Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Found in the wild

jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 21, 2019 5:28AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I paid $7.79 for two slices of bad pizza on the MA turnpike late the other night...but I did get this harshly cleaned Mercury in change...

I've gotten a number of silver coins in change in the last few years...but it has been many years since I've been given a Mercury or Buffalo...only old wheats...never a Franklin half...in fact I haven't even gotten a Kennedy half in a while...

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is great...not just silver, but a Merc....Have not seen one of those in change - or the coinstar - in years. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jonruns Very nice circ silver find!

• Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find. Too bad about the pizza. :)

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, good luck for you! Finding silver in change seems to be popular here lately.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I guess that I can quit looking for that one. (sarcasm) Congrats on your silver recovery!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

You don't see those every day! :)

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mmmmmmm..free silver.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pizza joint probably thought they were duping you and passing a foreign coin to you. :D

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

indeed free silver

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice "score" !!!

Timbuk3
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

finding a silver coin in circulation is one of life's small pleasures!

when i was a kid in the early 70's, once a year, my stepdad used to let me roll the coins he saved. i could keep the nickels and cents and my mom got the quarters and dimes. we used them for christmas presents.

anyway, he taught me to pay attention for silver coins. i remember him saying, "you probably won't find any because they are pretty much gone from circulation now."

i rolled a bunch of coins over the years, until i was old enough for a job. i hardly ever found a silver coin. in fact, i don't remember finding any silver quarters...maybe just a few dimes or some wheat cents. occasionally, there was a franklin half.

recently, i have been finding silver in change and in coinstar machines. it doesn't happen often, but i think it's more frequent than before. my theory is that younger people are getting coins older people have saved and are spending them or cashing them in. they have little to no idea about silver coinage, or don't care.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file