Home Q & A Forum
Options

Pastery cutter 1858

How rare is this piece? Why did they use the coin in this way? Also any thoughts of worth and collective stance !

Comments

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 11, 2019 9:31PM

Looks like a nice one, and yes they are collectible. :)

As far as value I'm not the one you want to ask. Maybe @ThePennyLady will stop by and give you more info.

Also you could do a search here for Pie Crimper

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to thw forums @Coinrunner1.

Rarity: Not rare, uncommon, yes

Why: Who knows... Why would people drill holes, smash, abuse, scrape, paint, etc coins in the first place. Sometimes people just do things to make a buck, i.e, a novelty item.

Collecting: That item probably has more of a novelty look. Numismatically, I think, too much of the coin (if that is a real coin) is missing. From the baking side, maybe. Someone may want it for a few bucks.

Do an bay search for completed sales/auctions to see what they sell for.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

For 50 cents that is a great find.

Why do you disagree that it is a novelty? It is a primitive style antique pie crimper/pastry cutter. I do not know if there are specific collectors of such things, but there is interest to coin collectors who collect novelty coin- related items.

There is a whole thread about them on the US Coins forum. If you can find that thread I am sure they'd be happy to see it.

P.S. - it is hand made and coins were a handy source of material for the wheel. Be careful cleaning it. It looks good now but it you clean it much more you will take away the aged patina, especially on the iron.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone posted the link on your other thread below....