Home Sports Talk
Options

Not in the HOF starting lineup. New lineup announced.

2»

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeutscherGeist said:
    You can have a 5 man rotation, so consider putting in Brown or someone else. I also noticed no closer or set up person. Perhaps you can put in Billy Wagner and then select another closer to complete this roster.

Wagner is as good as any. I just couldn't get interested in relievers for some reason. Rivera seems to be considered by many to be the goat. John Hiller and Goose Gossage might make my team as guys who could give you more than just the 9th inning.

@Justacommeman said:
    Lou Whitaker was better then Davey Lopes

m

Lou had a longer career and more power. Actually MUCH longer career. I originally had Lou as the front runner along with Bobby Grich. If I was going to take the best "hitter" Grich was a little better than Lou and won a few GG's (as Lou did), so I think I would take Grich over Lou.

Then I looked at what Lopes did on the basepaths and figured my second baseman wasn't going to be a big hitter in any event, so I went with Davey because of his stolen bases. He averaged (162 games) 50 with only 10 times being caught.

A similar thought process went on in picking Cesar Cedeno over Fred Lynn or Dale Murphy. While I was giving up a LITTLE hitting ability, putting Lopes and Cedeno at the first two spots in the batting order is going to REALLY put pressure on the mythical opponent.

I actually thought Cedeno was a great pick, I had heard of him, but didn't realize how good he was! Cesar couldn't maintain his stats as well for the last 1/3 of his career, but he was a multiple GG winner, great doubles hitter, great speed (did get caught stealing a bit more than I would have liked) lacking a bit in HR, but I figured as the CF his speed and defense were key.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kevin brown was a beast for 6 or 7 years. Also was the first $100 million man.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fun fact: every position player mentioned in this thread was better than Jim Rice.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dallasactuary said:
    Fun fact: every position player mentioned in this thread was better than Jim Rice.

Oh, I don't know. You could make a case that Rice was better than Grace, Fernandez, or Lopes.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

@daltex said:

@dallasactuary said:

Oh, I don't know. You could make a case that Rice was better than Grace, Fernandez, or Lopes.

Dallas has an enduring hatred for Mr. Rice.

My go to guy is Reggie Jackson.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set