Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Delete

2fun2Bbad2fun2Bbad Posts: 110 ✭✭
edited March 9, 2019 10:57AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I just got back my Trueviews, what do you think the grade was?

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2019 8:29AM

PR67
    PR66
    PR67
    PR67
    PR67RB

Certs are shown.

Edit to add: Before pics: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1014882/1961-5c-jefferson-nickle

Thanks for the follow-up results @2fun2Bbad.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why did you bother submitting those? I don't see any value there slabbed or not. Sorry.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

Yea, it was disappointing, I thought they would be cameo or even deep cameo, guess I need to study more because I still haven't figured out why they aren't. Anyone care to share with me knowledge on why they weren't, obviously I am new to this and want to learn.
    Thank you for the help and encouragement.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't help with the cameo question as it is an area that has never held much interest for me. I do think you need to avoid very common date coins as it is easy to waste money slabbing such material. Even if you end up getting a high grade it can be difficult to sell because the collectors of such material tend to "make their own" rather than paying a premium and buying it already graded.

Beware of "one way markets". Promoters want to sell such coins to you at a big premium but when you want to sell to them the "have an adequate stock at the present time." The "present time" mean forever.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2019 9:04AM

PCGS info posted with vid:

Deep Cameo
    1950-1970 Proof Coinage:

Heavily frosted devices on both the obverse and reverse, with no areas of the main devices unfrosted.
    Heavy contrast between the fields and devices. https://www.pcgs.com/grades#gradeDC

Cameo
    1950-1970 Proof Coinage:

The obverse and reverse must exhibit devices that are at least lightly frosted and create a contrast with the fields.
    Frostiness on the devices may be heavier yet contain areas where the frost is lacking or brilliance is evident.
    A coin that exhibits Deep Cameo attributes on one side and Cameo attributes on the other side is considered only a Cameo.
    https://www.pcgs.com/grades#gradeCA

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tpEI3TMGzhg&t=2m07s&feature=youtu.be

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

6cam

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    Why did you bother submitting those? I don't see any value there slabbed or not. Sorry.

But, beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

A guideline I use for submissions;
    I check prices of potential submission coins on eBay, comparing the eBay purchase price with the costs of grading.
    If I can buy it already slabbed for less than or close to grading fees, I spend my money on eBay.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Franklin looks like it tried to be a cam.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know why the Franklin isn't a CAM, if it isn't.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the pics I personally think that both of the halfs have a claim to CAM, both Jeffersons and the Lincoln do not have any frost or contrast.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2fun2Bbad said:
    Yea, it was disappointing, I thought they would be cameo or even deep cameo, guess I need to study more because I still haven't figured out why they aren't. Anyone care to share with me knowledge on why they weren't, obviously I am new to this and want to learn.
    Thank you for the help and encouragement.

The tuition for a novice can be high, especially when submitting raw coins.

Forgive me if you have already been told info like this. I recommend you:

1. Decide on the coins you want to collect or at least settle on a coin series on which you can focus.
    2. Read as much as you can about the series. Talk to others who collect the series.
    3. Buy already certified coins (stick with PCGS) in grades you wish to collect.
    4. Study those coins.
    5. Read more and talk more to others.
    6. Buy additional certified coins in grades above and below the grades you generally collect so you can build a 'grading set.'
    7. Read more and talk more to others.
    8. Buy raw coins to submit.
    9. Learn from the results of your submission.
    10. Repeat above steps as appropriate.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    I don't know why the Franklin isn't a CAM, if it isn't.

Perhaps this is a case of the TruView being misleading, because I also feel this way.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2019 3:56PM

I think those coins could have benefited from a soak or rinse also.

• Options

Thank you everyone, your advice is well received. I thought even from my understanding the two halves should have been, after the their definition only makes me a bit more sure, but then there is the graders. Guess somethings are in the eye of beholder and subjective as perhaps luster.
    Compared to all the gold coins they've been looking at, mine failed in comparison lol. It was an education, cheaper than many of my others in life. I certainly felt it could have been like to few where you mess up and still make money, turns out like too many lol.
    Whats eveyones thought on accented hair?

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

" Whats eveyones thought on accented hair? "

Not

• Options
    RexfordRexford Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2fun2Bbad said:
    Thank you everyone, your advice is well received. I thought even from my understanding the two halves should have been, after the their definition only makes me a bit more sure, but then there is the graders. Guess somethings are in the eye of beholder and subjective as perhaps luster.
    Compared to all the gold coins they've been looking at, mine failed in comparison lol. It was an education, cheaper than many of my others in life. I certainly felt it could have been like to few where you mess up and still make money, turns out like too many lol.
    Whats eveyones thought on accented hair?

Take a look at the lack of frost in the lower points of the devices. See how certain areas on the devices are frosty (ear, top of the head, and front of face on Kennedy and Franklin), and some are dull (cheek and neck areas on Kennedy, cheek and below on Franklin)? You need those dull parts to be filled in with frost in order for it to deserve a cameo designation. It's not only about the contrast between the devices and the fields, but about the amount of frost on the devices.

Even this piece, which has significantly more frost, is lacking in certain areas and graded PR66 without a cameo designation.

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

I may be light years away capturing the mirrors and contrast between the fields and devices but the second photos of each date show the improvements I've made. I don't think I have new photos of the 1942-P.

Leo :)

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file