Home U.S. Coin Forum

19th century purchasers of proof sets were often very particular.

RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 1, 2019 4:24PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Posted this on a thread about proof gold but thought it might be of wider interest. The collector lived in Boston, which was a "hot bed" of numismatic interest at the time.

Purchasers of proof sets were often very particular about the quality of the coins they received. Note, Mr. John Kimball Wiggin's comment at the bottom of page 1 and top of page 2:

“…I suppose it is unnecessary that I suggest that each piece should be put up separately in paper, and very securely packed, in order to insure safe carriage; but the value and beauty of them depends upon their entire freedom from scratches, or finger marks. I shall thankfully pay any extra charge for such packing and selection, that I may get them in perfect order….”

Ed - See post by Denga for corrected prices for 1859. At the time, there was an informal policy of sending only one set to a buyer, but exceptions were common.

Comments

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

"...thought it might be of wider interest."

Well, looks like I was wrong on that one. :)

• LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

I found it to be very interesting, as are all of
    your posts. I saved the letter for my files.
    Thanks.

My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fascinating.

I am not a purchaser of proof sets from the mint, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume one can no longer write a letter and request special care be made with their orders.

Great post.

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

.....I'm sure PCGS gets letters/emails/phone calls all the time
    asking the same !

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FredWeinberg said:
    I absolutely love it when you post these old letters, Roger,
    even if I don't post a comment to the thread.

I'm sure I'm not alone in fully enjoying these bits of
    numismatic history - and your interpretations of them.

I always learn something new from any of your numismatic posts.

Thanks for your time and efforts.... well appreciated.

1000% agree with Fred's whole comment

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2019 5:16PM

Fast forward to today and could be a typical complaint from a ticked off Ebay buyer (lol).

Very interesting letter though.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I totally enjoy, and look forward, to all of your posts @RogerB...both for historical and educational reasons... I doubt that such requests would even be considered today.... Cheers, RickO

• MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

Roger:

Unless they have somehow been lost, someone today has those proof coins in his or her collection. It's too bad that it's not possible to somehow link the coins to this letter and request. I wonder if the extra care that was requested for the shipment back then is reflected today in very high grades for the coins...

Mark

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:

No, you were not wrong. Love these posts, thank you. Just delayed reactions.

@Mark said:
    Roger:

Unless they have somehow been lost, someone today has those proof coins in his or her collection. It's too bad that it's not possible to somehow link the coins to this letter and request. I wonder if the extra care that was requested for the shipment back then is reflected today in very high grades for the coins...

Thanks for the comments. I guess I should not assume silence is non-interest.

We have the name and address of the original purchaser. Since Boston was a very active collector area, it's possible Wiggin's collection has a trail of evidence through auctions or other collectors. Wiggin also purchased proof sets in later years.

;)

• StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems Mr. Wiggin ran a coin and book store at the time, could be why he bought so many sets - either inventory or to fill orders. He was also listed as an authorized agent to accept absentee bids on Edward Cogan's auctions

I do see two auctions credited with his name listed though (via auction catalog price lists)

May 30th, 1860 - Haven't found this catalog yet
    March 25th & 26th 1862 - Held by Cogan. 2 '59 6-piece proof sets sold for $3.75 and $3.30
    https://archive.org/details/pricedcatalogueo00coga_17/page/n5

And a 3rd later in life:
    March 14th & 15th 1876

Unless any specific proof set was kept together until today, doubt it would be traced as an Ex: Wiggin piece, if any came from his auctions.

------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

Considering the date of Wiggins letter, 1859, proof coins were just becoming commonly available. Perhaps proofs prior to 1859 were either delivered in velvet boxes, or they were just sent without protection in an envelope?

OINK

edited March 1, 2019 9:49AM

Proof coins were normally wrapped in paper and shipped in envelopes or small boxes via Adams Express Co. (The Mint had a contract for bullion shipment with Adams.)

All velvet set boxes were made by local jewelers or box makers. A few were ordered by the Philadelphia Mint for presentation sets. Good examples are US proof sets ordered by the State Department for diplomatic use, and coin sets prepared by the Mint as exchange for similar sets received for the Mint Cabinet from other countries, such as Netherlands, or France.

RE: Wiggin background.
    Thanks StrikeOutXXX. Looks like it is unlikely any specific set could be traced.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:

I read them all and will bookmark those when time is tight or when I need/want to read the authentic documents. Thanks for all the research you do!

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

Indeed I appreciate and find interesting all of your historical posts!

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some things never change; the critics of the US mint complaining about any marks or fingerprints. How common was it for collectors and dealers to send back sets that did not meet their fussy criteria?

edited March 1, 2019 1:06PM

@logger7 said:
    Some things never change; the critics of the US mint complaining about any marks or fingerprints. How common was it for collectors and dealers to send back sets that did not meet their fussy criteria?

I have not kept track of 19th century complaint letters, but I remember there being one or two in the files for some years. Common gripes were fingerprints, scratches, rim damage or simply lost in transit. We have to remember that proof coins had little value over face -- if things got tough, proof coins bought food or paid the rent. In fact, that was the primary appeal of coin collecting over stamps and other things - the collection was a special savings account; ready money in time of need.

• dengadenga Posts: 903 ✭✭✭

There appears to be some confusion over the costs of proof coins in 1859
    and the Wiggin letter. He was off by a total of 44 cents, the correct individual
    amounts being $87.04, 27.04, and 36.24. A silver set (containing the cent) cost
    $2.02 while the gold set was $41.50. The only surcharge was on the silver
    dollar, which cost $1.08 because Mint Director Snowden considered this its
    value in terms of the minor silver coinage. Postage was an additional cost.

OK, thanks! By 1862 the silver & cent set was $3.00. A proof dollar separately was $1.27, and in circulation version was $1.08. A separate gold dollar proof was $1.10.

• mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like these letters, and most of all, I like that you translate the alien language of drunken roaches crawling around in black paint on a piece of ?? Paper ?? into a language I can read.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file