Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Question about holder on world issue?

jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 28, 2019 5:40AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

This is a real opinion question, forget buy the coin, not the holder comments, (I could care less about that discussion)

My personal collection (box of 20) sort of speak, is 100% PCGS CAC. But I have a scarce(in demand) US/Phillipino issue that I am thinking of keeping and adding to my Box. It is currently in NGC , because that is where I submit all world coins too. Would you cross this coin to match the other holders, or would you leave it in the NGC holder, and forget about the holder. CAC doesn't holder world, and from what I read "wings" doesn't really get the traction on world that cac does on US. Also, if down the road when the time comes to auction it, does the holder on world issues make a difference as much as US coins do?

Thanks for all your input, reason I was asking, I was riding up to Baltimore this weekend, and can just drop it off to cross , and not have to worry about mailing/insurance.

Comments

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

I understand the OC nature of many of us, and even though it won't CAC, it might be nice to have it in the matching slab if your brain is wired that way. For the sake of MY OC and given the parameters of your 'box of 20', I'd even get a WINGS sticker just so it will have one. WINGS may not quite be the market mover/shaker that CAC is, but it's still something (and I have a few with stickers and I find them to be Very Nice Coins).

As for value, some series seem to be 'better' or preferred in one vs. the other but I have no idea about US/Philippines. In general I don't see too much difference in the narrow markets I see. That said, more and more Japanese coins seem to be headed to PCGS.

Now, some of mine I cross to NGC (my Albanian set for the registry over there but also for consistency) but for Japanese coins I have begun to prefer PCGS as they are doing a much better job with varieties and using the JNDA. All coins are being selected for how they fill my collection though.

• Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2019 8:31PM

@jdimmick said:
    does the holder on world issues make a difference as much as US coins do?

Not nearly as much but it also depends on the particular series. Compare the census and competitive registry sets to see which side has more action -- I assume that when it's time to sell you'll get more interest from the side with the most collectors. If it's a top pop NGC then you probably want to keep it that way.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just leave it as it is. The amount of anguish collectors currently feel over holders and stickers is hurting collecting at a time when it doesn't need any more problems.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

My personal experience and opinion is at the moment in the overall scheme of world coins NGC has a slight edge over PCGS. That being said the Philippine market is pretty strong. Given it's ties to the US I would wager when the time came to sell you would do better with it in a PCGS holder.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would leave it as is !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

Leave as is. I like both NGC and PCGS for my world crowns and thai coins. NGC coins are more abundant for world so most of my collection is NGC but I don't shy from getting pcgs at all. Both are great.

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.