maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

As I can't edit, see my post in us coins

Comments

• Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

:)

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, hope they find the rightful owner !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    eddie1943eddie1943 Posts: 36 ✭✭

I'm thinking Engelhard does not record the serial numbers. Also the dealer is not likely to record the serial number. So makes me wonder if this is for real.

I'm 75 years old, so there is nothing new about me.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 10, 2019 5:38AM

@eddie1943 said:
    I'm thinking Engelhard does not record the serial numbers. Also the dealer is not likely to record the serial number. So makes me wonder if this is for real.

disagree, while Englehard has no way of knowing who owns their bars, owner has pics of bar if not records showing serial number.

One would think that sender has a claim on file with FEDEX unless a third party insured the item. In that case FEDEX might try contacting some of the larger third party insurers.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    ZubieZubie Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭✭

So...contact who...AE??? Sounds a little suspicious to me...?

Positive BST Transactions with:
    Overdate, BestMR, Weather11AM, TDEC1000, Carew4me, BigMarty58, Coinsarefun, Golfer72, UnknownComic, DMarks, JFoot13, ElKevvo, Truthteller, Duxbutt, TwoSides2aCoin, PerryHall, mhammerman, Papabear, Wingsrule, WTCG, MillerJW, Ciccio, zrlevin, dantheman984, tee135, jdimmick, gsa1fan, jmski52, SUMORADA, guitarwes, bstat1020, pitboss, meltdown, Schmitz7, 30AnvZ28, pragmaticgoat, wondercoin & MkMan123
  • Options
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

@eddie1943 said:

When I was working as a dealer I frequently put serial numbers of bars on invoices, just for instances like this.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know I would record serial numbers of products I sell - If I sold products - seems like good business practice. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@eddie1943 said:

disagree, while Englehard has no way of knowing who owns their bars, owner has pics of bar if not records showing serial number.

One would think that sender has a claim on file with FEDEX unless a third party insured the item. In that case FEDEX might try contacting some of the larger third party insurers.

Yeah I always have images and sometimes record the numbers seperately. Should be standard practice.

The story does sound odd though. Can this be accessed on the ae website? I don't see it.

allengelhard.com

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VanHalen said:

@derryb said:

@eddie1943 said:

Yeah I always have images and sometimes record the numbers seperately. Should be standard practice.

The story does sound odd though. Can this be accessed on the ae website? I don't see it.

allengelhard.com

https://allengelhard.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Attention-Collectors-Engelhard-Bar-Found-3-7-19.pdf

• Options

I received it from AE. I'm a subscriber. I've said enough.

it speaks for itself..

I,                                                                                                                   i

• Options

It was a blast email

• Options
    taxmadtaxmad Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭

If you don't think this is a scam, you will end up on the local news explaining how you are now bankrupt because you paid the IRS with iTunes Gift Cards...

The sender wants you to go to a website and enter your information - they will then take that information and re-route your package.

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

100 ounce un secured bar fell out of a package.

• Options

sounds simple enough. FedEx has a loose bar with no other info and they are willing to return it to it's owner. They reached out to a reputable bullion bar website, who in turn is offering to put the bar's rightful owner in touch with the proper FedEx official. If I lost this bar with FedEx I would not hesitate to find out who I need to be talking to at FedEx.

• Options

Imho that's it in a nutshell.

• Options

Take a look at the domain name for the alert - as well as the domain any link takes you to. None are genuine FedEx (or AE. This isn't new - and FedEx isn't going to spend time trying to track down a $1600 item.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/mssmallbiz/2013/02/26/beware-fake-fed-ex-shipping-phishing-scam-and-others/

Beware! Fake Fed-Ex shipping phishing scam (and others)

February 26, 2013 by Eric Ligman // 3 Comments

imageIf you’ve followed my blog for awhile, you know that from time to time I will share out some information about different scams floating around that I see or read about, etc. in order to help make sure you are aware of them and are protecting yourselves from them, such as:

Beware: “Account Info Change” Phishing Scam

How to avoid scams that use the Microsoft name fraudulently

Fake Hotmail alerts and support calls. Protect yourself and others!

Change your LinkedIn password now, and other tips to help stay safe online and in social media

Well this past week, I have received numerous emails in an apparent fake FedEx shipping phishing scam (It’s not from FedEx, it’s from someone pretending to be) going around, so I thought I would share it here with you so you know what to look for, and to once again cover off on some online basics you should always keep in mind to protect yourself.

The emails I received came in with varying subjects, and here are just a few samples of them:

“Tracking Service”

“Order Detail”

“Shipping Information”

“Tracking Info”

“Tracking Information”

“Shipping Service”

Regardless of the subject, the general message is the same, even though the formatting varies a little. Here’s a screen capture of one of them:

image Click on image for full size

At first glance, this may look like a legitimate FedEx notification, so you may be tempted to just click through to find out what unknown surprise was shipped to you and is waiting to be picked up (which is what they are hoping for). As I have shared several times in the past, before you start aimlessly clicking through emails, especially those offering you unexpected surprises like unclaimed riches, winning lottery entries from countries you’ve never visited, or even unexpected FedEx packages, check out the basics (which I’ll point out some failures below in the email I am using as a demonstration):

image 1) Look at the return address: @Lexington.us??? That’s not FedEx
    2) Notice the Registered Trademark symbol is missing from the FedEx logo (I’ve included the real one to the right in the red circle to see the difference) and the font is different
    3) If you copy and paste that Tracking ID into the FedEx tracking system online at www.FedEx.com, guess what? It’s not recognized because IT’S FAKE!
    4) If you hover over the “Print Receipt” button (DON’T CLICK IT!), you’ll see the crazy URL it wants to take you to if you do click it. Only bad things can come from clicking that item and it is NOT a FedEx URL.

So, it unfortunately looks like I don’t have a surprise package waiting for me at the local FedEx office; however, I also don’t have a “surprise” being installed on my computer right now by not paying attention and blindly clicking on the fake “Print Receipt” button either. Again, this is by no means the only phishing type of scam floating around nor the only one with people pretending to be someone else (fake FedEx in this instance). Please take the proper steps to protect yourself against these types of attempts to access your information and do harm to you and your assets. If you haven’t read the other posts I reference above regarding other scams and resources available to you, please take a few moments to familiarize yourself with them. Oh, and by the way, it looks like the fake “Microsoft Lottery” mail is back in market again, so check out my How to avoid scams that use the Microsoft name fraudulently post to see more about the fake Microsoft items as well.

• Options
  • Options

That is a pdf file name, not a legitimate website address. When you click it asks you if you want to open the pdf file, not go to the site. If you look at the original email it has a odd address.

• Options

from: All Engelhard newsletter@allengelhard.com via mailchimpapp.net
    reply-to: All Engelhard newsletter@allengelhard.com

to:date: Mar 7, 2019, 7:12 PM
    subject: ATTENTION - 100oz ENGELHARD BAR FOUND!
    mailing list: f8360d67c8b5b061b9b1780c7mc list <f8360d67c8b5b061b9b1780c7.166465.list-id.mcsv.net> Filter messages from this mailing list
    mailed-by: mail133.atl81.rsgsv.net
    signed-by: mailchimpapp.net
    security: Standard encryption (TLS) Learn more
    Important according to Google magic.
    edited to delete my email address.
  • Options

here's the other copy on the subscribers page,

I believe it's time to put this to bed.

ALL ENGELHARD Newsletter Subscription

View this email in your browser

ATTENTION COLLECTORS - 100oz ENGELHARD BAR FOUND!

For additional readings, please visit our ORIGINAL PUBLICATIONS page and our IN THE NEWS page!

• Options

So, I asked AE if it was a scam, got this reply:

"Thanks, We appreciate your email. We have actually been in phone contact with the Colorado FEDEX regional office and have spoken with their head of claims, and department supervisor. There is a file and # associated with the claim. We don't see any games or scam here, other than the lost bar may have been due to foul play. We are just trying to assist FEDEX, as bars go lost in transit every day. If you have reason to believe this is a scam, then we would like to know what specific information you might have that would lead us to believe this. Thank you, AE"

• Options

Thanks @derryb

@derryb said:

"Thanks, We appreciate your email. We have actually been in phone contact with the Colorado FEDEX regional office and have spoken with their head of claims, and department supervisor. There is a file and # associated with the claim. We don't see any games or scam here, other than the lost bar may have been due to foul play. We are just trying to assist FEDEX, as bars go lost in transit every day. If you have reason to believe this is a scam, then we would like to know what specific information you might have that would lead us to believe this. Thank you, AE"

This AE subscriber has nothing more to say except, perhaps, no good deed goes unpunished.

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 12, 2019 6:07PM

@mapleman said:

Thanks @derryb

@derryb said:

This AE subscriber has nothing more to say except, perhaps, no good deed goes unpunished.

Questioning the veracity of this claim in no way constitutes punishment.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

OT.

I have a USPS, UPS, and FEDEX accounts. I always log into them if I receive a tracking number and/or email/text for an item I know nothing about.

Almost all the time (95%) it is a family member or a big box store mailing something to household commander 6. ;)

The other times it is for me (5%), but it’s one heck of a shipment(s). B)

So what am I trying to say? Verify.

And thanks @mapleman @derryb for the info and follow-up.

Back to stacking and coins for me. :p