Home Metal Detecting

Here is a find by "accident."

DCWDCW Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my backyard today, swinging the coil on a fairly warm day in Jersey, and just before sunset, I dug this awesome porcelain dog about 5 inches down!

Why am I getting a signal on something that isn't metal you ask? Well, I must've had a trash target right next to it, and dug this puppy up on accident!
It's marked JAPAN, probably circa 1950s.

Love it

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
"Coin collecting for outcasts..."

Comments

• ponderitponderit Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

very cool find

Successful BST transactions with Rob41281, crazyhounddog, Commoncents, CarlWohlford, blu62vette, Manofcoins, Monstarcoins, coinlietenant, iconbuster, RWW,Nolawyer, NewParadigm, Flatwoods, papabear, Yellowkid, Ankur, Pccoins, tlake22, drddm, Connecticoin, Cladiator, lkeigwin, pursuitofliberty
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice, I like it !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:
    In my backyard today, swinging the coil on a fairly warm day in Jersey, and just before sunset, I dug this awesome porcelain dog about 5 inches down!

Why am I getting a signal on something that isn't metal you ask? Well, I must've had a trash target right next to it, and dug this puppy up on accident!
    It's marked JAPAN, probably circa 1950s.

Love it

That is a nice cute find. Maybe ID the maker?

http://www.japanesepotterymarks.info/identification_marks.php

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

that's neat :)

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that is a unique find... non metallic .... Did you find the associated junk piece? if not, check the base and see if it is lead filled...Cheers, RickO

• Really cool

• DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭

Poetic justice if that dog was buried somewhere in the past by a BONE!! ;)

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

There was no mandatory garbage ordinance in my Boro into the 1970's. My backyard is a treasure trove of assorted goodies since I created my first garden. I still find old marbles, wheaties, small glassware, etc. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep... old yards/gardens... and even old farm fields can yield a lot of finds.... I know where there is an old town dump in my area...long since abandoned and overgrown.... should be a real great area for item detecting. Cheers, RickO

• @ricko I have to encourage you to get into your town dump and do some digging! Especially if it has some age to it.Not only would you be preserving your local history you might just find old bottles that can be very desirable.Ive dug several city dumps,farm dumps,privys and cisterns.All have been a great experience and have turned up some great artifacts including coins.Always do your research(who owns the land) and really try to get permission first.

• @DCW Very nice find!👍 Here is a similar type item from@1910. Lunch time folk art from a local insulator co. This was approx.9 ft under the ground!