Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Proof Apollo 11 silver dollar with a couple die cracks. Better pics added

gummibeargummibear Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
edited March 16, 2019 3:47PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I found some more cracking going down the lander's legs and on the suit.
I also took pictures of the one I have that doesn't have the cracks to compare. Hopefully these pictures make it clearer.
Hello, Has anybody else found a die crack on their proof Apollo 11 dollars? Would love to see if the cracks got bigger on other coins.
It is mostly on the lander but just makes it in to the field. I have the same crack on four dollars. I spotted a second crack and added a couple pics of two separate coins.

Comments

• Options
    LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭✭✭

None of mine do. That's pretty neat though, congrats on the find.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gummibear

That is neat, but... looking above the “crack” appears to wavy lines projecting outward (left) of the lunar module.

Wish the pic was clearer but if all three are are connected then I am leaning more to a strike through wire/something (or a larger crack).

Then again it could just be lint on the capsule.

For comparison, Coin Facts:

• Options
    MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:
    @gummibear

That is neat, but... looking above the “crack” appears to wavy lines projecting outward (left) of the lunar module.

Wish the pic was clearer but if all three are are connected then I am leaning more to a strike through wire/something (or a larger crack).

Then again it could just be lint on the capsule.

For comparison, Coin Facts:

If he has 4 that are the same that would rule out lint on the capsule.

image Respectfully, Mark
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well that is a strange place for a die crack... could be a high point issue... and four coins with the same issue...obviously not a fluke... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 11, 2019 12:10PM

@gummibear said:
    Hello, Has anybody else found a die crack on their proof Apollo 11 dollars?

Awesome Art Richard! That first one, I could not tell it was paint until I looked closer at the headlights. Impressive skill! (From signature link)

• Options

Here are a couple more pics of two of the coins. I actually spotted another faint crack as well.

• Options

@Aspie_Rocco said:

@gummibear said:
    Hello, Has anybody else found a die crack on their proof Apollo 11 dollars?

Awesome Art Richard! That first one, I could not tell it was paint until I looked closer at the headlights. Impressive skill! (From signature link)

Thanks Aspie, Did you see my latest of two AC Cobras? I am really happy with that one.
    Were you able to go through my art site easily? The software updated and I don't think it is as obvious how to find all the different pages. There are three lines in the upper right that lead to other menus. To me it isn't as obvious as I would like.

• Options

@gummibear said:
    Here are a couple more pics of two of the coins. I actually spotted another faint crack as well.

Very interesting! There should be more of these out there. Can you post some of your pics in the other Apollo thread, to see if anyone else has these anomalies.

• Options

I added some better pics to the original post.

• Options
    edited March 16, 2019 6:57PM

@gummibear said:
    I added some better pics to the original post.

That is extensive cracking. There should be others with similar cracking; unless the die was replaced right after your coin.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good eye.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@gummibear Found an article, Coin World, about the die cracks on the lander. Possibly your coin was one of the “firsts” before the problem was discovered and then fixed.

Short snip:

“Harrigal said design and engraving personnel were challenged to get the curvature correct on the 3-inch coin so that the dies would fit properly on the 1,000-ton-capacity press. The curvature is referred to as a “compound curve” as it required multiple variables to define.

Initially, there were problems with proper metal flow filling the relief, Harrigal said. There were specific fill problems at the astronaut’s hands, the American flag and lunar lander, he said.

Die cracks appeared along the legs of the lunar lander Harrigal said. Relief specifications were adjusted to eliminate the die fill problems and cracking.

Some of the problems were more pronounced when using the traditional 90 percent silver blanks, but were easily corrected with the softer .999 fine silver blanks, which allowed for smoother metal flow.”

Full article link:

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/2018/12/us-mint-details-apollo-11-coin-production-challenges.all.html

• Options

Thought it would be nice to bring this discussion back on the 50th anniversary of landing on the moon. So, has anyone else found a dollar with similar die cracks yet?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file