Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

$6500 to spend on a single card

Typically I add about $2000 to my PC each year in the form of 2 - 5 graded HOFers. This year I will be able to bump it up and am determined to buy just a single big card. I have it narrowed down to 3 options:

1. Goudey Ruth PSA 5
  2. Leaf Robinson PSA 5
  3. Topps Jim Brown psa 8 (i have a psa 7 to help get that deal done)

I previously had a psa 4.5 Ruth, and an SGC 80 Robinson, that I regret selling.

From a strictly best likelihood to appreciate in market value, point of view, which one would you go for?

If you can think of another card fitting that range you would choose over those 3, feel free to suggest.

Thanks, Tom

Comments

• slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

What is your time horizon in terms of holding? Would you want to come in and out of cards or are you looking to hold for decades?

Steve
  • akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭

PM sent with a suggestion

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lightningboy said:
    Typically I add about $2000 to my PC each year in the form of 2 - 5 graded HOFers. This year I will be able to bump it up and am determined to buy just a single big card. I have it narrowed down to 3 options:

1. Goudey Ruth PSA 5
    2. Leaf Robinson PSA 5
    3. Topps Jim Brown psa 8 (i have a psa 7 to help get that deal done)

I previously had a psa 4.5 Ruth, and an SGC 80 Robinson, that I regret selling.

From a strictly best likelihood to appreciate in market value, point of view, which one would you go for?

If you can think of another card fitting that range you would choose over those 3, feel free to suggest.

Thanks, Tom

Tom,

First, your choices are already excellent and in my opinion properly ordered. Since the card is for you, and you seem strongly attached to your first two choices and have a PSA 7 Brown rookie already (sweet), I would try to decide between the first two with maybe a lean toward Ruth because 1933 Goudey seems to be the more popular and enduring set. I don’t see that changing so when you consider that, I think the value of the similarly priced card in the more collectible set bodes better for its appreciation.

As for the ‘other suggestions’ part, I would say these cards also fall into ‘safer bet’ category and rather than specify the grades I’ll just say best grade you could afford:

1. A 1953-1969 Mickey Mantle ‘Base Card’ from the Topps era, to me, is always the best way to go. His appeal as a sports AND cardboard icon isn’t changing. Ever. Since Topps is the brand that goes from 1952-present, there will be Topps collectors for a long time. Mantle’s in 7-8-9 continue to do really well. Investors, Mickey’s fans and set builders will keep these items in demand as long as people collect cards.

2. T206 is not my cup of tea but also cannot be ignored. For many, this set is the alpha and the omega. While I don’t collect the set, it’s hard to ignore and even harder for one not to appreciate (both aesthetically and financially). The Ty Cobb, Red Background specifically, seems to be the non Maglie/Plank/Wagner card from the set that causes the most excitement, comes up pretty often and has been on an upward trend since forever.

3. I don’t do too much of the modern stuff. I’m not a hater of it and I have some limited Yankees items but I do think that you could consider banging out a few ‘modern classics’, too, and still get a banging vintage item to boot. You’d have to ask around but I know the 2011 Topps Update Trout items, the 2003-04 LeBron James items and 2000 Tom Brady items would seem to be pretty worthy of consideration. If you could bang out Trout and LeBron in 10 on a budget of 1500 (likely) then you’d still have $5k on a vintage Ruth or Jackie.

Hope it helps...

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

The Micks 51 Bowman can be had for that price psa 3 or 4

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

4 one could not get for $6500 for a Mick rookie. Cheapest is around 7K and those examples in that price range likely are out of focus, print issues and O/C

• lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

slum22 Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭ March 8, 2019 12:43AM
    What is your time horizon in terms of holding? Would you want to come in and out of cards or are you looking to hold for decades?

This is much longer (10+ years). Handing down to kids, long

__PADIdiver Posts: 77 ✭ March 8, 2019 10:30AM
    @lightningboy said:
    slum22 Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭ March 8, 2019 12:43AM

This is much longer (10+ years). Handing down to kids, long

Are you looking to adopt at all?? :smile:_

A. Do you mind doing some yard work
    B. Are you ok with Led Zeppelin playing throughout the day
    C. You would need to figure out your football team allegiance

Then we can talk.

fiveniner Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭ March 8, 2019 7:57AM
    The Micks 51 Bowman can be had for that price psa 3 or 4

I do currently have he Bowman as a PSA 5. But I do agree anything regular issue Mantle is about as solid and safe as it gets.

• emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

I agree with the t206 Cobb. I can see the centered red portrait common back PSA 5's headed to $10k in a couple years.
    I bought mine (Polar Bear) in 2011 and couldn't be more proud of it.

• addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

+1 on the Cobb

• 45isodd45isodd Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    edited March 8, 2019 1:27PM

I would buy a Tom Seaver rookie card in PSA 9. With the news of his illness, a new appreciation for his greatness will emerge, and rightfully so.

• akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭

I’ve been tracking the data on sales of popular Clemente, Aaron, Mickey Mantle, Goudey Ruth and t206 cobbs. They have certainly increased significantly over the last several years. So it’s kind of an inflated bubble that cannot be sustainable I’m afraid. But there are gems that have held similar value without the bubble affect. I think these might be safer plays.

Would you rather have a card that used to sell for $1,000 in 2010 and buy it for $4,000 today?
    Or a card that sold for $3,500 in 2010 and sells for $4,000 today?

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

The nicest graded 1951 Bowman Willie Mays.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one went for right around that amount.

Mike
  • handymanhandyman Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭✭✭

Honestly from the 3 listed I would go with a nice Jim Brown. FB has always been undervalued and this card is key.
    1958 Topps PSA 8 Jim Brown

• ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

1984 Star 101 Jordan.

I wouldn't touch the Cobbs as they've already exploded. Why buy in after that?

One of the 9.5 Jordans will sell at some point and when it does it will be for an absurd amount of money and rising tides and boats and stuff like that. Plus, what's more bullet proof in this modern global market than a Jordan rookie?

Arthur

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ruth

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

So far, all great suggestions/confirmations. The Star Jordan is one I didn't think of. I actually had one back in '99 graded a CSA 7. Not sure anyone else graded it at that time. Sold it for $1300 on Ebay.

• Do you collect hockey? I'd recommend the 79 OPC Gretzky PSA 8 rookie if you collect all four sports and haven't added a Gretzky rookie to your collection yet.

• LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

@moonlightgraham said:
    Do you collect hockey? I'd recommend the 79 OPC Gretzky PSA 8 rookie if you collect all four sports and haven't added a Gretzky rookie to your collection yet.

I’ll offer an alternative for Gretzky. Find the right PSA 9 79 Topps Gretzky. Will be right around your budget. Find one with perfect centering and corners. When you sell consign to PWCC and you’ll have a shot at the HE designation. Those already have sold for $10k +. Even with out it strong copies have pushed $9k.

Kevin

• aconteaconte Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭

Ruth

• Time4aGansettTime4aGansett Posts: 382 ✭✭✭

Ruth, quite honestly by a mile.

• addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 12, 2019 6:31AM

Pete Maravich is gonna have a move made about his life. When it comes out I bet his cards shoot up in value. Just a thought.

Do you collect hockey? I'd recommend the 79 OPC Gretzky PSA 8 rookie if you collect all four sports and haven't added a Gretzky rookie to your collection yet.

My entire hockey collection consists of 1 card - 79 Topps Gretzky BVG 8.5

• TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

My entire hockey collection consists of 1 card - 79 Topps Gretzky BVG 8.5

Add the nicest centered Bobby Orr RC and you will see your investment go nowhere but up.