Home Q & A Forum
Options

What do you think on this 1983 cent?

WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

I pulled this in a roll search. Tell what you think. All opinions are welcome.

Kennedys are my quest...

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 24, 2019 12:24PM

I vote gas bubbles/zinc rot.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 24, 2019 11:41AM

@JBK said:
    I vote has bubbles/zinc rot.

Seconded

@WAYNEAS said:

http://www.error-ref.com/blisteredplating/

• Options

can you tell me how this occurs...it appears(to me) that the "bubble" would have formed after the coin was struck as the "date" is below the bubble and it has no part of the date on it. again thanks

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WAYNEAS said:
    can you tell me how this occurs...it appears(to me) that the "bubble" would have formed after the coin was struck as the "date" is below the bubble and it has no part of the date on it. again thanks

“Zinc corrosion (“zinc rot”) can be induced by contaminants trapped between the zinc core and the copper plating. A more common cause of zinc rot is the presence of a small perforation or tear in the copper plating. This allows oxygen and reactive compounds to reach the zinc core.”

• Options

@Hemispherical said:

@JBK said:
    I vote has bubbles/zinc rot.

Seconded

@WAYNEAS said:

http://www.error-ref.com/blisteredplating/

Thanks for the link. It was very helpful.

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

I say the trifecta of oops. Gas bubble, rot and maybe a chip. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall