Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Unplated Penny Value

Hi yall!

I recently came across a pretty nice unplated 1990 penny. As you can see in the pics it's in okay condition and I was wondering all of your thought on a grade/value that you would give this. There isn't that much info on the web about specifics of how rare these coins are, so i'm not really sure about it.

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Value = one cent

Welcome to the forums @Fantasian!

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it's that 'grey', it's been de-plated,
    after the coin was already in circulation.

Because I can't tell the true color of the coin,
    It's also possible that the copper plating is there,
    but just 'environmentally damaged' on the surfaces.

In either case, it is not an unplated planchet error at all, sorry to say.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 6, 2019 4:17PM

@Fantasian said:
    Hi yall!

As you can see in the pics it's in okay condition.

So they say “ Beauty is in the eye 👁 of the beholder”. Because there is no way I could call that in Okay condition. That is why I bring up that saying and I shall leave it at that! Have a great day and welcome to the board and don’t stop looking.
    So I dumped some loose change on the table and this penny is what I would call in ok condition just out of the blue for you.

And BACK to where it belongs to be used for what ever I want. B)

• Options
    Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:

@Fantasian said:
    Hi yall!

So they say “ Beauty is in the eye 👁 of the beholder”. Because there is no way I could call that in Okay condition. That is why I bring up that saying and I shall leave it at that! Have a great day and welcome to the board and don’t stop looking.
    So I dumped some loose change on the table and this penny is what I would call in ok condition just out of the blue for you.

And BACK to where it belongs to be used for what ever I want. B)

I know I’m a coin nerd whenever I inspect images of loose change to see if there is anything interesting all I see is a Canadian dime.

• Options

@Gluggo said:

@Fantasian said:
    Hi yall!

You missed the very rare “penny-stuck-on-quarter-planchett” ;)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Fantasian... Welcome aboard.... your coin is either environmentally damaged or de-plated by some huckster... Cheers, RickO

• Options

Thanks for all of the tips! I thought it was real, but guess it's not. Still pretty cool though.

• Options

@Fantasian said:
    Thanks for all of the tips! I thought it was real, but guess it's not. Still pretty cool though.

It is real and worth 1C. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file