adding cost to a coin that sounds like will not straight grade.

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LeeBone said:
    Quality and cost matters in this situation IMO

I would sell it and find myself a nice already slabbed version.

Paying your grading fees is only adding cost to a coin that sounds like will not straight grade.

This.

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭✭✭

List it in a 10 day auction with great images ending about 930pm east coast time.

It wont go unnoticed and will realize it's true value. Maybe a slight discount for future grading

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's worth it (grading) only if you're selling. But you may fair better selling it raw, as is. It's a toss up, really ! I'd buy it. But I'd have to see it, first. It sounds perfect for a variety in a type set album.

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

You first. I don't have any pictures, but should I send my Peace dollar in? I'll then tell you if you should send your coin in.

• Options
    kuwegg57kuwegg57 Posts: 105 ✭✭✭

@kuwegg57 said:
    When I first bought it in the mid 1980's it was a nice shiny penny. Now it has some bubbles and spotting and it no longer is a nice looking coin. Sorry no pictures. Is it still worth submitting it to PCGS? Will they even grade it? And do I have to pay extra for the Varietal Attribution?

Hows this?

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would send it in on the cheap service level. Is that dirt on there also? How was he stored?

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 12, 2019 4:42PM

That is such a cool coin.

The bubbles don't bother me as much as the muddy toning.

Just enough to trigger my OCD.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kuwegg57 That is a cool DDO!

But... what happened in the ~35 years? If it was in an album, what was/is the name of storage album?

• Options

@Wabbit2313 said:
    I would send it in on the cheap service level. Is that dirt on there also? How was he stored?

It was bought as a penny that looked like it just came out of the Mint. I placed it in a Capital Plastic holder and put it in a 2x2 coin box. It was left in my closet for all these years. I live in Hawaii so it can get quite humid some days

• Options
    edited June 10, 2020 4:00AM

Came back as a Brown Genuine UNC Details (91- Questionable Color)??? What is it worth? Not much according to CoinFacts.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's nice to own one!

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are many who like this variety due to the obvious doubling...and you can count me among them. Unfortunate about the "details" moniker. Would an acetone bath help?

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    cucamongacoincucamongacoin Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭
    edited June 10, 2020 10:41AM

@kuwegg57 said:

@Wabbit2313 said:

It was bought as a penny that looked like it just came out of the Mint. I placed it in a Capital Plastic holder and put it in a 2x2 coin box. It was left in my closet for all these years. I live in Hawaii so it can get quite humid some days

Which Island? We have friends that live south of Kona on the Big Island, and the VOG wreaks havoc on metals there.

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ebay.com/sch/cucamo...?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc="> MY EBAY
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oih82w8 said:
    There are many who like this variety due to the obvious doubling...and you can count me among them. Unfortunate about the "details" moniker. Would an acetone bath help?

Unlikely, humid salt water areas require some extra measures when storing highly reactive metals like copper coated zinc cents. Too bad this is a really great DD.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

It's submission time. MS-64

• Options

Oops. I'll buy it as a genuine. :wink:

• Options

@kuwegg57 said:
    Came back as a Brown Genuine UNC Details (91- Questionable Color)??? What is it worth? Not much according to CoinFacts.

You tell me ( in PMs ). :).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file