Home U.S. Coin Forum

Buried Gold Coins

BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just got done reading the book "Stickey Fingers", a book about Jann Wenner, creator of Rolling Stone magazine. In one chapter it was mentioned that $25,000 in gold coins were unearthed on his farm. No other details in the book. So Googled it and it led to an interesting read. Thought it would be of interest here. 96 coins in a buried Mason jar supposedly by the owner of a bordello which long ago was located on his farm land in Idaho. Has anyone else here aware of this story? I Googled "Jann Wenner gold coins discovered on his farm" to read various accounts of the find.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Comments

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting, I'll read it, thanks for the post !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • MizzouMizzou Posts: 506 ✭✭✭✭

That's why people enjoy metal detecting...you never know.

Sometimes I think that animals are smarter than humans, animals would never allow the dumbest one to lead the pack

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the information. I had not heard of this one.... I love buried treasure stories....Never outgrew that fantasy. Cheers, RickO

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

When gold comes in the front door common sense goes out the back.
    A dumb and dumber movie to follow

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

I heard of a good gold story.

In summary in the So. Cal. desert two men found some gold coins on federal lands. They took possession of same. One of the men told others in the local small town about it. The story was reported in the small town paper. Other papers reran the story and it eventually was publicized in national papers. One such story was read by a civil servant back in D.C. who got the ball rolling by bringing the story to the attention of higher ups. Eventually the US Attorney's Office in So. Cal. got involved. Legal proceedings were initiated against the two men who found the gold coins to recover the coins (since they were found of federal land they belonged to the feds). The men had the gold coins taken from them by uncle sam.

The one guy should have kept his mouth shut.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have tried to keep that a little more quiet. I wouldn't want any visits from the taxman

• Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

there is a saying, "two people can keep a secret if one is dead." crazy story though!

• Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Peace_dollar88 said:
    there is a saying, "two people can keep a secret if one is dead." crazy story though!

@3keepSECRETif2rDEAD

• AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

I herd frum a friend that Jesse James buried gold, lots of gold, somewhere in Oklahoma. A guy sold me a map a couple years ago and one day I'm gone looking. ;)

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The motto of cache hunters (metal detectors that look for treasure caches) is "Tell no one!!" If word gets out, claims will come from all over.... Never, never, ever say a word about major finds. B) Cheers, RickO

• RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

When the family brought me the Saddle Ridge material, this was one of the situations we looked at very carefully.

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my first shop, a termite inspector came in. He had....SOME.... of the jar of gold coins he found when probing a dirt wall basement.
    I don't think he noted it on his report. :D

• yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

There needs to be a thread on the documented hoard discoveries. Small and large...

I am not shocked, nor do I doubt many more will be found.

Three hundred years... Two major continental wars, mistrust of banks, mistrust of government, mistrust of the king, border wars, Indian wars. That is just east of the Mississippi!

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AlexinPA said:

A guy sold me a map a couple years ago
    There's money in them there maps!!!!! I should make more maps!

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oak Island will make all these others trivial.

;)

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am still looking to find and buy an old bank building that has a hidden vault filled with Srooge McDuck's diving board and pool filled with gold coins. :)

If I am successful, no one will ever know.

• WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2024 10:16PM

From B. Traven's book The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, published in 1935:

Anyway, gold is a very devilish sort of a thing, believe me, boys. In the first place, it changes your character entirely. When you have it your soul is no longer the same as it was before. No getting away from that. You may have so much piled up that you can't carry it away; but, bet your blessed paradise, the more you have, the more you want to add, to make it just that much more.

Men, Christians and Jews alike, are so greedy or brave where gold is at stake that, regardless how many human beings it may cost, as long as the gold itself does not give out and disappear, they will risk life, health, and mind, and face every danger and risk conceivable, to get hold of the precious metal.

Not dirty, baby. No, not dirty. Only I know whom I am sitting here with by the fire and what sort of ideas even supposedly decent people can get into their heads when gold is at stake.

A scene from the 1948 film "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre"

The film ends rather badly for Humphrey Bogart.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• ADGADG Posts: 436 ✭✭✭

B. Traven - his identity still an enigma.
    http://j-nelson.net/2014/10/twenty-writers-b-traven-the-treasure-of-the-sierra-madre/

You can read his words, and still hear Walter Huston paraphrase them in the movie. John Huston planned the movie around his father, and he got an Academy award. Tim Holt (the other guy in the photo) was in several excellent films, but basically followed the steps of his father, Jack Holt, with a long career in second tier westerns.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ADG said:
    http://j-nelson.net/2014/10/twenty-writers-b-traven-the-treasure-of-the-sierra-madre/

You can read his words, and still hear Walter Huston paraphrase them in the movie. John Huston planned the movie around his father, and he got an Academy award. Tim Holt (the other guy in the photo) was in several excellent films, but basically followed the steps of his father, Jack Holt, with a long career in second tier westerns.

A very young Robert 'Baretta" Blake was in the movie as well. Was a child actor at the time.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Yes. Blake sold Bogart part of the winning lottery ticket. Who knew he would murder his wife decades later?!

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

• CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭✭✭

Moral of the story:

1) Never go into business with a partner if you can go it alone
    2) The lawyers always win in the end

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CommemDude said:
    Moral of the story:

1) Never go into business with a partner if you can go it alone
    2) The lawyers always win in the end

Very much agree with 2.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 32,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ADG said:

Fantastic piece on Traven and "Treasure!"

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

John Huston's autobiography- "An Open Book" - has a bit on B. Traven. Still no definitive answer though. A mystery wrapped within an enigma.

Do your part, America 💉😷

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file