Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

CrazyHoundDog PCGS Coin Update

HeatherBoydHeatherBoyd Posts: 406 admin
edited February 25, 2019 6:22PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hello everyone,

Our restoration team has been working their behinds off downstairs processing what Joe (@crazyhounddog) refers to as "the lions share" of his collection. And I simply CANNOT wait any longer to share some of the amazing outcomes with you all (Joe has already seen these.)

We are not done processing the 140+ coins yet (and therefore some certs will not yet show as valid) but here are some of my favorites from Joe's amazing toned buffalo collection that kept their toning:

And of course, this beauty made our jaws drop!

Our incredibly talented label designer also worked with Joe to create something truly special using an image Joe's family voted as the best visual representation of him which I will save to show you guys next week. Why? Because I love cliffhangers and I'd like to give you all something to look forward to over the weekend.

Joe, from the bottom of my heart (and from the whole team here), thank you for sharing your story with us and your unending hope and positivity. This project has provided a lot of warm fuzzies for us all, even in the midst of great tragedy.

Heres some images of the state of Joe's coins when we recieved them:

UPDATE The CrazyHoundDog Label

Heather Boyd
PCGS Senior Director of Marketing

Comments

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's great to see! Good for Joe and kudos to PCGS!!

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 22, 2019 6:43PM

Wow! Great work PCGS! Thanks @HeatherBoyd for sharing and looking forward to the update on @crazyhounddog FireStorm hoard.

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

Going from melted blobs of plastic to those great looking coins is truly a work of art. Kudos to PCGS. Can't wait to see the label.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the update Heather. It was nice meeting you at FUN and talking about coins and dogs. :)

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing! Great job PCGS!!!!

I have to ask, were there any that couldn't be saved or changed significantly from the heat?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great job by PCGS. I'm sure Joe is beside himself for all you have done.........very classy!

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome! All of the acts of kindness through Joe's whole ordeal are heartwarming.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

very nice

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a really special thread, Heather. Great work on the part of PCGS.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Outstanding! :)

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice! Thanks for the showing, I am happy to see positive results!

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,604 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two thumbs up to PCGS for their support to help alleviate a sad situation!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    ponderitponderit Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

And from the ashes....
    Truly great work by Heather and PCGS. I can't wait to see them all, and the label of course!

Successful BST transactions with Rob41281, crazyhounddog, Commoncents, CarlWohlford, blu62vette, Manofcoins, Monstarcoins, coinlietenant, iconbuster, RWW,Nolawyer, NewParadigm, Flatwoods, papabear, Yellowkid, Ankur, Pccoins, tlake22, drddm, Connecticoin, Cladiator, lkeigwin, pursuitofliberty
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

A great generous restoration which you deserve a big

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 22, 2019 10:10PM

THIS is what has been holding up the line? (sarcasm)

A magnificent job by the restoration team!

Shoot-fire, some of those blobs of plastic look like they could be art as well as the treasurers inside!

A pedigree would have been nice.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 22, 2019 9:29PM

This is amazing! Kudos to PCGS!

It would be great to do an article on PCGS.com like the restoration of the Saddle Ridge and the SS Central America Hoards.

If there are some cheap coins, it may be interesting to leave them in the melted slabs....

• Options
    bobsrbobsr Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

Kudos to PCGS. Amazin1. Amazing that a profit motivated company Has The biggest heart I know.
    Bob Sr CEO Fieldtechs

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HeatherBoyd
    Those coins look fantastic.
    How are the grades compared to what they were before?
    I would never believed that those coins could be restored to the condition as in the True-Views that you posted! I love Buffalo's myself but that $2 1/2 Gold Indian makes me drool!!!!!

That is very nice of PCGS to do this. :)

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

Awesome!

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

SO AWESOME!!!!!!!

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love those gold ones!

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really cool stuff. Can’t wait to see the rest.

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

He should call his set "The Phoenix" Thanks to PCGS's work

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    rkfishrkfish Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭

That's just incredible work! Fantastic job!

Steve

Check out my PQ selection of Morgan & Peace Dollars, and more at:
    WWW.PQDOLLARS.COM or WWW.GILBERTCOINS.COM
  • Options
    jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing!! Thanks for all you do!!!

• Options
    MaineJimMaineJim Posts: 740 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice job - way to go.

• Options
    maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

WELL DONE! PCGS

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are da BEST PCGS and @HeatherBoyd ! <3

• Options

@fiftysevener said:
    For those of you with a decent safe you can purchase compact automatic fire extinguishers that hang in a bracket inside that might buy a little more time for your coins and valuables. However I doubt this one would have helped Joe.

There was paper and cardboard inside the safe that did not combust, however the inside of the safe did reach temperatures high enough to melt holders and plastic boxes.

Heather Boyd
    PCGS Senior Director of Marketing

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

WTG PCGS and the best to my dear friend Joe and his family. <3

• Options

Great news!

• Options
    chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holy cow! What a great job by PCGS! I went through a total house fire in 2015 but fortunately my coins weren't in the house at the time. What survived was melted, charred, or covered with a thick coat of ash and residue from black smoke. The smell is imbedded and lingers in any item that survives so you can't really save anything. The whole day was surreal and nothing I will ever forget.

To this day I appreciate from the bottom of my heart everyone who helped try to make it better for us. From the restaurant who gave us a free meal that night to the firemen who still stop and talk to us at the grocery store. I'm sure Joe feels the same way! Kudos to PCGS for trying to make it better!!!

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 24, 2019 10:49PM

I'm happy for Joe and his resilient family.
    My hat is off to the whole numismatic community.

• Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bravo PCGS, Bravo!!! It's really a wonderful thing you guy's are doing. And, I along with many others will long remember it.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    deefree49deefree49 Posts: 282 ✭✭✭

That is great to see. It is truly a good outcome from a terrible event. Kudos to PCGS for doing such a nice thing.

I'm heartened that the results came out successfully and the coins regained their former beauty. Very well done!!

Lincoln coin lover, especially Matte Proofs
  • Options

CHD, that is GREAT NEWS!

• Options

@fiftysevener said:
    For those of you with a decent safe you can purchase compact automatic fire extinguishers that hang in a bracket inside that might buy a little more time for your coins and valuables. However I doubt this one would have helped Joe.

Just this past week I was looking at those but didn't dig too deep. I wonder if the chill of a CO₂ extinguisher would last a substantial time in an insulated fire-proof safe?

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow ... wow ... wow!

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    unspendableunspendable Posts: 127 ✭✭✭

Awesome....

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm glad to hear that my forum pal ( Joe ) now has a good grasp back on his heard.
    Are the coins now considered AT because of the conditions that they were exposed to?

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just amazing! Wonderful epilogue to a tragic story. PCGS....you're really # 1 :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file