Home Precious Metals
Options

Palladium spotting or discloration

I’m a long time viewer and I appreciate all the opinions and facts I receive on this forum. I am also collecting US Palladium coins (for now). I have a question for those of you who have collected palladium coins from other countries. Do any of your foreign coins exhibit spotting, discoloration or any other issues? I have numerous American Silver Eagles (ASE) and gold buffalo coins that have developed milk spots (ASE) or brown spots (buffalo).

Thanks

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forums @Vpd!

Spotting on gold is usually an issue with improper mixture of gold/copper and copper is causing the spots.

ASE or silver in general has had and continues to have milk spots. If someone can figure the cause then we could have a fix.

I do not know about Pd spotting but am sure fellow board members will have something to say about this and the other PMs.

Post some pics of the PM spotting you have observed and you will probably get more detailed responses, too.

Have fun and enjoy the stacking and/or hobby!

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

to the forums!

As far as I understand, Platinum and Palladium are inert and shouldn't tone whatsoever.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

These guys have some interesting videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg2WzCzKpYU

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2019 9:07AM

I have Palladium Maples from 2005 with no issues. I have silver Eagles from a year ago that have spotting. That’s why I will not spend my money on graded silver Eagles (or Apollo’s,etc.), Particularly the 70s as they spot just as well. I know some people dip them before they send them off for grading.. I will buy gold near spot that is graded. Not way above.
    I will buy Palladium Eagles all day in the 70s because they are drop dead beautiful and I know the value won’t go down due to discoloration or spotting.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    VpdVpd Posts: 47 ✭✭

Thank you Ashland and MilesWaits for the welcome and information. This is exactly the insight I hoped would be available.

MilesWaits, your thoughts on collecting silver and gold will probably change my coin collecting approach as I have had the same concerns about decreases in value due to spotting. Thanks again.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vpd.... Welcome aboard....ASE's are famous for milkspots... and there is no known cure for them once they manifest. I was told years ago (by Russ) that I should dip them in acetone for a while as soon as I received them. I have done this and have no milk spots. Since no one seems to be able to identify the cause and there is no cure...this is the recommendation I would give you if you get ASE's. It seems to work. As far as gold copper spots, I think there are conservation methods for them, but also have been told they are likely to return. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are on the right track, VPD, asking the questions here where the knowledge, experience and our mistakes all lie, entangled with hope.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.