Home Sports Talk

Foles to Jags for $88M, $50M guaranteed

hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Jacksonville Jaguars will sign former Eagles quarterback Nick Foles to a four-year deal worth $88 million, according to ESPN and multiple sources.

The deal includes $50.125 million in guaranteed money, a source tells ESPN's Adam Schefter.

The Jaguars are expected to release quarterback Blake Bortles once Foles officially signs, according to ESPN's Dan Graziano.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26231282/source-foles-jags-88m-50m-guaranteed

Comments

• PopeyesSpinachPopeyesSpinach Posts: 194 ✭✭✭
    edited March 11, 2019 3:32PM

Good for Foles. He's a good man. Hopefully he provides the jags with the same magic he brought to Philly

Blake Buttles will end up a backup somewhere

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome. I recall that when Foles played at Arizona, a commentator said that he would never be a starter, but could make a couple million a year as a backup.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

Philly fans are happy that Nick Foles got paid.

Especially since the Jaguars are in the AFC.

When Foles comes to the Linc with his new team, you watch, he will get a loud standing ovation before the game. But then as soon as the game begins, we will all hope he throws at least four interceptions. :)

@stevek said:

When Foles comes to the Linc with his new team, you watch, he will get a loud standing ovation before the game.

As he should. It's most likely going to be the last time you guys can cheer for a super bowl champion.

Hi Steve🤣

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good for Foles getting paid now lets see if the Jags start adding weapons on offense for him.

This picture illustrates approximately the last time the Dallas Cowboys won a Super Bowl

Hurtful I tell ya lol

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish Peyton would just stop it with the commercials. Painful to watch how stupid they are.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/03/free-agency-nick-foles-jaguars-contract

By signing Nick Foles, the Jaguars are making the same mistake all over again

The Jaguars did it again. They outbid themselves for another mediocre quarterback. Last year it was Blake Bortles. This year, it’s Nick Foles.

Foles will reportedly sign a four-year, $88 million deal, including $50.2 million in guarantees, when free agency officially opens on Wednesday. This comes one year after the team gave Bortles a three-year, $54 million extension. To make room for Foles’ contract, the Jaguars will cut Bortles and eat $16.5 million in dead money. Jacksonville is using A LOT of its cap space on the quarterback position and it’s difficult to even say that they’ve made a major upgrade.

Let’s just ignore the early part of Foles career and focus on the last two seasons, which is when he really earned that contract. Since 2017, Bortles has a higher yards-per-attempt (6.9 to 6.2), a near-identical adjusted net yards per attempt, which factors in touchdowns, interceptions and sacks, (6.48 to 6.49) and has rushed for 687 yards and three touchdowns compared to Foles’ 20 rush yards.

• orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have always felt that Bortles is a better qb than you would think if you only listened to the media. In reality, in his time as the Jags qb, he was only ever really given 2 playmakers, Leonard Fournette and Allen Robinson. They let Robinson go, and Fournette has missed 11 games in 2 years. The O-line isn't anything great and they have surrounded Bortles with a cast of mediocre to bad players. He was essentially set up to fail and he wasn't given any help at all by the ownership. Foles won't fair any better than Bortles did unless they give him some better players on offense.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think Foles gives them a better chance to win, the Jags just don’t have the pieces on Offense to succeed though.

• JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭

If you ever watched Bortles play, his accuracy was horrible. It's one thing to not be able to read a defense, but when you do throw, put the ball where your guy can make a play. That's one area I believe that Foles excels; he trusts that his players can make the play for him. We've seen it here with Jeffrey, Ertz and the other Eagle receivers. I think Foles will at least force the Jags opponent to play honest and not stack the box all the time. Let's face it, they way to beat the Jags was to force Bortles to beat you through the air.

Yes, and I don't like saying this, but Foles talent is not in question. The question is how many hits can he take during the season without developing "happy feet" and I think we all know what that means.

Once that begins to happen, a star quarterback can turn into a gross liability, and it can happen quickly.

Sorry to say i think this will happen with Foles because it's basically happened before, and Foles was younger then.

We shall see. I hope i'm wrong.

• PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Foles had better supporting cast in Philly, I would be surprised if they were much above a .500 team.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    Yes, and I don't like saying this, but Foles talent is not in question. The question is how many hits can he take during the season without developing "happy feet" and I think we all know what that means.

Once that begins to happen, a star quarterback can turn into a gross liability, and it can happen quickly.

Sorry to say i think this will happen with Foles because it's basically happened before, and Foles was younger then.

Why did philly jettison Bennet? I see he is our guy now

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

Why did philly jettison Bennet? I see he is our guy now

Salary cap issue for the most part.

But perhaps the Eagles coaches saw something on the game films that they didn't like, and that Bennett wasn't worth the money?

Evidently though the master saw something he did like for the money.

I don’t like Bennett at all, I think he is extremely racist to be honest but as long as he attacks opposing QB’s with his hatred then fine 🤷‍♂️

@perkdog said:
    I don’t like Bennett at all, I think he is extremely racist to be honest but as long as he attacks opposing QB’s with his hatred then fine 🤷‍♂️

Bennett was one of the first kneelers. Ya have to wonder if that maybe had a little something to do with the Eagles getting rid of him?

But perhaps not.

Nick Foles injured his shoulder, and ruled out for the rest of today's game.

edited September 8, 2019 11:10AM

@perkdog said:

I agree with ya!

Or i disagree with ya!

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perk is usually spot on.

@Coinstartled said:
    Perk is usually spot on.

You're right.

That period was one of the most eloquently stated periods that I've ever seen.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

perk has a way of getting to the point

I submitted Perk's post to the National Archives, and they immediately accepted it for permanent inclusion.

Thousands of years from now, generations of Americans will marvel at the unquestionable brilliance of that period.

😂. Sorry fellas I posted that Mahomes got hurt but it was Tyreek Hill.

@perkdog said:
    😂. Sorry fellas I posted that Mahomes got hurt but it was Tyreek Hill.

Actually Mahomes sprained an ankle but was able to stay in.
    Was on pace for 500 passing yards but had to settle for 375.
    Hurt his mobility.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

Sucks for Jags fans, Foles broke his clavicle. Maybe I reverse jinxed Wentz talking bout how the 🦅’s should have kept him since he is so injury prone 🤷‍♂️

I just read where it normally takes 4 to 8 weeks for this type of injury to heal. But of course healing for a normal person, and healing to be in shape for a quarterback in the NFL is two different matters.

I'm guessing Foles will be back sometime during the season, but who knows? A bad break for sure, however he's got a contract with 50 million guaranteed so I'm not about to feel too sorry for him.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have to say that the Jags are snakebit.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Foles backup played great.
    I think they said he played at Washington State.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21