Home U.S. Coin Forum

The MOST Beautiful NT Blue Frankie if EVER ........

ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 28, 2019 11:12AM in U.S. Coin Forum

From Paradise Lost ..... BLUE is screaming to be let out and I don't know what would be the safest way for me to crack it open.
PS: I am not very good with guys' tools except a hammer.
Thank you in advance for your suggestion :)

:s

:#

Comments

• DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh my word!

A triple decker of problems.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • CCDollarCCDollar Posts: 717 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting...is there a story?

CC

Nickel Triumph...My Led Zepps
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is that one of Joe's coins?

• smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

No doubt it's going to be beautiful! Probably something with a fine tooth blade, like a hacksaw or coping saw, to get it started.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks kind of like a Cadlina laevis Linnaeus

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know what to tell you PF....except you should have had Joe give it to PCGS with the rest of his coins. :)

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2019 12:00PM

If it was in a PCGS holder, hard to tell, PCGS has a re-holder special now. They did a great job on some PCGS slabs in a fire so they probably can fix this and get Trueview free.

Curious as to what happened. Looks like someone microwaved it. I haven't tried that to see what happens, but I am considering trying on one of my many worthless modern coins that I have in slabs.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CCDollar said:
    Very interesting...is there a story?

CC

Nice stamps! Color me very jealous. I've been resisting buying them to complete my airmail pages. All these years the only way this works for me is to tell myself I could buy them anytime as they don't seem to be appreciating. :(
    At least I can spend or easily sell a gold coin purchased with the same outlay of money.

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

No idea, but there is some humor in your opening comments! :D

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's pretty cool like it is... B)

• matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2019 12:36PM

I would risk a careful (held in a vice) application of a Dremel tool to try to free that baby. I'm a bit concerned about the apparent dent between the H and A in HALF though...hopefully an optical illusion from the melted plastic.

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:
    I think it's pretty cool like it is... B)

Any idea what date or grade it was? Only a few rare dates, or ones with FBL are worth messing with for a reholder. The more I look at it, I completely agree with Bullsitter as it really looks great for a display cabinet and as a conversation piece just the way it is.

• Senator32Senator32 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭✭

Put it in a large vat of Acetone. Acetone has no effect at all on metals and only dissolves / reacts with plastic. After a bit you will be able to take the coin out without any issues and get any plastic off it.

• TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I Had a Hammer
    Peter, Paul and Mary
    If I had a hammer
    I'd hammer in the morning
    I'd hammer in the evening
    All over this land
    I'd hammer out danger
    I'd hammer out a warning
    I'd hammer out love between
    My brothers and my sisters
    All over this land, uh
    .......Well, I've got a hammer

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 896 ✭✭✭✭

@Goldminers said:
    If it was in a PCGS holder, hard to tell, PCGS has a re-holder special now. They did a great job on some PCGS slabs in a fire so they probably can fix this and get Trueview free.

Curious as to what happened. Looks like someone microwaved it. I haven't tried that to see what happens, but I am considering trying on one of my many worthless modern coins that I have in slabs.

Don't do it. You'll ruin your microwave

• fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 896 ✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:
    From Paradise Lost ..... BLUE is screaming to be let out and I don't know what would be the safest way for me to crack it open.
    PS: I am not very good with guys' tools except a hammer.
    Thank you in advance for your suggestion :)

:s

:#

Is it a proof ?

• sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd also leave it as is for many reasons.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

It appears to 3 slabs -- are the other two empty? If so, the two might be easily separated from Frankie with a hack or coping saw without compromising the coin's slab. At least then you might see the coin obverse? I agree it's a neat piece entombed.

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would put it on a secure surface, then hit it with a chisel in the area of the slab joining surfaces...After that it may become a separation exercise....however, it should not be a major project.... unless, some of the slab has melted on the coin surface... then acetone is your friend....Cheers, RickO

• DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think freeing that coin will involve a vise, a fine toothed saw and a ham sammich. Maybe even a beer to wash down the sammich.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suppose you could send it in to PCGS as is, and ask for a Paradise label, which would work well both as a remembrance of what happened to it, and play into your Board name.

While clearly there was some nice toning there before the fire, I do believe that is the definition of heat accelerated toning. Given the shininess of the reverse I'm going to guess it's a proof. Nice looking Frankie!

• 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

A chainsaw would definitely open it up. :|

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • dadamsdadams Posts: 376 ✭✭✭

I'm with the others that say to leave it as it is. Print out some of the pics CHD posted of his safe from the Paradise fire and keep them together. If you free it it's just a blue toned half. -d

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with the others that say leave it. There is a certain allure about it trapped in the melted plastic. Make a display stand with some history of the coin and leave it on your desk. You can appreciate it every day. Sometimes the beauty can be in the presentation.

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradise Found -
    Do you know what coins are contained in your Paradise Remembered sculpture ? Denomination, date, mint mark, grade and, possibly, PCGS number? This info would be essential to the story in relating details of the coin entombed inside. Value before the fire would be interesting but not a main portion of the story.

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first impression was to get a small vise to secure the plastic as you're working on it with a Dremel tool, and a lot of patience!

However, after reading some of the comments and remembering from where this piece emanated... I might just leave it "as is" and put it on my mantel in the living room.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cutting it out may result in marking the coin. Perhaps heating your oven and putting them in to soften the plastic? Then maybe the plastic could be peeled away.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave as is. It's a testament to the coins fight to survive tremendous odds and in remembrance of those who did not survive the tragic fire. Place it in a glass container and set it on a shelf for all to see who visit you. JMO
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm afraid that because the slab is no longer flat with the seams symmetrical, putting it in a vice or snipping with a wire cutter, etc, may cause the plastic to move in a fashion we aren't used to seeing and damage the coin. I could be wrong but that would worry me.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Freeze it for a couple of days before whacking it on the side with a hammer. The plastic will be much more brittle.

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2019 11:25PM

PF.

If you're willing to chance knicking the coin.(not likely in my view)
    go to a Lowes or Home Depot

Buy these

Channellocks brand or another brand.

Get eye protection.

Take about a 3/8" bite out of the slab and squeeze down hard in one quick shot.
    Gloves too.

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2019 11:34PM

@Senator32 said:

Put it in a large vat of Acetone. Acetone has no effect at all on metals and only dissolves / reacts with plastic. After a bit you will be able to take the coin out without any issues and get any plastic off it.

Not all plastics dissolve in acetone. I was not aware that mylar/PET would not readily/quickly dissolve in acetone until @Crazyhounddog posted about his attempts to do homemade conservation.

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2019 11:35PM

@Wabbit2313 said:

@Senator32 said:

I can't imagine the gooey mess this would be.

It won't do much. This type of plastic is relatively resistant to acetone.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:
    Cadilina Laevis (Sea slug) Lineus 1767

@Hemispherical said:
    Looks kind of like a Cadlina laevis Linnaeus

• air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 796 ✭✭✭✭

How about putting it in a vise, heating it up with a mini torch , grab some pliers and pull it apart like taffy.
    Okay that’s funny:)

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hardware store for acetone. Chose a glass bowl just big enough for the blob, fill with acetone, cover with aluminum foil. Wait several days, plastic softens and dissolves, acetone is an organic solvent and will not react with metal. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice Lady: Here’s what I would try to do:
    Take it to a professional who could expose the obverse of the coin leaving the remaining plastic as is. Then you could have made a small plaque saying:

“Survivor – California’s deadliest wildfire – Paradise, California – November 2018”

Or something like that. However, I am sure that what ever you decide it will be the right decision.

• 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you want it out, I would go with trying to chemically melt it. Maybe a small section at a time so you know how its going to work.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 1, 2019 10:20AM

I am sorry for a late reply @Goldminers ..... the Paradise fire caused it and here is a picture borrowed from Joe's thread you probably missed :#

@Goldminers said:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file