Home U.S. Coin Forum

Fun coins!

Hi All,

I'm a newbie here and, other than upsetting one individual that thinks fraudulence has acceptable gradations, everyone has been super kind and helpful. Thank you all for making me feel welcome!

Recently I enjoyed posting a couple images of a neat 55 DDO Lincoln on a tapered plachet and many seemed to enjoy viewing it. So I've decided to post a few more (what I feel are fun) coin images.

My personal passion in collecting for the past 25 years has been mainly high end registry quality varieties, especially Lincoln's (for which I'm an authority). However I greatly enjoy any coin with lots of rarity, drama, flash and pizzazz. I think they're all great! I especially enjoy coins wherein "the more you look at them the more you see".

Lastly, for any that may be interested, I'm about 30 days from launching my first "built from scratch" E-Commerce site. It's called EScottCoins.com. I have over 200,000 items in stock and 100% of my inventory is in a "click a button" database I created. With a click of a button I can see if I have what someone is looking for (no waiting for me to search to see if I have it) as well as 100% of the history of the item since I acquired it. Please feel free to PM me if I can be of any assistance! :smile:

On to a few (what I think are fun) coins:

I enjoy the catastrophic odds of flip over double struck in collar coins. Especially when they're well struck and rotated to an orientation that creates a lot of eye appeal. This 1975-D nickel is one of my favorites:

I enjoy any coin that is a nice representation of "something" over "something". This is a 1982 Panamanian 1/2B struck over a 1972 Kennedy half:

Double denominations are another genre I enjoy when the drama is high. This is one of my favorites. It's a 1999 15 cent piece:

And....how about a "Blast From The Past":

Lastly, just a couple nice thoroughbred varieties:

THANK YOU for allowing me to share and thanks to PCGS for providing this great place to do so!

Comments

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice @EScott83 thanks for sharing!

@ErrorsOnCoins and @FredWeinberg would probably like those error coins.

• AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2019 2:30PM

You have some really nice errors. Thanks for sharing. :)
    PS: Forgot to say: Welcome.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EScott83.... Wow... those are some unique errors.... Thank you for showing us... Cheers, RickO

• cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • EScott83EScott83 Posts: 90 ✭✭✭

Dear cmerlo1,

I have to ask (I've seen it here and it makes me giggle) what's with the "You Suck!" award?

Thanks!

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice and thank you for sharing !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are really sharp and unusual.
    I remember Lonesome John from back in the, probably 60's and 70's. I hope he finally met up with a mate ! ;)

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

John Devine passed away about 12 years ago.

One of the early pioneer Mint Error dealers.

He lived nearby, so I was able to have spent alot
    of time with him at the Error Club of Hollywood,
    and at his shop, here in the SF Valley.

Talk about promoting the hobby - he was great at it!

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

wonderful post, thanks

Frank

BHNC #203

• Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love those nickels!
    Newbury Park is in my neck of the woods, bummer I came too late to meet Lonesome John. Thanks for sharing

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice errors and DD cent. Welcome.

• cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EScott83 said:
    Dear cmerlo1,

I have to ask (I've seen it here and it makes me giggle) what's with the "You Suck!" award?

Thanks!

It can happen when you do a post about an awesome cherrypick or buy that's worth many times what you paid for it. Members will comment 'You suck!', bestowing the award on you.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

Terrific coins, I'm looking forward to seeing what other treasures you have when your site launches.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭

Outstanding group of errors. And welcome.

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coins posted! Thanks for sharing!

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome coins!

• CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks — very interesting group of coins indeed!

Got Crust....y gold?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file