Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do you ever wonder who your eBay fellow collectors are?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 24, 2019 10:18PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I've noticed that on a few auctions, the top 3 bidders, including myself, are the same. But since it's on eBay, I have no way to find out who they are.

Have you ever wondered who are the people chasing the same things as you?

Comments

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not really (as long as there are no indications that I'm being shill bid by a seller).

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope and don't care. :/

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2019 7:29AM

Customers worldwide.

Diverse buyers not the specialized types necessarily found here. Many overseas.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Years ago, when I frequented ebay more often, I saw that phenomena... in coins and marbles.... I did wonder about it and considered if they were shill bids. I watched closely for a while, and it turns out they were real bids from real people..just other avid collectors. That was then though, so maybe different now. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

On eBay, you used to be able to see the other bidders. You could even contact them! Many coin offers were sent to me by people who saw I missed out and had a similar piece in their inventory. Other times, competition would send messages kind of chiding each other about winning or losing.
    It is a small world. I wish we could go back to those days

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can figure out who the bidders are.

I use this info all the time ;)

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

As long as they are not from seller I don’t care but sometimes it hard to tell.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭✭✭

eBay is a 24/7 coin shop with the best inventory and deals on planet earth. Tens of thousands of fellow collectors just like me. God bless eBay, especially when they hand me a coupon or bonus bux. Never wondered about the other bidders but I'm usually a buy it now under spot / under greysheet bid kind of guy. lol

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think like you do zoins. There’s relatively few coal scrip and wv token collectors. I can see a few common bidders on some rare local pieces. One fellow I’ve worked with in the past and gave a few things to for a local history book.

We’ve bid against each other and then send a text message saying “look what I just picked up”

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2019 8:52AM

@DNADave said:
    I think like you do zoins. There’s relatively few coal scrip and wv token collectors. I can see a few common bidders on some rare local pieces. One fellow I’ve worked with in the past and gave a few things to for a local history book.

We’ve bid against each other and then send a text message saying “look what I just picked up”

That sounds fun. I have a few coal scrip pieces as well. I see a lot of the tokens sell and followed a nice Red Parrot set a while back but told myself not to spread myself too thin. Those sold for strong prices and I still wonder who has them. I still hope nice photos for them show up some time.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file