Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

90% or more complete? What is your outlook?

For those at 90% or better completion of your registry set/ sets, how do you feel about it?
Are you excited to finish?
Frustrated with the final hurdles?
At an impasse?
Anxious about what to do next?
Optimistic about what comes next?
Do you want a pedigree?

Are you keeping your set after completing it?
If so, how long?

I am at 96.28% there on a set over 300 coins. I have a few that will get me further not graded yet.

I am excited and anxious, lol. The last few are very difficult to locate or cost many multiples of common coins from the set. I optimistically look forward to achieving my future pedigree.
I plan to keep my set for at least another 20 years, continue to upgrade, and work on a few other smaller sets along the way.

Comments

• Options
    gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know if pcgs still does this, but years ago they would give you free gradings once your registry got to a certain percentage.

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gtstang said:
    I don't know if pcgs still does this, but years ago they would give you free gradings once your registry got to a certain percentage.

They still did this as of a year ago. I think 3 free or so at 90%.

When I completed my Seated Dime set, there was some sense of accomplishment and a large sense of relief. I plan to hold on to it until my daughter goes to college, or longer.

I'm not sure if I would choose to put a pedigree on my coins or not. Clearly most of us would feel good about seeing our name on the label. But I don't think the next owner would care for it, unless I were some sort of numismatic legend.

• Options

Collecting for over 50 years, Just recently listed a few modern sets on the registry. Looking forward to completion of my Roosie MS-66 set but frustrating trying to find common P & D's from the 80's and early 90's. I plan on keeping mine. I'll let my sons decide ( no collecting interest there ) what to do with them when I'm gone.

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tom1471 said:
    Collecting for over 50 years, Just recently listed a few modern sets on the registry. Looking forward to completion of my Roosie MS-66 set but frustrating trying to find common P & D's from the 80's and early 90's. I plan on keeping mine. I'll let my sons decide ( no collecting interest there ) what to do with them when I'm gone.

For the 80-90s I know what you mean, for a lot of these years it is almost easier to just buy mint sets and submit the ones you need.
    I choke a little each time I see a coin from this era priced over $30

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Once you are complete, you move to upgrade mode …. it never ends until you sell your set

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just recently completed my first set at 100%. I went about a year trying to find the last 3 dimes I needed. I just didn't sweat it and waited for the right coin to come along. They all find there way home eventually.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2019 10:18AM

I love my Kennedy registry sets. <3 They are 100% complete. I felt so emotional when I finally got that "last" coin to complete the series. I will keep my sets until my last breath, never to be sold. I have earmarked them to be passed on to some very lucky "great" nieces and nephews ( I do not have any grand children :'( ). As mentioned in an above post, I am now in upgrade mode and since I have never parted with a coin that I acquired, I have plenty of extras to start more lower graded sets. No pedigrees for me. I'd rather the kids say "UNKA Wayne gave these to us". I am already gearing them up to become collectors with various coin gifts. Love those 2019 Rocket coin sets.
    My pride set is ranked 5th with a grade and rating of 68.02, completion 100%, coins required 217.
    https://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistry/album/146564
    As always, good hunting,
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...