Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

what is up with this 2017 Palladium Eagle?

other side looks perfect.

Hi,

Any opinions on this 2017 Palladium Eagle would be appreciated, especially regarding the rim damage. It came from Apmex as a BU coin when they were first released, spot +149. They offered a full refund but no exchange, saying they were completely out of stock.

Opinions at my local coin store vary. "OH... that is terrible. You'd be lucky to get spot for that!", from the witch and troglodyte at front desk. Handed to a more experienced chap who examined under magnification, he said perhaps "fabric" got embedded during the striking process. He thought he could see some debris in the defect and suggested carefully cleaning it, and an outside chance it would be a graded as a mint error.

Of course, I did not clean it.

What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 10, 2019 8:23AM

Welcome hardbitten,

If it is some kind of strike thru it will grade. From your photos it looks like something on the coin. Sometimes photos play tricks. You have taken good photos but the first one is at an angle with good light, the others that are straight on are better but the blue background is messing with the look. Can you get more straight on shots without the blue background?

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it fiber type of struck thru?

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maiden China? Rgds

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forums @hardbitten

As @ifthevamzarockin stated need to get better pics. Please retake pics with a neutral (white or black) background. Palladium is a silvery color. Also please orient the coin and crop the pic.

It will be interesting to see if it is a strike through.

Coin Facts

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:
    Maiden China? Rgds

LOL ! :D Be nice :)

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

These were known to have flaky rims. I had one that a piece fell off while I was examining it. I sent her in to pcgs anyways, and I still got a 70! There are several trueviews out there of similar examples.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hardbitten.... Welcome aboard.... Take some straight on, magnified photographs (and allow magnification on the forum)... The picture looks like damage, however, it could be a strike through...just cannot tell from those pictures... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd like to help, but the photos are
    not close up enough to determine
    exactly what it is on the rim.

Post some closer photos, and I'll
    try to see what it might be.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options

She's back in circulation. The opinions that is was likely a flaky rim not a mint error led me to sell to JMB as a 'Random year, varied condition' for $2713 and a $1650 profit. Maiden America!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file