Home U.S. Coin Forum

Civil War Token help needed.

I just received this token from an auction on the bay last week. NGC states that it is a double struck. The obverse is easy to see the second hit on the corner with the obverse die. How does the reverse end up with a star in the second strike when the star is on the obverse? Could it have been sandwiched with another token and the die? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Sam

Comments

• WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting piece.

After looking a while, I’m thinking the smaller clip strike was the first strike then the second strike was the full centered strike, albeit, with a little planchet turn between strikes where you can see where the D.L. didn’t registrate right. The photo looks maybe incuse on the O and star on the side that says Union Flour so I’m thinking maybe it was a die cap as well? Lots going on hard to say and I could be wrong, but that’s what I’m reading from the photos.

Thanks for posting.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep in mind that Civil War Tokens were struck as a profit making venture. This token, which is quite interesting, was probably deemed good enough to be used in spite of its striking flaws. If it looked like a cent it was OK. They just had to find someone willing to accept it, which, for about a 2-3 year period was easy to do.

All glory is fleeting.
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

The "O" and star on the reverse both look incuse which would argue for partial brockage.
    @FredWeinberg @ErrorsOnCoins

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like it was double struck only as the previous token wasn't discharged and flipped over and a portion when back in under the die. That's also why only that specific portion of the obverse shows any remaining evidence of the first strike.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 24, 2019 4:54PM

The second strike was centered, with a struck token partially between the reverse and the reverse die. The second strike was only strong enough to impart the obverse design where the two coins were stacked, the obverse die never touched the rest of the face.

Mike Diamond used to call these “ghost strikes” or “invisible strikes”, it is quite an unusual and appealing error.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 24, 2019 5:58PM

I think the attempt to make a mint error has resulted in an altered and damaged coin. :(

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is neat whatever it is!

• sjcoinssjcoins Posts: 69 ✭✭✭

Thanks for all the help. It might end up in my box of 20. Sam

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting error token.... certainly a keeper. Look forward to further input on this one... Cheers, RickO

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    I think the attempt to make a mint error has resulted in an altered and damaged coin. :(

It wouldn't have a fully formed rim on both the obverse/reverse if this didn't occur in the press.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Broadstruck said:

@Insider2 said:

It wouldn't have a fully formed rim on both the obverse/reverse if this didn't occur in the press.

Oh, it occurred in a press alright. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file