Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The LIKERTY coin, what is it? Mini-Me Mystery

Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

A Mini-Me Mystery
Some where along the way I once saw a coin Variety where the B of Liberty was worn away or chipped, something causing it to read as LIKERTY. It is a published variety on an old coin pre 1900 if I recall.

Who knows what it was? Better yet, who has one or pics?

Comments

• Options
    edited February 27, 2019 1:21PM
  • Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

That one deserves a like. :)

• Options

@ms70 said:
    Not to be confused with the sister coin "LIBEKTY", also a Half Dime....

Noice! :)
    That rings a bell too. Cool example, thank you.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or the Liherty large cent (CoinFacts pic below - not mine):

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1796 "LIKERTY" half dime is, in my opinion, a controversial coin. It is supposed to be a late die state of the “normal date” (not the overdate) 1796 half dime which Valentine listed as V-1 and Logan and McCloskey called LM-1. The die state is found when the “B” in “LIBERTY” is open at the top, which makes it look like a “K.” The trouble is all of these coins are weak at the top of the “B” to certain extent so it is hard say when this Red Book variety kicks in, if it kicks in at all.

Here is the current coin that is in my early half dime set that covers this variety. The photos are courtesy of Pinnacle Rarities, Inc.

Here is a close-up of the "LIKERTY" area

And here is a piece that is attributed to be the "normal" variety

And here is the close-up

Whatever differences there are, are very slight. Logan and McCloskey don't even mention the "LIKERTY" die state. They cite other die breaks, but not that abnormality.

So does it really exist? I don't know, but it's got a line in the Red Book and place in my collection.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

The 1800 "LIBEKTY" half dime is a real variety. The punch that was used to enter the "R" in "LIBEERTY" was broken at the top which left the letter looking a bit like a "K."

Here is that Variety:

detail

And here is the "LIBERTY" variety.

detail

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

There must be no connection between the left upright and upper right curve of "B" for it to be the LIKERTY variety. As with full steps Jefferson nickels, 1922 no-D cents, 3-leg Buffalo and other similar varieties, buyers and authenticators MUST be strict for the variety to retain its credibility.

Bill's photos suggest neither coin is LIKERTY.

• Options

Bill's photos suggest neither coin is LIKERTY.

I don't think that the "LIKERTY" is a real die state. I have more pictures of pieces that have been called "LIKERTY" and the look is similar. I've been going over this topic for a number of years.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmmm, are there other LIKERTIES out there? How about that famous monument THE STATUE OF LIKERTY or that famous line GIVE ME LIKERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH? That old song/movie THE MAN WHO SHOT LIKERTY VALANCE. I guess it all just comes down to LIFE, LIKERTY, AND THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS!!!

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

"HAPPINESS"

Shouldn't that be "HAFFINESS" ?

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is also a LIBEKTY half dollar variety from 1807:

Exceedingly Rare, only 4 are known. Pictured is the discovery coin.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file