Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1990 topps BB Print defects (NOT Frank Thomas related)

RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 22, 2019 8:14AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

So I recently purchased a case of vending directly from BBCE, and I was just curious what exactly happened with this card:

photo 8979F313-2FB5-447A-A7BC-618F2CC74DC6_zpsybgwo3tj.jpg

I’m guessing it’s yellow ink smeared? Is it fairly common among the 90 topps? I pulled this directly from the vending box. TIA!

Comments

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

The picture is not loading for me.

• Options

Gahh. I hate photobucket. I’m working on it.

• Options

Anyone have a better hosting site than photobucket? So I found three cards that have this ink issue; two of them match, and I think Dipino matches on the bottom. They are all off the Bsheet. I’ll open another case tomorrow and see what I can find. I’m thinking I’m probably going to find more.

https://i.imgur.com/T3OYzYj.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/RnnqvqK.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/G4wsLmr.jpg

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just curious, are you taking these pictures with your phone? If so, you can load the pics into your post straight from your phone rather than putting them into photo bucket first.

Andy

• Options

@ahopkins said:
    Just curious, are you taking these pictures with your phone? If so, you can load the pics into your post straight from your phone rather than putting them into photo bucket first.

Oh man. I see the icon now. Siiiiiigh.

• Options

Thanks for pointing that out!

• Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rofles said:
    So I recently purchased a case of vending directly from BBCE, and I was just curious what exactly happened with this card:

I’m guessing it’s yellow ink smeared? Is it fairly common among the 90 topps? I pulled this directly from the vending box. TIA!

It looks like the yellow ink roller was too saturated on that run causing an extra bleed of ink. This is fairly common across the late 1980s and early 1990s packs I have opened since they were cranking these off the presses as fast as they could print them. Most collectors view these as a print defect. If you land a star with this defect, some die-hard player collectors will pay a small premium for them. Good luck with the rest of the break. Hopefully there are many GEM MINT Big Hurt rookies in your future!!

• Options

@jordangretzkyfan said:

@Rofles said:

It looks like the yellow ink roller was too saturated on that run causing an extra bleed of ink. This is fairly common across the late 1980s and early 1990s packs I have opened since they were cranking these off the presses as fast as they could print them. Most collectors view these as a print defect. If you land a star with this defect, some die-hard player collectors will pay a small premium for them. Good luck with the rest of the break. Hopefully there are many GEM MINT Big Hurt rookies in your future!!

Okay good to know, thank you! I found a few more too! Looks like more than one B sheet was affected too! Too bad Frank wasn’t on the B sheet! I found the match under dipino, I’ll post any new ones I find. Can’t wait for your next box break!!

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like someone forgot their Charmin at the Topps factory that fateful day.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Boom. (not for sale)

Arthur

• Options

@ReggieCleveland said:
    Boom. (not for sale)

Arthur

Very nice!! I have one similar:

Perhaps they’re from the same sheet? I’ll have to look.

• Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

I hate fisheyes.

PackManInNC
  • Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭
    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options

I bet I searched these forums 100 times, and have never seen that thread. Thanks!
    My post originally was about the weird yellow ink on a case of 1990 I’m breaking, but thought it’s be more fun if others had some unique ones as well. Thanks for sharing that thread!

• Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

I believe that Lee Smith is the only non-print defect variation in the entire set.

Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options

Thoughts on these errors from 1990 topps?
    I feel like I ran into a Box that was put together 30 years ago and years ago and it was an early run
    Any help or advice to see what the market is on something like this if there is value to it would be appreciated
    Thank you very much
    Is thoughts on these errors from 1990 tops
    Is thoughts on these errors from 1990 top

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are non-recurring print defects. Pick up a stack of 100 Topps cards from that era and you'll be able to find similar on most cards.

Arthur