Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone believe this??

erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

So here is the scenario. An old lady walks in to a local "Sell Gold Here" place and simply wanted an appraisal of the collection her father put together a long time ago. The store owner reports that she pulls out two tubes of St. Gaudens and a tube of Coronet DE that he suspected hadn't been opened in a VERY long time. Additionally, she had mint bags of Walkers and Quarters. She only wants an estimate of their worth and he gives his opinion. He mentioned that the coins looked great! I know the buy person and he was telling the story. I have no reason to not believe him, but its crazy to think that a little ol' lady has a hoard of double eagles lying around in my area!! Any dealers have similar situations? Could the coins be real?

Comments

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

it could be real but I would be real careful on would I read or heard. jmo

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

May be a bit of embellishment, but I don’t see why it couldn’t be true. Sounds like the stash from a hoarder/stacker from the 1930’s.

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

As soon as we find out the Saint's were 1921's, the story will be complete.

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

The tube thing would make me suspicious, maybe if it was old paper wrappers. A jeweler friend of mine used to buy rolls of DEs and melt them for jewelry work. He said he bought them from little old ladies who didn't want any paperwork.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two tubes of St. Gaudens and both were 1933's :)

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have to see them.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

You would be surprise at what "little old ladies" have. We could have an entire thread of true stories that would blow your mind. Most of the stories I could tell were about women who either had coins handed down or their husband was the hoarder. One woman's husband (4 gem+ HR $20's) worked at the Treasury Dept. One woman walked into the shop with a roll of absolutely flawless and "skinned" 1928 Saints! LOL, dodo do do, dodo do do, dada da! The truth is out there. B)

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

DE= Double Eagle
    What is a DE?
    Besides Delaware I am unfamiliar with this term.
    Then I used google.
    Learning new things daily.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

The correct question is: Was the little old lady real? Ear-buds? Nope. Green hair? Nope. Wide-heal flats? Maybe. :)

There remain lots of small groups of US gold coins sitting about in unexpected places. Most apocryphal stories have a foundation in truth....somewhere.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mint bags? As in $1000 bags? Plural?
    That’s a lot of weight for a “little old lady!”

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe it because:

I live in a part of the country where there are older folks and they did stash stuff. That is how I've eventually ended up with hoards of large sized paper money, and gold coins.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

why not gold was $32 dollars an ounce once remember.................

• Options

I will remind you that the dealer did see the gold coins in question. Described taking the gold ones out individually and laying them out on his table carefully with gloves. That's 60 double eagles(DE)! He didn't take the silver coins out of the bags but just put them on the scale to weigh them as silver. I don't have much reason to doubt him, but it just blew me away!

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a sight to see!

• Options

@erwindoc said:
    I will remind you that the dealer did see the gold coins in question. Described taking the gold ones out individually and laying them out on his table carefully with gloves. That's 60 double eagles(DE)! He didn't take the silver coins out of the bags but just put them on the scale to weigh them as silver. I don't have much reason to doubt him, but it just blew me away!

• Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

If she had blue hair then you know it's true.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting but is there a next chapter? Was the dealer able to impress that she should consider submitting for an appraisal in anticipation of a sale? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are always those who doubt these stories,....and, certainly, there are many fabricated tales. That being said, there are also many, many real cases of collected treasures that only come to light after a death or late term financial need... Doubters will always doubt... meanwhile, treasures exist and do come to light. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many 'sell gold here' places offer 10-20% of value ... what did your friend say the $20 gold pieces were worth?

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe it's possible. The saddest thing is when the family has died out and the hoard is discovered and everyone except the owners gets to benefit from it.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would be more worried about the federal police storming your home looking for their stolen gold coins.

• Options

For silver coins you are referring to people born from 1935 or later to about 1950. For gold you have to go back a generation to about 1890 to 1910 and to a much thinner economic base capable of holding the coins, so present "little old ladies" are holding gold saved by great grandparents.

• Options

@Gluggo said:
    I would be more worried about the federal police storming your home looking for their stolen gold coins.

The USA does not have "Federal Police."

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's all believable except mint bags of quarters will be dated 1942 or later. Walkers will be '41 or later.

There're still a lot of raw coins out there but nobody is going to come up with scarce dates of classics in quantity any longer.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭

I don't know. This sounds as plausible to me as someone finding 1200 gold coins buried in some rusty old cans.

• Options
    IntueorIntueor Posts: 310 ✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

The total weight of the coins described is about 45 pounds of "dead weight".
    If you are familiar with the gym then you know that is the same weight as the largest "free weight" disk. If you ever lugged one of those up to the barbell then you know how heavy that can be.
    I would not mess with that "Old Lady" if I were you :#:#

unus multorum
  • Options

"...he discovers aunt Margaret was a millionaire owning a farm in Kansas," but the farm was blown to the Land of Oz where the barn landed on a 14 year old girl wearing red shoes.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wabbit2313 said:
    As soon as we find out the Saint's were 1921's, the story will be complete.

Or 1927-D or 1933. >:)

• Options

It's plausible, but many coin dealers and pawn dealers do tend to exaggerate.

• Options

Who would have thought another 1854-S gold $5 would turn up?

• Options

@shorecoll said:
    The tube thing would make me suspicious, maybe if it was old paper wrappers. A jeweler friend of mine used to buy rolls of DEs and melt them for jewelry work. He said he bought them from little old ladies who didn't want any paperwork.

Because that's not sketchy at all... How many of these little old ladies were thieves or conspirators in home invasions?

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 do these stories further support your conjecture that there is a lot of gold out there that will suppress numismatic gold values? Old ladies hoards combined with European imports? ;););):D

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Possible. But I need see it with my own eyes.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options

@Catbert said:
    @cameonut2011 do these stories further support your conjecture that there is a lot of gold out there that will suppress numismatic gold values? Old ladies hoards combined with European imports? ;););):D

You just wait until someone brings in a roll of 27-D Saints... >:):D

But seriously hoards have cause the value for some issues to fall like the 1909/8 Saints.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

John bought a home in 1962. He lived there for almost 40 years, he was married and raised a few kids. Much like all of us he had a funny little dislike or pet peeve. John hated pennies! When John finally passed the family went in to clean & remodel the home for sale. There was a cut or slit in the sheetrock right next to the phone on the wall. No one thought much of it, there were other nail holes and minor damage that would be just normal wear & tear. They needed to redo the kitchen floor, to do this you need to remove the base boards. When the base board was removed below the phone several pennies started falling out. Someone put 2 & 2 together and figured out the cut in the sheetrock was a coin slot. They opened up the wall around the coin slot and could see the wall was full of pennies. The wall studs were 16 inches apart and it was full up to about 5 feet high. The sheetrock had to be removed. There were no nickels, dimes or quarters, just pennies. All were preserved well within the wall and looked the same as the day he received them in change. Every day for 40 years when the phone would ring he would answer it and deposit his pennies in the wall.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Intueor said:

@CaptHenway said:

The total weight of the coins described is about 45 pounds of "dead weight".
    If you are familiar with the gym then you know that is the same weight as the largest "free weight" disk. If you ever lugged one of those up to the barbell then you know how heavy that can be.
    I would not mess with that "Old Lady" if I were you :#:#

A $1,000 bag of BU silver weighs 25 kilos or about 55 pounds, so the “mint bags” part of the story is implausible.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

I don't know if the bags were full or not. Either way, I still think its fun to sit an imagine this sweet ol' granny with her mini hoard of coins!

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry but it’s a true story. The farm was given to the folks who had been leasing the place for over 25 years as no one wanted to become farmers in Kansas. Most of the Saints were 1924 and I was given 5 which graded MS 62 and sold. The jewelry was divided up and still remains in the family. The cash also remained in the in laws estate. About half a roll of saints remain and are given out on family birthdays. The last given about 5 years ago when a niece had her 21st..

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen alot of hoards in my estate and craigslist haunts.

Damn near believe anyone can hoard anything... cats, albums, nascar, cards

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ever hear of this guy? Lived with his mother till she died and then he passed leaving about $7 million in gold behind with no instructions, will or immediate family. State of NV finally found a niece who ended up inheriting it.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess that’s why some have shops.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

@erwindoc said:
    I don't know if the bags were full or not. Either way, I still think its fun to sit an imagine this sweet ol' granny with her mini hoard of coins!

Might as well make it believable and say 6 mint bags. Granny was carrying 330 pounds of silver. She "pulled out" the tubes of gold, but she had to shuffle the mint bags around in her wheelbarrow first.

The only thing I am believing here is the "Fun to Imagine" part.

• Options
    wrightywrighty Posts: 837 ✭✭✭✭

If a woman with the Parmalee 1793 Strawberry Leaf Cent can walk into a jewelry / collectibles store in auburn Maine in 2004 having pulled the coin from a safe deposit box where it sat since 1941 than this is possible.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is this THBBFT means?

@Outhaul said:
    For sale: 200 acres of oceanfront property in Arizona. Suitable for a marina.

• Options
    SimpleCollectorSimpleCollector Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bill the cat from the Bloom County comic strip...it’s how he talked, someone says something and instead of commenting , you get a thbbbbbbfffftttttt

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file