Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is the overall demand for cards increasing or decreasing?

Is the overall demand for cards increasing or decreasing?

This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

I would say the hobby is very healthy right now

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭

Based on what I am seeing on the closing prices of the cards I am watching, the demand for cards is increasing.

Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

"Is the overall demand for cards increasing or decreasing?
    Yes
    No"

There's no wrong answer. >:)

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2019 6:30PM
    Yes

I voted yes because the question was about overall demand. Lower grade raw seems steady, but the iconic & rare stuff (Mantle, Clemente, Aaron, Jordan, and unopened) is climbing at a very high rate these days.

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I am always demanding more cards. I tell myself, "Self, you need more cards; I demand you, self, to get more cards." So, yes, the demand is increasing. Unless it's decreasing immediately after I make a big purchase. Then it's decreasing. But then I say, "Self..."

Andy

• Options
    JewVolJewVol Posts: 110 ✭✭

The question and answers provided are nonsensical. Yes it is increasing or decreasing vs no it is increasing or decreasing.

• Options
    yoda99yoda99 Posts: 184 ✭✭✭

I don't know if it is increasing but I'd just say the demand appears to be strong for well centered, decent looking material. The crappy looking stuff seems to sit out there for a long time.

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yoda99 said:
    I don't know if it is increasing but I'd just say the demand appears to be strong for well centered, decent looking material. The crappy looking stuff seems to sit out there for a long time.

This can be said for tying to hook up at a bar on the weekend as well.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

Yes. Demand is either increasing or decreasing. I suppose the other option is it could be staying the same.

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭
    Yes

I am noticing mid 2018 things were strong from an Auction House perspective. Then winter 2018 and into 2019 so far the AH prices for material seem to be soft or at a standstill. Nothing groundbreaking.

I truly believe this run up of card prices are a direct reflection of our economy. Anything that can be looked as an asset has gone up in a similar rate. Housing, stocks etc...its all relative the way I see it. These same things have softened in price over the last 6 months. Directly affecting card prices? I know i'm generalizing but that's how I am viewing the basic inventory.

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• Options
    CooptownCooptown Posts: 397 ✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:
    Are you doing a research paper?

If this is any type of thesis or dissertation, it's not going to get too far past the committee with a research question like that! The question and possible answers don't align!

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would've been nice if it had "don't know" since I'm not sure of stuff like that.

Mike
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yoda99 said:

First, EVERYTHING sells quickly if it’s priced right.

I would say the card market is seeing stronger prices as a result of the core market reaching an age where outstanding debt is starting to get lower and disposable income is getting incrementally higher. Then, you factor in that it is presently easier to get eyes on material than it has ever been historically (even just listing/looking on your own) and add to that the growing ‘investment’ market and coinciding huge growth of Heritage, REA, PWCC and Probstein123 in the ‘private’ auction marketplace (as well as many other smaller outlets) and you get much greater price competition for these already rare items.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cooptown said:

@LarkinCollector said:
    Are you doing a research paper?

If this is any type of thesis or dissertation, it's not going to get too far past the committee with a research question like that! The question and possible answers don't align!

Maybe the thesis regards how many coin/card collectors will respond to nonsensical polls? :D

• Options
    GilbeyGilbey Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    No

I said no because when I was a kid I would walk or ride my bike what seemed like a mile to buy a pack of cards. Now I just go on ebay and they bring them to me. I definitely wouldn't walk for them now though.