Home Precious Metals
Options

Mint Sells out of Silver Eagles.....How are the Premiums for ASEs?

jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 24, 2019 4:28PM in Precious Metals

Has anyone seen an increase in the premiums for ASEs? It appears that demand may be "up". Besides that, when they restock, the coins will be on allocation.

https://kitco.com/news/2019-02-21/U-S-Mint-Sells-Out-Of-American-Eagle-Coins-6M-Sold-YTD.html

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

Comments

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 24, 2019 5:34PM

Mint's shelves are close to empty because the Authorized Purchasers are filling up their shelves. Until Authorized purchasers have empty shelves consumer demand can only be estimated. Obviously the APs are anticipating, or already experiencing, increased demand.

The mint's gold is to sell out of everything they produce. They hate having products left on the shelf. Minting more to meet demand is cheaper in the long run than destroying/melting what what they already minted and keep in inventory.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

JUst grabbed a roll of 2019! Was looking at getting one anyway. This pushed me over the edge :)

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@massscrew said:
    JUst grabbed a roll of 2019! Was looking at getting one anyway. This pushed me over the edge :)

they are just temporarily out , they are not rare :D

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

The mint sells its excess inventory at the end of the year by requiring new year purchasers also purchase a quantity of the previous years'.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

No worries.. Like I said, I was getting one anyway :)

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

We seem to replay this story every year. Maybe this time is different.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/878020/mint-runs-out-of-silver-high-demand-for-ase

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always happens, mint is not good at predicting demand. By the summer doldrums they will be begging the authorized purchasers to take them at a discount. No change in premiums here.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

No increase in demand on our retail side. Our website has had an uptick in sales though, we are now showing "Out of stock".

• Options
    oldstandardoldstandard Posts: 387 ✭✭✭
    edited February 24, 2019 7:33PM

Never understood the demand for Silver Eagles they are over priced and when you test them they are not even a perfect .999 fine silver we get privately made rounds of higher quality. if I get some time I will add some pictures running through the Sigma pro normal junking .999 fine rounds are made better the what the government Eagles are. I would understand the premium if they were .9999 like the Canadians.

• Options

@oldstandard said:
    Never understood the demand for Silver Eagles they are over priced and when you test them they are not even a perfect .999 fine silver we get privately made rounds of higher quality. if I get some time I will add some pictures running through the Sigma pro normal junking .999 fine rounds are made better the what the government Eagles are. I would understand the premium if they were .9999 like the Canadians.

or rare , or showed any imagination at all . just stealing a design from the WW1 era like whoopie we couldn't think of anything sorry doesn't rate a premium. There is nothing more generic than a silver eagle

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@oldstandard said:

or rare , or showed any imagination at all . just stealing a design from the WW1 era like whoopie we couldn't think of anything sorry doesn't rate a premium. There is nothing more generic than a silver eagle

I did the test and posted it on a new post I agree with you

• Options

I paid 20 each for 2019 koalas the other day. Perth mint at least makes a new design every year , you could actually collect koalas or kooks or pandas and display them. Collecting ASE's is like collecting cornflakes or grains of rice.

• Options

@bronco2078 said:
    I paid 20 each for 2019 koalas the other day. Perth mint at least makes a new design every year , you could actually collect koalas or kooks or pandas and display them. Collecting ASE's is like collecting cornflakes or grains of rice.

and they are pure quality silver all the way through.

• Options

On Apmex, a monster box of ASEs carries over a 17% premium, while a monster box of kangaroos or britannias carry 12% and 11% premiums respectively. These premiums seem pretty high to me and that's the gist of my question - are these premiums higher than usual????

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oldstandard said:

But are they? Pandas are a measly 999 same as ASE's and triple the premium.

• Options
    edited February 25, 2019 6:35AM

@Jinx86 said:

@oldstandard said:

But are they? Pandas are a measly 999 same as ASE's and triple the premium.

they have better purity then eagles then there are the .9999 with the premiums he is talking about buying something different then the same old design collectability I assume. I prefer to buy plain old silver and nothing more then just the silver to store as silver. I just do not understand the love of a plain silver Eagle when you can get more for less. I have never seen them for triple the premium maybe I live in my box we can buy he new pandas here cheaper then eagles. I would buy neither the store down the road has a buy price at $2.75 over spot and selling $6.00 over spot right now for dirty birds we suggested selling there and they are always out so I understand why you sell them to feed the herd I just do understand why someone stacking silver pays that premium now a collector I understand.

• Options
    edited February 25, 2019 4:52AM

The cheapest Panda I could find was scruffy, for $20.99, and at 30 grams instead of 31.2 grams for an ounce, the premium is over 35%. Bad deal, all the way around if ya ask me.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2019 5:35AM

@jmski52 said:
    On Apmex, a monster box of ASEs carries over a 17% premium, while a monster box of kangaroos or britannias carry 12% and 11% premiums respectively. These premiums seem pretty high to me and that's the gist of my question - are these premiums higher than usual????

Those 2 are worse than eagles . Old Britannias had more of a following , something changed around 2012 and that ended. Kangaroos don't interest anyone

@jmski52 said:
    The cheapest Panda I could find was scruffy, for $20.99, and at 30 grams instead of 31.2 grams for an ounce, the premium is over 35%. Bad deal, all the way around if ya ask me.

When the Pandas went to 30 grams people went off them. If you have older Pandas they will sell for more than eagles by a wide margin.

It's not a monster box thing thats only eagles as far as I can tell. I'm sure boxes of libertads or philharmonics or maples exist I just don't think anyone cares. I.e. they don't want them or refuse to pay a premium like they do with a coin or roll quantity I think its because they are coins. . Like if you have a BU franklin you can get more money than a beat up example maybe twice melt or whatever. You can't put 20 in a tube and easily get double melt for the roll , no one cares really. I mean they might sell eventually but there is little demand.

• Options
    edited February 25, 2019 7:09AM

@jmski52 said:

yes when you can buy silver for $17 in 10 oz bars for stackers seems nuts not talking about collecting.

• Options
    edited February 25, 2019 9:18AM

Yes, collecting and speculation in the metals are indeed two different things and in fact you combine both collecting & speculation when you accumulate some types of bullion coins.

Sometimes that aspect pays off, and sometimes not - but when bullion is rising and then more collectors start to materialize - that's when you win both ways.

When collectors start to drop out because bullion is stagnant or sinking - that's when you buy. ;)

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

"When the Pandas went to 30 grams people went off them. If you have older Pandas they will sell for more than eagles by a wide margin."

I don't agree with the above statement. Most of the world is on the Metric System and understand what a gram is, compared to oz. Pandas are known world wide unlike the ASE. Normally supply & demand dictates prices and it's obvious the demand for the Panda is still there. BTW, I do not collect either one Panda or ASE.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

premiums are a measure of product desirability.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options

@OPA said:
    "When the Pandas went to 30 grams people went off them. If you have older Pandas they will sell for more than eagles by a wide margin."

I don't agree with the above statement. Most of the world is on the Metric System and understand what a gram is, compared to oz. Pandas are known world wide unlike the ASE. Normally supply & demand dictates prices and it's obvious the demand for the Panda is still there. BTW, I do not collect either one Panda or ASE.

I'm not saying its rational. I've just seen bullion dealers selling 2016 and 2017 and 2018 pandas for not much over the cost of 2019. It used to be after 2 or 3 years the price jumped up at least 10 bucks or more . Now maybe they are also minting a lot more since they went to metric and theres no market shortage

• Options
    edited February 25, 2019 11:25AM

I wonder if it's illegal in the US to counterfeit older Pandas that have the higher premiums (particularly, the gold ones). Just wondering what the Chinese govt would say about it if the collectors of their coins started complaining.

I knew it would happen.