Home Precious Metals
Options

Silver Market

2»

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HJP717 said:
    What makes the Silver market so volatile?

People.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leveraged bets on imaginary stockpiles of silver that can't be verified.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:

@HJP717 said:

People.

silver is the poor man's gold. it makes larger percent moves when gold actually moves. the responsible party here is the people.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2019 6:10AM

It looks like premiums on silver bullion have steepened. 7% over spot for $500 in 90% silver quarters at Apmex.

+30% over spot for new ASEs, even worse for Libertads.

Is anyone else tracking this? What are you seeing in your neck of the woods?

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2019 8:27AM

@jmski52 said:
    It looks like premiums on silver bullion have steepened. 7% over spot for $500 in 90% silver quarters at Apmex.

+30% over spot for new ASEs, even worse for Libertads.

Is anyone else tracking this? What are you seeing in your neck of the woods?

Is it "Premium", or is it Spread?

Are regular walk-in folks getting that much more than spot now when selling to dealers? Or on ebay?

Or are said dealers just charging more to help cover overhead expenses, due to stagnant silver market? It wouldn't have mattered as much when silver used to go up, instead of stay at $15 plus or minus a couple bucks like it does for the past several years.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

Premium over spot, not spread. I didn't look into their offer prices so I didn't think about the spreads. The last time I remember 90% silver being over 7% premium was...…..well, I don't remember when.

I'll come back with the spreads when I get a chance.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ADG said:
    "I said "unique." I did not say exclusive" ????????

From Merriam-Webster definition:

Definition of unique

1 : being the only one : sole his unique concern was his own comfort I can't walk away with a unique copy. Suppose I lost it?— Kingsley Amis the unique factorization of a number into prime factors
    2a : being without a like or equal : unequaled could stare at the flames, each one new, violent, unique— Robert Coover
    b : distinctively characteristic : peculiar sense 1 this is not a condition unique to California— Ronald Reagan
    c : able to be distinguished from all others of its class or type : distinct sense 1 You will see an assortment of digital tags that let the Web site identify your computer as a unique visitor.

----- kj
  • Options

LOL

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2019 12:12PM

Looks like producers trying to keep the price elevated. Smart business.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    edited March 22, 2019 7:35PM

@cohodk said:

Control supply, control (manipulate) price? LOL

So, price can be manipulated by controlling supply of the physical metal, but it can't be manipulated by controlling the supply of the futures paper contracts which actually set the price? Maybe the physical producers are trying to counter the futures contracts. Or, maybe cost of physical production is not currently supported by prices.

Burger King is hiring.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2019 6:48PM

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

Control supply, control (manipulate) price? LOL

So, price can be manipulated by controlling supply of the physical metal, but it can't be manipulated by controlling the supply of the futures paper contracts which actually set the price? Maybe the physical producers are trying to counter the sellers of futures contracts. Or, maybe cost of physical production is not currently supported by prices.

Burger King is hiring.

Or maybe you're just fishing. Keep on trolling.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 27, 2019 1:39PM

Years ago, I read a prospectus on GLD or SLV (cannot remember)

The bank was the "trustee" for ETF's physical PM.

In the event of a liquidation as a shareholder, I determined it wasn't my gold but trust companies PM's.

At least it was my determination that it was nothing but a different kind of paper.

The SLV/GLD market cap is basically a small to midcap company in terms of market cap.

It only has a couple of market makers.

A bug on the windshield in the big scheme of things.

It could be said that means it's undervalued.

If I were stacking PM's, I might use a portion of funds in ETF's for if I had a mind to take profits. Easy for the sell side. One click... flip... no hassle... sold

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options

If I were stacking PM's, I might use a portion of funds in ETF's for if I had a mind to take profits. Easy for the sell side. One click... flip... no hassle... sold

I would surmise that that is part of the design plan in the world of ETFs. Churn, baby, churn.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    EdtheloraxEdthelorax Posts: 229 ✭✭✭

Silver is a tiny market relative to most commodities. It has the highest short market of any commodity. The majority of mine production silver is a bi-product. This makes supply very inelastic.
    Demand has an inverse demand curve, where the higher the price, the MORE demand there is.
    These cause sharp rises.
    It is only with paper that metal that is not owned, can be sold in whatever quantity needed to reverse the price to a point where it reduces demand. This has been done intentionally, while those causing lower prices buy the physical. Using the losses of those trying to use those markets as indented. (silver longs)
    These cause sharp drops.
    Gold and Silver are two of the very few things that fiat can be valued against. Fiat only satisfies 2 of the 3 requirements for being money. The deception that it counts as a store of value is threatened by PM's. It isn't a true store of value because it is continually and infinitely inflated. Those creating the fiat do not want the public to truly be aware that a USDollar isn't actual money. The real value is in it's utility. That being the case, cryptocurrency is a much faster and more secure method than fiat. It is imperative to those that have profited and want to continue profiting from this farce of value because, "We can tax and We have an army," that anything that competes with their product (USD) must be suppressed at any cost. Using the fiat they create out of nothing to do it of course.
    What makes this criminal is that a select few are allowed to break any rules and if caught, made to pay only a fraction of their profits from the endeavor. While almost every other would be jailed and stripped of their wealth, not merely their gains for the exact same things. (Hunt Brothers)
    This has been going on or so long that there is no way out of the corner that the public has been convinced to paint themselves into.

http://www.silverstocker.com
    Anyone can PM me Any Time about Any thing.