Home Sports Talk

Antonio Brown to the Las Vegas Raiders

ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 645 ✭✭✭✭

I can't help but be reminded of what happened when Randy Moss went to the Raiders. That was a disaster.

Comments

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

he turns 31 before the start of the season

the gradual decline into obscurity starts now

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,342 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Raiders team Moss went to was an absolute DISASTER though. If they keep Carr he will have a good chance to put up 75 catches and a 1000 yards

Oh and this is the first move that has been a positive thing that Gruden has done for this Raiders team btw

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Oh and this is the first move that has been a positive thing that Gruden has done for this Raiders team btw

I’m not sure about that; trading draft picks for a malcontent 31 year old wide receiver when the team needs just about everything?

The funniest part is that Jon Gruden made himself a legend by winning with Tony Dungy’s team and by doing not much else. The Raiders were terrible last year and with moves like this seem to be headed further down the path to replacing the Browns as the laughingstock of the league.

Jon Gruden is terribly overrated. Closer to Barry Switzer than John Madden to me.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@perkdog said:

I’m not sure about that; trading draft picks for a malcontent 31 year old wide receiver when the team needs just about everything?

The funniest part is that Jon Gruden made himself a legend by winning with Tony Dungy’s team and by doing not much else. The Raiders were terrible last year and with moves like this seem to be headed further down the path to replacing the Browns as the laughingstock of the league.

Jon Gruden is terribly overrated. Closer to Barry Switzer than John Madden to me.

Brown is still a huge talent though. I completely agree with you about Gruden, but again since he came to Oakland not a single move has been a positive thing for that team. Yea he has s bunch of draft picks but on paper getting AB is a positive thing, he was a malcontent in Pittsburgh and wanted out, he got his wish and chose to sign with Oakland on his terms. I don’t believe he will carry his anger to Oakland, he cried like a baby and got what he wanted right?

Plus the Raiders gave up a 3rd and 5th round pick. Not that much in my opinion and forget Gruden finding better value with those 2 picks combined. He will be lucky if he scores with his first rounder

@perkdog said:

@perkdog said:

Brown is still a huge talent though. I completely agree with you about Gruden, but again since he came to Oakland not a single move has been a positive thing for that team. Yea he has s bunch of draft picks but on paper getting AB is a positive thing, he was a malcontent in Pittsburgh and wanted out, he got his wish and chose to sign with Oakland on his terms. I don’t believe he will carry his anger to Oakland, he cried like a baby and got what he wanted right?

Just not sure I want a 31 year old Antonio Brown if Big Ben doesn’t come with. Mike Wallace, Santonio Holmes and a host of other guys have left Pittsburgh for big paydays and total obscurity.

I think it happens again. Gut feel.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

@perkdog said:
    Plus the Raiders gave up a 3rd and 5th round pick. Not that much in my opinion and forget Gruden finding better value with those 2 picks combined. He will be lucky if he scores with his first rounder

Paul, be honest: how many guys were you upset with that the Pats let go of at WR since 2004?

Now, in hindsight did any really matter? Tom Brady makes every receiver he plays with look like a Hall of Famer.

To me, into no coincidence that the greatest receiver of all time happened to catch balls thrown by Joe Montana, Steve Young and Rich Gannon. The last of which, while not an all time great, was a damn fine quarterback.

@perkdog said:

Paul, be honest: how many guys were you upset with that the Pats let go of at WR since 2004?

Now, in hindsight did any really matter? Tom Brady makes every receiver he plays with look like a Hall of Famer.

To me, into no coincidence that the greatest receiver of all time happened to catch balls thrown by Joe Montana, Steve Young and Rich Gannon. The last of which, while not an all time great, was a damn fine quarterback.

Carr will never be a Brady but he could get the ball to Brown as much as Big Ben did. I do get your point though

• JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭

I have no problem with them trading for Brown, but if you're throwing around that kind of money, wouldn't you give it to Mack last year? IMO

@JRR300 said:
    I have no problem with them trading for Brown, but if you're throwing around that kind of money, wouldn't you give it to Mack last year? IMO

I would have

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Raiders traded for Brown,signed Pats LT Trent Brown and are rumored to be the front runner for Le'Veon Bell,if they pull off that last one this could be a pretty incredible offensive rebuild in a single offseason.

I’m betting Bell reunites with AB now

Just heard NE offered a better offer of a 2nd & 4th for Antonio Brown but the Steelers didn't want to ship him to the Pats.

• 45isodd45isodd Posts: 206 ✭✭✭

The Raider’s pick in the 2nd round will be better than the Pat’s pick in the 2nd.

Oakland didn't trade their 2nd round pick they gave up their 3rd & 5th round picks for Brown.

• 45isodd45isodd Posts: 206 ✭✭✭

Sorry for that one, thanks for the correction. :)

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pittsburgh really sucks at personnel . They are 21 million against the cap for brown even with him gone :D No wonder the pats get to the superbowl so much , the entire AFC is brain dead

@Huckleberry said:
    Pittsburgh has now lost Brown and Bell. Cant wait to see whats next.

Not much else worth talking about with them now lol

@Huckleberry said:
    Pittsburgh has now lost Brown and Bell. Cant wait to see whats next.

trade the coach for a dozen new towels?

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Huckleberry said:
    It just kills me when these teams get rid of star players. Im reminded of the indianapolis colts getting rid of PEYTON MANNING for an unproven andrew luck. I mean peyton freakin manning. That worked out well didnt it.

How many touchdowns did old Peyton throw this year? Luck threw 39. I think it worked out just fine

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

Peyton manning also went to a much more talented team who almost literally carried him to that last title. he couldnt throw a ball further than 30 yards downfield and his velocity was gone. the broncos defense won that SB in spite of having Manning on the field. here are his SB lines in 48 and 50

SB 48: 280 yds passing 1 td 2 int team scored 8 points.

SB 50: 141 yds passing 0 TD 1 int team scored 24 points with 3 field goals and 1 defensive TD thrown in.

do you really not think Luck could have at least equaled those totals? Do you think A peyton led colts team would have won a SB? very unlikely. once Peyton got off the hgh, look what happened. fell off the cliff.

Colts got rid of an aging QB and drafted a QB who is still with the team, producing on an all pro level four years after peyton ceased to be relevant.

The Colts did it right, Luck is a franchise QB. Trading in an old Beat up HOF QB for a stud like Luck made perfect sense

@Huckleberry said:
    Peyton Manning earned the right to stay the QB for the Colts. To get rid of Peyton Manning was just stupid, and it cost them. Andrew Luck is no Peyton Manning.

earned the right? what? In Professional sports, especially the NFL, players play until there is a better replacement. then they dont. what you are talking about are post career accolades: number retired, HOF etc.

Manning was coming off a major neck injury with significant questions. the colts drafted a stud QB. they did the absolute right thing.

SO in your opinion, how long did Mannings great career with the Colts earn him as starting QB? 2 years, 4 years, 6 years? at what point are they allowed to move on? do you not draft a stud QB when you have the number 1 pick because Manning earned the right to stay? how is that helping the team in the long run.
    under your watch, The colts would still be trotting out old Peyton because he earned it.

you are right, Luck is no Manning. he has thrown 85 TDś since Manning retired. I would say the Colts have the MUCH better QB right now.

Look, I am a Patriots guy, and I love me some tom brady, but the same thing will eventually happen to him. and when it does, I will still be a patriots guy.

you root for the laundry.

@Huckleberry said:
    Peyton is one of the ALL TIME greats.

I’m not denying that, I don’t think anyone is. Facts are it’s a business as we all know, like Craig I’m the biggest Pats/Brady fan. When it’s time for Brady to move on I’m going to be ok with it, problem is nobody knows when the right time will be. I had second thoughts when they got rid of Garropplo and thought Brady might be at the end and then 3 Super Bowks in a row. Manning did well with Denver but that was a Super Bowl ready team, one of the worst QB’s in the league had success there lol

Brady's situation is entirely different seeing that the owner already made the decision that Tom can play until he decides its time to quit and traded the "young superstar" instead.

manning sucked in the playoffs

@Huckleberry said:
    Oh come on! You are going to sit there and tell me that the Patriots are going to get rid of Tom Brady someday? Get real! As far as Peyton is concerned, he did EARN the right to stay in Indianapolis as their QB. He was already one of the all time greats when they got rid of him. Next to Brady, Peyton was the best QB in the league when the colts BETRAYED him.

wrong. this is not game of thrones or medieval times when men were chivalrous and earned the right to do something even when their abilities were at question or on the line. lets get into the context here a bit, shall we?

Manning had regressed from 2009-2010. rating and qbr were both down. TD % was down and sack % was up. then the neck injury happened. he missed the entire 11 season. at the time, if you remember, there were real concerns about arm strength during his work outs before the 2012 season. he was 36 years old.

the colts had the #1 pick in the draft in 2012 when a consensus stud quarterback was available to draft. of course, they drafted him. why go with a question mark when you can plan out the next 12-15 years of your team.

Manning went to a ready made team and had success. but remember, the teams didnt know that at the time. they didnt know if manning would take one hit and have to retire. they didnt trust the arm strength. Manning was a huge question mark. the colts made the right decision at the time, and the right decision for now. manning is long gone and they have a pro bowl level quarterback.

I dont know you. maybe you are a snowflake who wants the world to be fair and just. well, it isnt. when Brady took over for Bledsoe it was because of an injury. they say in sports you should never loose your job because of injury. well, it was the right decision. I questioned it at the time. I was wrong. because I was too attached to the player. if anyone ¨deserved¨ to get their job back after injury, it was Bledsoe. I watched his entire career as a patriot. that man was beat mercilessly by opposing D lines. but Brady was the right choice, fair or not. there would be no 6 super bowls had Belichick been fair and given Bledsoe back the job you would say he earned.

@Huckleberry said:
    Oh come on! You are going to sit there and tell me that the Patriots are going to get rid of Tom Brady someday? Get real! As far as Peyton is concerned, he did EARN the right to stay in Indianapolis as their QB. He was already one of the all time greats when they got rid of him. Next to Brady, Peyton was the best QB in the league when the colts BETRAYED him.

If you think Belichek would hang on to a washed up Brady and look the other way if a stud QB was available to him then you are clearly off your rocker. The only thing these guys “Earn” is their money for performance.

perkdog is correct. BB will cut anyone. anyone.

@Huckleberry said:
    Thats like Phil Jackson getting rid or Jordan. Aint gonna happen.

Don't forget the colts are a terrible organization. They destroyed Luck by mishandling him and they let a suck coach hang around for years . Kinda like Pittsburgh with Tomlin.

@Huckleberry said:
    Thats like Phil Jackson getting rid or Jordan. Aint gonna happen.

so will Brady be playing at 50? 60? 70? of course not. at some point, father time catches up with everyone. If he tries to hang on to the point where a replacement player would be a better option, you better believe BB will cut him or trade him. no one can play forever.

Bob Kraft already overruled Bill Belichick on how Tom Brady's career will end with NE and there is zero chance of him getting cut or traded by BB.

@erikthredd We both know Belichick would get rid of him if he was washed up. I know Kraft might not allow it so it’s a mute point, but Big Bill is cold as ice when it comes down to players not performing

so you are telling me that if Tom decided he wanted to keep playing until age 60 he would not be cut? Kraft may have made some comments, but there comes a time for every player when they can no longer perform physically. He would be cut If he decided to keep playing long after he was physically able. I know as Patriots fans we are riding a high wave here, but as performance wanes, the memories of those great times will seem dimmer and dimmer. it happens in every sport.

Guys,Brady has repeatedly stated he'd like to keep playing till he's 45 while also mentioning that his wife wants him to retire sooner than that so there won't be a time when he's just hanging on to the game for the hell of it. We all know his cut off date and it certainly isn't completely unrealistic like playing till he's 60,its three years with a decent chance of sooner if he wins his 7th in the next year or two. We won't see this guy trying to hang on at the end of his career for glory's sake,he's leaving this team on his own terms,not cut and definitely not traded.

Erik, call me crazy but I think Brady will hang around to make sure he has the all time passing yardage record. I could be wrong but I think that is something he wants

we all saw how Manning dropped off the cliff in his last year. At Bradyś age, it could happen at any time. Do you really believe that if next year or the year after if this happened that BB would just stand by? I dont think so. next man up.

@perkdog since when does he care for passing records? As long as Brees keeps playing that total keeps getting higher. I honestly don't think he'll ever get that top spot.

@craig44 said:
    we all saw how Manning dropped off the cliff in his last year. At Bradyś age, it could happen at any time. Do you really believe that if next year or the year after if this happened that BB would just stand by? I dont think so. next man up.

Tom Brady isn't Peyton Manning. Just because one guy went out the way he did doesn't mean its going to be the same for another. I certainly don't ever remember reading about Peyton preparing himself off the field like Brady has these past 3-4 years to keep playing at a high level as he gets older. Unless you want to count HGH getting shipped to Manning's wife then yeah,he tried.

Erik, if you look back at the countless games when we saw Brady forcing the ball downfield late in the game while leaning on a huge margin of a lead you might consider that he might care about stats. I’ve long thought that he does even though he will never mention it. Might be me overthinking it too I’m not saying I 100% believe it but I do consider it from time to time

I think that has more to do with Belichick's "60 minutes" mentality than it does Brady thinking about career stats.

edited March 14, 2019 9:02AM

@erikthredd I knew you would say that, I thought of that to, but ya never know either way

I really think it is more about his personal rivalry with Manning. he has already opened up the titles disparity to the point it is not even close. now I think he is trying to catch up with Mannings regular season stats and slam the door shut on any possible debate that manning could have been better in any way.

remember the private emails that were uncovered in 2015? Brady mentioned that ¨Ive got another 7 or 8 years, he has 2. thats the final chapter. game on¨

I think Brady´s competitiveness and dislike for Manning is coming out here.

On the surface Manning and Brady are “Friends” and I don’t believe Brady has any disdain for him outside of anyone thinking that Msnning was better lol. No one will ever question Brady’s competitiveness though that’s for sure. Craig I never heard of that email thing

edited March 14, 2019 9:41AM

@perkdog said:
    On the surface Manning and Brady are “Friends” and I don’t believe Brady has any disdain for him outside of anyone thinking that Msnning was better lol. No one will ever question Brady’s competitiveness though that’s for sure. Craig I never heard of that email thing

It was from the Wells Report. Someone who had access to his phone during the five times he left it with the investigators leaked out some of his emails.

Thanks Erik 👍

It was back in summer 2015 when the whole deflategate thing was going on and they got some of Bradys private emails. the one about Manning came out and shed just a little light on how tom views their relationship. perhaps I miss spoke when I mentioned toms dislike for manning. maybe there is a frendship their, i dont know. I do know there is a competition at least from bradys side and i am sure it irks him if someone thinks Manning is superior. I have thought for awhile now that those late game TDś are to try and catch Peyton for the regular season record.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Huckleberry said:
    And most Colts fans were livid when they found out about Manning leaving. Some fans were even talking about rioting.

I was a Colts fan at the time and it was the right move given the uncertainty with his neck and his cost against the cap. I was actually happy for him to have the chances at more rings, since he wasn't going to have that chance with the supporting cast in Indy at the time.