Home U.S. Coin Forum

Think I Just Picked Up My First Ever Error Coin!

Rob41281Rob41281 Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was browsing ebay looking for coins to fill my 7070 and came upon this while looking through the large cents.
This would be considered a strike thru right?

Comments

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm leaning towards lamination also

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Defective or damaged planchet prior to strike. There is no line running thru the star which would indicate the damage was there before the strike.

• OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a lamination to me as well.

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it was a strike thru the top star would not be as strong

Frank

BHNC #203

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is pre-strike planchet damage...and yes, it is considered an error of sorts...Cheers, RickO

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is an error but not the kind you want to find. Lamination problems are considered a strong negative by many if not most collectors.

All glory is fleeting.
  • JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

Planchet flaws are considered a negative

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lamination for sure

• Rob41281Rob41281 Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well consider my bubble burst. When I saw it I knew from reading various posts here that it wasn't PMD- Post Mint Damage since the design was struck after the area was already damaged. Now I know of a new kind of PMD- Pre-Mint Damage.

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

Simple lamination, imo

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rob41281 said:
    When I saw it I knew from reading various posts here that it wasn't PMD- Post Mint Damage since the design was struck after the area was already damaged.

This right here says a lot. You learned from reading the forum, and had a good idea about what you were looking at.

Next steps are to learn how various errors affect value. But don't worry, the learning never ends.

In my own opinion, any error is collectible to some degree even if only for educational purposes, but they question is, at what point does the error hurt the other types of value a coin might have. For a common inexpensive coin, a major lamination or planchet flaw would increase value, for example.

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2019 12:36PM

Well done! Hope you continue seeking more errors/varieties. You'll find out in doing so, you'll discover that you entered a new journey in coin collecting. To me, it's very rewarding and exciting. Good luck

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file