Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Apollo Gold just posted, both "70's"

The odds had this as the outcome, seein's how 1 in 10 Proofs are grading 70, and 1 in 5 Uncs are grading 70. Now maybe I can break even, LOL!

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ebay.com/sch/cucamo...?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc="> MY EBAY

Comments

• Options
    cucamongacoincucamongacoin Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭

Oops, make that 9 in 10 and 4 in 5. BTW, it took less time to grade than it spent waiting to be "received"

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ebay.com/sch/cucamo...?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc="> MY EBAY
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonder how long it will take for bids on them to be at melt?

• Options
    matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LindeDad said:
    Wonder how long it will take for bids on them to be at melt?

Oh snap!

I think there is sufficient cachet for these to maintain a numismatic premium but time will tell. I know I'm very pleased with my PF70UC gold. I also collect other space items (autographs).

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got 69s for the Unc and the Proof. What are the odds? :(

• Options
    edited February 28, 2019 12:27PM

@dpoole said:
    Got 69s for the Unc and the Proof. What are the odds? :(

I assume you meant the Gold? It was bound to happen to some of us. From the pop reports I read yesterday, just over 5% were getting the PF69.

• Options

Out of the 1495 graded by NGC and PCGS thus far, 86 earned the PF69 (5.75%) (as of yesterday)

• Options
    GemstrikeGemstrike Posts: 87 ✭✭✭

I ordered both the Unc and the Proof but returned the Unc because it had a small hit on the flagpole. Our host has had the Proof in process for about a week so hopefully I'll soon get a grade.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

@matt_dac said:
    Out of the 1495 graded by NGC and PCGS thus far, 86 earned the PF69 (5.75%) (as of yesterday)

It Has been mentioned on this forum 100's of times. The 69 pops and % are completely irrelevant for modern coins. Major dealers send in 100's or 1000's of coins and check the box to only slab 70's. they do not have to pay the slab fee for those not slabbed, just the grading fee. All of their 69's or less get returned to them and sold raw or in OGP.

So no way to ever know the "odds". The best way to improve your chances is to look at the coin really well first, and don't send in coins with flaws, and you will have better "luck".

• Options

So the number of 69’s is actually much higher, good to know.

• Options
    GemstrikeGemstrike Posts: 87 ✭✭✭

I screened 45 Unc Apollo Silver dollars and went 6 for 6 on my submission as MS70. Screened 15 Proof and went 6 for 6 PR70 on them also. It seemed it was much harder to find the Unc 70s than thr Proof 70s.

• Options
    Chewy636Chewy636 Posts: 26 ✭✭✭

I'm still waiting to see how PCGS will grade my five 5oz Apollo coins they received them on the 31 of last month. so i'm hopeing any day now .

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I indulged in the early grading rush (and subsequent flipping exercise), I would be very disappointed if my purchases were less than 70... I have a multitude of silver ASE's and AGE's from the mint... procured at time of issue... initial appraisal (by me), appeared to be 70's.. probably some 69's though... I am not worried... they are lovely coins and I like them. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file