Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dan Carr collection...Update 3/25...Collection started!

Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 25, 2019 8:39AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I’ve been thinking about starting an ungraded D. Carr collection in the plastic flips. I really like most of his products. Anybody have any input or advice before I jump into this. Resale is low on my priority list in terms of disadvantages. This is more for pleasure than investment. Are collectors of these happy with them, or sorry they even started it? I’d really like to hear from anyone who is collecting these.

Comments

• Options
    drfishdrfish Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭

I really like my collection -mostly silver overstrikes, KOTCT medals and silver medals that feature wildlife . The majority seem to hold their value-especially if purchased straight from Moonlight Mint. A few have shot up in resale value (like Bust Half and 64d Peace dollars). I also prefer them in flips but have gotten a few in slabs off eBay or forum members.

• Options
    PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dan makes a variety of items that many collectors find fun to collect. Great designs that are affordable for most collectors. I certainly enjoy the coins that I have purchased and intend to keep collecting. I have no intention of acquiring a complete run of what Dan has produced but will continue to pick and choose those items that I find to be of interest.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love everyone that I have ever bought. They just keep getting better with each issue. The 2019 broken sword Peace Dollar has the most incredible high relief strike and detail. It is amazing.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with all above but can't press the button . I have a few in flips, all silver and one copper plus one Silver and gilt masonic by dc in an airtite. I don't plan on grading any as It's a raw collection that I most enjoy and occasionally I remove them for the fun of it. These are an art form to me. I cant imagine selling any in the foreseeable future and there is one dupe and probably more to come as well. Have you had some in hand?

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:
    I love everyone that I have ever bought. They just keep getting better with each issue. The 2019 broken sword Peace Dollar has the most incredible high relief strike and detail. It is amazing.

im happy with mine as well

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Downtown1974 - Have you considered joining KOTCT? (Knights Of The Coin Table) kotct2017.knightsofthecointable.com/index.php
    The 2019 Medallion Quest will be starting soon. A great way to join other Carr enthusiasts and get the 2019 club "coins" made by Dan at issue prices.
    Check out the 2018 medals in this thread. They were all well done in several sizes, finishes and metals. kotct2017.knightsofthecointable.com/index.php?board=113.0

• Options
    TradesWithChopsTradesWithChops Posts: 640 ✭✭✭✭

@Kudbegud said:
    @Downtown1974 - Have you considered joining KOTCT? (Knights Of The Coin Table) kotct2017.knightsofthecointable.com/index.php
    The 2019 Medallion Quest will be starting soon. A great way to join other Carr enthusiasts and get the 2019 club "coins" made by Dan at issue prices.
    Check out the 2018 medals in this thread. They were all well done in several sizes, finishes and metals. kotct2017.knightsofthecointable.com/index.php?board=113.0

bad links. those links are for members only.

Minor Variety Trade dollar's with chop marks set:
    More Than It's Chopped Up To Be

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have my share of DC products and will buy more at some point I am sure. At one time I thought I would try to maintain a complete collection but I soon gave up on that as it is entirely unrealistic. There are too many varieties with tiny mintages, and too many issues that sell out before you even know they are available. This got extremely frustrating and I gave up, which did save me a ton of money that I otherwise would have sent to DC.

Unless you have unlimited resources, I would recommend buying what you like with a goal of building a sort of type collection. Or, focus on one series and try to build a complete set over time.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

His medals are probably some of the most interesting and/or controversial issued in many, many years. They have a collector base, which is unusual for post-1960 medal issues. Collect the issues you personally like and don't worry about the issues that don't appeal to you.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    MattTheRileyMattTheRiley Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 8, 2019 3:38PM

I've got an extra copper and brass 2018 KOTCT medals available if you are interested.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TradesWithChops said:

@Kudbegud said:

bad links. those links are for members only.

I'm really sorry. Here is a link from a browser I have not used for the web site before.
    kotct2017.knightsofthecointable.com/index.php?action=register

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

A couple of things that will help:

ANACS only started grading MS70 to keep up with the Joneses (ICG). Don't bother paying a premium for 70s.

The only series that I have seen that have retained a devoted following are the overstruck coins.
    Just get what you want from Moonlight Mint, or be patient and watch ebay .
    Both ANACS and ICG with encase them, which is a way to protect them and let future buyers know what if any issues the coin/token might have.
    Good luck and have fun!

thefinn
  • Options

@thefinn said:
    A couple of things that will help:

ANACS only started grading MS70 to keep up with the Joneses (ICG). Don't bother paying a premium for 70s.

The only series that I have seen that have retained a devoted following are the overstruck coins.
    Just get what you want from Moonlight Mint, or be patient and watch ebay .
    Both ANACS and ICG with encase them, which is a way to protect them and let future buyers know what if any issues the coin/token might have.
    Good luck and have fun!

Last I heard ANACS only gives the MS70 grade to medals that deserve it.

They won't grade any overstruck as MS70. Has that changed?

BTW, MS70's do bring nice premiums.

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:

Last I heard ANACS only gives the MS70 grade to medals that deserve it.

They won't grade any overstruck as MS70. Has that changed?

BTW, MS70's do bring nice premiums.

I am going to have to agree with you GA. I am going to take it one step further and that maybe Dan has been making some superior coins! In other words Dan is in his groove! :D

• Options

Thanks for all of the input folks. The linked sites are very informative. Looks like I have some research to do. I will start buying ones that appeal to me and are within my budget. I can honestly say....there aren’t many that I dislike other than the bars. I’ve had a few offers from fellow members who are willing to help me start my collection and for that, I’m grateful. Thanks for your time and the pictures. Some amazing collections to see.

• Options
    ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have about 50-60 of his pieces and love them all. You may find some items very hard to find for resale.

• Options

@ACop said:
    I have about 50-60 of his pieces and love them all. You may find some items very hard to find for resale.

Yea, I searched eBay and was surprised to see there is not a lot of ungraded issues for sale.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a few Dan Carr pieces... I really like his work. I likely will get more.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

@GRANDAM said:
    I received grades on my latest Dan Carr submission:
    9 coins:
    MS68 - 1
    MS69 - 3
    MS70 - 5 :#

Medals, not "coins".

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@291fifth said:

@GRANDAM said:
    9 coins:
    MS68 - 1
    MS69 - 3

Medals, not "coins".

Actually only (2) pcs of this order are coins,,,,,, the rest are Medals. ;)

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Downtown1974 said:

@ACop said:

Yea, I searched eBay and was surprised to see there is not a lot of ungraded issues for sale.

You can always buy a nice graded medal that you like and crack that baby out.... B)
    Buy you some flips and you're good to go.

• Options
    jabbajabba Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dan has a listing of fakes posted on his website. They are quite badly done and anyone who has examined his work will easily ID. I wouldn't hesitate buying them raw from reputable sellers.

http://www.moonlightmint.com/fakes.htm

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool stuff in this thread.

• Options

@GRANDAM said:

@291fifth said:

@GRANDAM said:
    9 coins:
    MS68 - 1
    MS69 - 3

Medals, not "coins".

Actually only (2) pcs of this order are coins,,,,,, the rest are Medals. ;)

When does an overstruck coin stop being a coin? I don't think this question has ever been answered but it could be of great importance regarding some of the Moonlight Mint issues.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve got a couple of his silver dollars. My interest in Moonlight Mint parallels my main collecting interests.

• Options

@291fifth said:
    When does an overstruck coin stop being a coin? I don't think this question has ever been answered but it could be of great importance regarding some of the Moonlight Mint issues.

I don't believe an overstrike ever stops being a coin. That is the whole point of using real US Coins as the blanks. It is simply moving the metal around and keeps the govt off your back for "re-shaping" them.

• Options

Cool B)B)B)

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree that Dan has hit his stride and his work is top-notch.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

i have a set of his half eagles; one from every year since 2013. they are great!

• Options

Best of luck. It's a fun addiction.

J

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭✭✭

You're off to a great start !! :)

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought a private collection about 6 or 7 years ago that caught me up to speed and made my DC complete at the time. I then bought 2 and 3 of everything for a few years. Now I find it hard to keep up and I miss some issues. Let me know if I can help you jump start your collection from my back stock

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:
    I bought a private collection about 6 or 7 years ago that caught me up to speed and made my DC complete at the time. I then bought 2 and 3 of everything for a few years. Now I find it hard to keep up and I miss some issues. Let me know if I can help you jump start your collection from my back stock

m

Thank you Mark! That’s very kind of you. I will be in touch.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great start!

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's a silver hologram variety of the eclipse too.... I may know where to find one ;)

• Options

@jwitten said:
    There's a silver hologram variety of the eclipse too.... I may know where to find one ;)

Is that the 40mm round?

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Downtown1974 said:

@jwitten said:

Is that the 40mm round?

Yes, it was the more expensive and rarer version.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like his work as well and will get more as time goes on. best wishes

• Options

Careful Bob,
    There's a carranon chapter around here. Welcome to the club.

• Options

@GRANDAM

Haha... It seems like a lot to pick up right out of the gate, but it won’t be long before this trend comes to a screeching halt. It’s going to get tough once you guys run out of duplicates to sell me.

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Downtown1974 said:
    Some new pieces that arrived last week.

2018 Year of the Dog set. Copper, Brass and Silver tokens.

>

2017 Solar Eclipse Copper, Brass and Silver medals

BAM! Nice job!

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file