Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Suspected Counterfeit Coins to look for… 1849 Seated Liberty Dollar

burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

I started a bi-weekly post in my FB counterfeit watchdog group; in my 1st post of suspect coins to look for one of the members commented "Very interesting Jack. Some counterfeits are done very well. The most important thing is to expose them and educate numismatists".

I thought this is a great point and went back and looked at all the data and images we have collected with the help from all areas of the hobby, particularly 2 TPG's and considered the effort to fully research each properly and summarize every variety...

In short, there are many examples we just haven't had time to develop the article documenting them and the images sit on my desktop, so I would like to start posting them here as "Suspected Counterfeit Coins to look for" on varieties where we have at least 2 different sets of images of examples with matching identifying sister marks- to expose them (as my friend stated) to this group ahead of any final article.

So, I’ll kick this off with the 1849!

4 “suspect” examples recorded currently including the possible genuine source coin.

Major attribution marks include tooled “E” on ONE, Non-parallel shield lines and a “dotted A”.

1st image is of the probable holed source example, second the possible repaired source and third the two together with noted attribution marks.

Next images are of two other examples 3 & 4.

The next images are of these major attribution marks and include an image of the 3 examples and the reverses including common circulation sister marks.

The last image is of the 2017 internet example that appears to have the shield lines corrected and other marks minimized but many are still there including the dotted A (friends of the LSCC agreed there is no known variety with that dot over “A”).

Best, Jack.

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file